Sponsored by:

Ontario Orange vs. Atomic Orange

Old 11-12-2010, 11:41 AM
rcsdvette
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ontario Orange vs. Atomic Orange

Hi All,

My 1974 Coupe is literally in the paint shop and I cannot make a decision on the color. I want to change the original Brown to an Orange. I am not a huge fan on the 1974 Corvette Orange. I have gone back and forth several times between Atomic Orange & Ontario Orange and even a Creamsicle color. I have searched hundreds of photos on this forum and I still can't make a final decision. Here are some of my questions:
Can someone please send some pics of Rubber Bumper cars that have been painted these colors?
My 74 is a restomod...is it gonna be a huge mistake to paint the car a non correct color for the year...or even the era if I go with Atomic Orange for resale purposes?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:58 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rcsdvette
Hi All,

My 1974 Coupe is literally in the paint shop and I cannot make a decision on the color. I want to change the original Brown to an Orange. I am not a huge fan on the 1974 Corvette Orange. I have gone back and forth several times between Atomic Orange & Ontario Orange and even a Creamsicle color. I have searched hundreds of photos on this forum and I still can't make a final decision. Here are some of my questions:
Can someone please send some pics of Rubber Bumper cars that have been painted these colors?
My 74 is a restomod...is it gonna be a huge mistake to paint the car a non correct color for the year...or even the era if I go with Atomic Orange for resale purposes?
Its a "restomod".... You've already made the decision that "resale" doesn't matter all that much. Paint it the color YOU want...

I know, I painted mine '69 Camaro Hugger Orange.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Makonut
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Like it was already stated, since it is a resto-mod, you are not going to hurt the resale value by changinging the color. The Atomic Orange is nice, but to me the Ontario Orange was one of the best colors Chevy used. It is more of a burnt orange than the Atomic orange. I think it just looks better on a C3 than the Atomic Orange. But in the end, it is your car and you should go for the color that really trips your trigger the most.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darker orange with lighter orange stripes
Old 11-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that hugger car looks sweet, Mako
Old 11-12-2010, 03:15 PM
rcsdvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
Its a "restomod".... You've already made the decision that "resale" doesn't matter all that much. Paint it the color YOU want...

That is SWEET!
Old 11-12-2010, 03:17 PM
rcsdvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Makonut
Like it was already stated, since it is a resto-mod, you are not going to hurt the resale value by changinging the color. The Atomic Orange is nice, but to me the Ontario Orange was one of the best colors Chevy used. It is more of a burnt orange than the Atomic orange. I think it just looks better on a C3 than the Atomic Orange. But in the end, it is your car and you should go for the color that really trips your trigger the most.
Agreed...It seems some C3's look great in Atomic Orange and other not so much. The Ontario Orange looks awesome on the 71 & 72's...has anyone ever seen it on a 74-77? Any pics?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:28 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I had the same conundrum with my car. All my friends and family were probably sick of being polled about different colors. I absolutely could not decide and ended up painting it white. I love it. Whatever you pick will look great.

You may have to put both in a hat and just pick.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What anyone else thinks doesn't really matter...it's what YOU think looks best. Go with what you like best.

But...if I have a vote in this, I'd go with Atomic Orange. It is one stunning color.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Your car came out really sharp!
Old 11-12-2010, 05:22 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Ontario Orange looks good...but Ontario Orange "Firemist" is spectacular. If you think the Atomic Orange color is a little too modern for your C3, the "Firemist" version of OO is really . It has a dense amount of small gold metallic particles in it that really changes the appearance of that color. It was an option available for those years OO was made available. If you haven't seen one, you really should before you make your final selection.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:35 PM
rcsdvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Ontario Orange looks good...but Ontario Orange "Firemist" is spectacular. If you think the Atomic Orange color is a little too modern for your C3, the "Firemist" version of OO is really . It has a dense amount of small gold metallic particles in it that really changes the appearance of that color. It was an option available for those years OO was made available. If you haven't seen one, you really should before you make your final selection.
Sounds nice. I will search the forum for some pics and the paint code...what about Paint Brand??? Is one manufacturer better than the other?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:43 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I've only seen it...know nothing about the specifics. Sorry.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:42 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

I was thinking the same thing. From my thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...e-on-a-c3.html
Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

I thought all Ontario Orange was FireMist, but in any event that is what is on my 72. The color changes depending on the light. I first saw the car on a cloudy, snowy day and it looked, well, dull Orange. I figured that we would get used to it. In sunlight, however, it looks Gold to Bronze with Orange highlights. Last week I had the car parked under typical parking lot lights at night and it looked like Gold.

When the car is repainted I will either go for the original paint if available or a base/clear paint that duplicates the look.

Rick B.

Cloudy/Snowy

Sunny

Old 11-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Mako,
I just need to jump in and join those who have complimented your Vette. The Hugger Orange looks great but it's also really set off by the black Baldwin Motion theme. Very nicely done- it's hard to stop looking at it.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:55 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a '71 vert, in the paint shop, not painted yet. It is origional Ontario Orange. I am very strongly leaning towards Atomic Orange, but would love to see the Firemist. Is it called Ontario Orange Firemist?

Get notified of new replies

To Ontario Orange vs. Atomic Orange

Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by eagle275
I have a '71 vert, in the paint shop, not painted yet. It is origional Ontario Orange. I am very strongly leaning towards Atomic Orange, but would love to see the Firemist. Is it called Ontario Orange Firemist?
According to my Black Book the color for 72 was Ontario Orange code 987. There was no alternative number. I read somewhere that OO was a Cadillac color, although I don't think I have ever seen an Orange Cadillac of that vintage.

Rick B.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:56 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Thanks Rick

that's what my trim tag says - 987. I want to see if anyone has a number for that Firemist color. Was it a custom paint or factory?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:00 PM
dmeesq
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ontario Orange vs. Atomic Orange