C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for a narrow garage door?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 10:25 AM
AddisonD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone above mentioned the lighting variations causing uncertainty about depth of field. I would solve that quickly with added lighting to make it all very visible. That should not be overly expensive in the scheme of vette ownership.

The mirror at the back would also be an aide for me - I like that idea a lot.

The christmas tree start lights are simply a fantastic addition, for multiple reasons. To make it red, you must have a sensor in that system, somewhere. I don't think I can make that thing, but I want one! The system JerryU has explained is also really cool. Want that, too!

Otherwise, I was taught to back up boat trailers at a young age. I learned what has been posted above: Once you know for sure the trailer and-or vehicle will physically fit, then get your line-up targets in mind, and trust your mirrors, and trust that the dimensions of everything are the same every time!

~

Last edited by AddisonD; 06-08-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:54 AM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryMJones
I built mine 10 years ago with 8 ft doors. Okay then but the Tahoe now has to have mirrows folded. My next big SUV will have auto folding mirrows.

But this helps get the Vette on it's spot. Center the tree and drive untill the red light comes on. Tree sequences from door opening. Best time so far is 12.0 sec.

I used to have a tennis ball for both side to side and all the way in. I built the Christmas tree last weekend and now just center the tree. Main thing is get straight before you pull in garage, then just leave the steering wheel straight. For some reason my wife insists on turning hard lock to the left before she stops. Making it difficult for her to back out.
LJ
Love the X-mas tree! Bet you could sell these on the side.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:56 PM
11Black-GS
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought one of those foam noodles that kids use in pools and cut it in half (to make two half moons) and put on the walls. Maybe you can do the same but line it up with your mirrors so that if you do get too close you are simply rubbing up against the foam.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:02 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

just measured mine upon reading this thread. both my doors measure 107 inches across, but, had the house built in 2008 and told the builder to extend the garage to 30 feet long instead of the normal 24'. i guess thats why the doors are a little bit wider than most. moved into the house after living in a townhouse that had narrow garage.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I feel your pain, I have exactly one inch of clearance on each side of my mirrors. It's my fault however, I have a regular two car garage, and when I bought my wife a new Lexus, it had to go in the garage of course. That moved my car over to the side with the workbenches, and the VTX1800. Since I need all of the above, I have one inch to get in, and cannot have a passenger in the car when I pull in. Just pull in straight, and watch the drivers side mirror for one inch...
Old 06-29-2013, 09:12 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Posted this on another Forum tread re mirror to mirror width. This solution is much better than trying to put in a wider door.
First, the C7 is listed as 73.9 inches versus the C6 at 72.6 or 1.3 inches wider. That is the body width. Than quoting a GM representative, the C7 mirrors are "somewhat wider" (assume for better blid spot visability.) Not sure what somewhat is in inches! Assuming the measurement for a C6 mirror to mirror is 82 5/8 inches then adding 2 inches is 84 5/8 inches- that doesn’t leave a lot of room for those of us with 8-foot garage doors. Mine measure 93 1/2 inches molding to molding. That leaves 4 7/16 inches on each side. That may be OK IF you can easily get perfectly 90 degrees to the door, but if coming in at a slight angle it may be close - especially at night! Having lots of time for my C7 on order to be delivered, I used 2 ideas from the Forum and made what will be a useful device when entering the garage-especially at night!
Purchased a 12-inch convex mirror used to make blind spots visible ($22 Amazon), a garage parking Laser and a spotlight. Mounted all three on a fabricated bracket that mounts to the garage door track. As someone in the Forum suggested, the Laser and spotlight are powered from the bulb in the garage door opener using a plug adapter, short bulb and a long power cord.
When the garage door bulb lights, the spotlight (mounted near the mirror) and the Laser are activated, and only then. The mirror is positioned to see the passenger side car mirror and the garage doorpost. The spotlite illuminates that area for night entry/exit. The Laser will hit a spot on the hood (not sure it’s needed but for $17 (Amazon) it was worth trying.) If you would like a photo, send me an email @ Jerry_Uttrachi@NetWelding.com.
Having always believed in the Andy Grove philosophy of “Only the Paranoid Survive” and having lots of time for the C7 to be delivered, thought about backing out of the garage. The above-mentioned system helps pulling in but what about the 1 in 1000 chance that when pulling out, after becoming complacent, the passenger mirror hits the door opening! Thought of a simply way to use a limit switch to sound a loud buzzer! For under $20 built this simple device that could save hundreds in repair. After a number of Google searches, it is obvious this is a big problem for some SUV’s and other wide cars. Full details are at www.netwelding.com/Reports_Vette_Info.htm

