C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 vs C6 HUD - Comments

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 05:31 PM
soulcoaxing
Acct suspended by request 21 Sept 2011

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5 vs C6 HUD - Comments

To GM: It's The Image Stupid

I do not dislike GM or C6s.

I acquired a C5 2001 vert in 2001, and have kept that vehicle. I acquired a 2011 C6 Z06 on Nov 6. Thus, I have a factual basis for my comparative comments here.

My C6 heads up display is no where near as good as the one on my C5. Yes, the new one has some good new functions: presents briefly with radio channel changes, and displays momentary navigational guide directions.

However, the size of the whole projected image on C6 is smaller than that of the C5, and the C6 projected image is much lower resolution than the C5 as evidenced by the slight but annoying pixelation. I am praying at this moment that some more knowledgeable soul will reply with a cure for both the small size and the pixelation: perhaps I remain ignorant of an available adjustment.

In the absence of such revelation, here is my GM scoreboard on that one aspect of my C6:

Points for conceiving and implementing heads up display in C5 Plus 10
Points for projecting ample proper size image on C5 Plus 10
Points for projecting a suitable image resolution on C5 Plus 10

Points for taking original brilliant masterfully implemented idea on C5 and diminishing the size of projected image on C6 Minus 10
Points for greatly reducing resolution of projected image on C6 Minus 10

Robert
Old 11-18-2010, 05:42 PM
digbyamb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6

I think it's fine,
Old 11-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I believe the C6 HUD is much improved over the C5 HUD. I used both on the track and the C6 unit is more visible than the one on my C5Z. The track mode tach settings are better and the G meter is a nice feature that provides good feedback to the driver.

Bill
Old 11-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
You can move the picture around, and it is possible to darken and lighten the image.

I think it's fine, and the new HUDs (all the way thru 2013 development cars) aren't much better.

The fact that GM is committed to OFFER the HUD in more and more cars is amazing on its own. Most cars don't have the option of a HUD.

(The funniest is the Camaro, it offers a HUD, something that less than 5% of all cars offer, while it doesn't offer a navigation system something which 80+% of cars offer. Go figure!)
You can buy a good Nav system for $150-$500 bucks that will beat any of the ones installed by automakers. Most nav systems are used infrequently but the HUD is used all the time. You can't buy heads up units that work well in the car unless they are designed into it.

Bill
Old 11-18-2010, 06:46 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

The HUD in my c6 is fine as well.It's better then what was in my c5!Better visibility,track mode,better configuration.I guess it's subjective to personal taste and all that,but personally,I think you're wrong in your hypothesis!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 08crm
The HUD in my c6 is fine as well.It's better then what was in my c5!Better visibility,track mode,better configuration.I guess it's subjective to personal taste and all that,but personally,I think you're wrong in your hypothesis!

The C6 HUD is way better. I still have and drive my C5 so I make the comparison every time I drive them.

The menu options on the C6 HUD are just CRAZY. They should be:

Tach: None/Linear/Round
G-Meter: On/Off
Gauge: None/Coolent Temp/Trans Oil Temp/Oil Pressure/Oil Temp
Street Mode:On/Off

The "Mode" Button would be used to cycle through the top level menu items (Tach, G-Meter, Gauge, Street, Quit) and the "Page" button to select the choices for each menu.

With this setup, you could customize the HUD to your likings. I like "Street" mode with the audio and navigation info, but I also like having the G-meter displayed. With the existing setup those two options are mutually exclusive.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Omega Man
Race Director

Location: I speak the truth. Harsh but accurate. The Woodlands Texas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Thrill6

The C6 HUD is way better. I still have and drive my C5 so I make the comparison every time I drive them.

The menu options on the C6 HUD are just CRAZY. They should be:

Tach: None/Linear/Round
G-Meter: On/Off
Gauge: None/Coolent Temp/Trans Oil Temp/Oil Pressure/Oil Temp
Street Mode:On/Off

The "Mode" Button would be used to cycle through the top level menu items (Tach, G-Meter, Gauge, Street, Quit) and the "Page" button to select the choices for each menu.

With this setup, you could customize the HUD to your likings. I like "Street" mode with the audio and navigation info, but I also like having the G-meter displayed. With the existing setup those two options are mutually exclusive.
The options ARE better on the C6 vs the C5. The actual display and display quality is actually better int he C5 than the C6.

It took me a while to adjust to the C6Z display compared to my 04 C5 coupe.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Jacksonslayer
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also have to agree. I own a c5 z06 and the actual image projected seems way clearer than that of a c6 (I've seen them both). I will agree that the c6 has better options but as far as clarity goes...it's night and day! C5 HUD FTW!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 vs C6 HUD - Comments

Quick Reply: C5 vs C6 HUD - Comments