Last edited by JerryU; 07-01-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:29 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Posted this on another Forum tread re mirror to mirror width. This solution is much better than trying to put in a wider door.
First, the C7 is listed as 73.9 inches versus the C6 at 72.6 or 1.3 inches wider. That is the body width. Than quoting a GM representative, the C7 mirrors are "somewhat wider" (assume for better blid spot visability.) Not sure what somewhat is in inches! Assuming the measurement for a C6 mirror to mirror is 82 5/8 inches then adding 2 inches is 84 5/8 inches- that doesn’t leave a lot of room for those of us with 8-foot garage doors. Mine measure 93 1/2 inches molding to molding. That leaves 4 7/16 inches on each side. That may be OK IF you can easily get perfectly 90 degrees to the door, but if coming in at a slight angle it may be close - especially at night! Having lots of time for my C7 on order to be delivered, I used 2 ideas from the Forum and made what will be a useful device when entering the garage-especially at night!
Purchased a 12-inch convex mirror used to make blind spots visible ($22 Amazon), a garage parking Laser and a spotlight. Mounted all three on a fabricated bracket that mounts to the garage door track. As someone in the Forum suggested, the Laser and spotlight are powered from the bulb in the garage door opener using a plug adapter, short bulb and a long power cord.
When the garage door bulb lights, the spotlight (mounted near the mirror) and the Laser are activated, and only then. The mirror is positioned to see the passenger side car mirror and the garage doorpost. The spotlite illuminates that area for night entry/exit. The Laser will hit a spot on the hood (not sure it’s needed but for $17 (Amazon) it was worth trying.) If you would like a photo, send me an email @ Jerry_Uttrachi@NetWelding.com.
Having always believed in the Andy Grove philosophy of “Only the Paranoid Survive” and having lots of time for the C7 to be delivered, thought about backing out of the garage. The above-mentioned system helps pulling in but what about the 1 in 1000 chance that when backing out, after becoming complacent, the passenger mirror hits the door opening! Thought of a simply way to use a limit switch to sound a loud buzzer! For under $20 built this simple device that could save hundreds in repair. After a number of Google searches, it is obvious this is a big problem for some SUV’s and other wide cars. For details see: www.netwelding.com/Reports_Vette_Info.htm
Here are two pictures:

Last edited by JerryU; 08-03-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:43 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,085 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a 3 car garage, but I put the Corvette through the smaller garage door opening on the right.

I have about 6 inches space on both mirrors when passing through the door opening.

Lots of room opening up the drivers door, but if someone wants to get in or out of the passenger side, that is done when the car is outside of the garage.

You can see the smaller garage door on the photo below.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:57 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I have a 3 car garage, but I put the Corvette through the smaller garage door opening on the right.

I have about 6 inches space on both mirrors when passing through the door opening.

Lots of room opening up the drivers door, but if someone wants to get in or out of the passenger side, that is done when the car is outside of the garage.

You can see the smaller garage door on the photo below.

looks like you've been driving on the lawn with your vette. is that a tire mark i see on the left side?
Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 AM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that a 57 sporster in garage?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:12 PM
ZBEE 062
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar problem with less than 2 ins clearance on each side of the tires and the outside of the rails of a lift (see vette in pic below). I employed a high tech approach and taped a 4x6 card to the left side post and adjusted the position so that there is just zero clearance with the drivers side mirror when the wheels are centered on the lift rails. I also included a card taped to the garage door frame on the passenger side to help with the line up as the approach is critical.

If there is enough demand I could probably supply these Corvette Position Locators for a large fee, .....with corvette flags crayoned on there would be an additional charge. :-)

Old 06-11-2019, 08:23 AM
RichardChristopher
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for sharing your tips on narrow garage doors.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:10 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,663 Likes on 1,696 Posts

My basement garage is fairly narrow; I have about 1" clearance to each mirror on my F-150. The entrance curves, and there are deck posts on one side. I back in without issue because I learned how to use my side mirrors. One of the best tips given is to watch the driver's side and stay close there; if you clear that side you know the passenger side is also going to clear. The Vette lives in this garage in the winter; it's a piece of cake to park it compared to the F-150.

Last edited by BadAV; 06-12-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:06 AM
jpm995
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

I have a red traffic cone put on tapemarks at the exact middle of the garage towards the back. It gives me a starting point to aim for. Also puts me at the exact dept. I wouldn't try backing in its too close.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Shelstin
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a 16x7 insulated door on the front garage, and an 18x8 insulated door in the alley on the $35,000 30x40 shop I built for my $3,000 boat. I have no trouble with doors messing up or being too heavy with a standard 1/2 horsepower garage door opener. As far as narrow doors go, practice makes perfect. Next house, make sure you get wider doors!
Old 06-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by The Sandman
I just measured. It is exactly 94 inches. From brick to brick 98, but the moldings take up 2 inches on each side.

What am I asking? Techniques? Products they may sell to put on the sides so the car wont scratch as easily if it touches? I dont know? Anything at all?

That is a little tight. When I built my garage, I went with 9 foot doors. Seems like they weren't really thinking when they built the house.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:20 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I have a single garage door 9-foot is the standard no problems here.

Quick Reply: Tips for a narrow garage door?