Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt squeak cure.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Zorlac
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give it a shot. My new belts are Dayco from Advance. I guess I'll have to order Gatorbacks. I can't find anyone in the Birmingham metro that carries them. I guess they were banned in Alabama for starting with Gator.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Harry Marsh
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zorlac
I'll give it a shot. My new belts are Dayco from Advance. I guess I'll have to order Gatorbacks. I can't find anyone in the Birmingham metro that carries them. I guess they were banned in Alabama for starting with Gator.
Maybe a goodyear store, for the gatorback (order it in)

Yea, the dayco is the one i got from advanced auto
Improvement on the squeek, but still a squeek....

Never a noise from the gatorback
Old 03-22-2012, 11:43 AM
no01k
Advanced

Soap seems to quiet them for a few days...will it cause any harm?
Old 03-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Grapela
Intermediate

Had a dealer tell me it is the harmonic balancer and they wanted $950 to replace I walked out. Should I try the gatorbelt first or should I change out the harmonic balancer? How hard of a job is it for someone mildy handy?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Zorlac
Burning Brakes

I followed up on another thread I started but I'll put it here as well. I was absolutely sure my squeek was a bad AC bearing. Well my tensioner was loose. I tightened it back up and my problem went away.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:49 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

More often than not its a worn tensioner. They part you "tension" leans forward ever so slightly and causes the belt to slide across it as it rolls this causes the squeak. Any substance that lubricates that sliding temporarily fixes the problem but it comes back
Old 03-23-2012, 11:00 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

The replacement of the balancer is not a job for the occasional part time mechanic. Its a big job, dont start it if you dont have extensive mechanical experience.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 AM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

well I was glad to find out my squeaking was from some damn old belts. Snagged 2 gatorbacks from amazon and changed them out last weekend. Wanted to wait a week of early morning starts to see if the noise would stop, sure enough not a peep.

I also read that those who've had harmonic balancer issues were able to physically see the balancer wobble about. The wife and I both took turns looking at the the balancer along with every other wheel and not so much as hint of a wobble from any of them. I'm seriously hoping it stays that way too.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:59 AM
BRKLYN
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by EMINENT 1
Thanks for the info. Here's hoping I never need it though. I'll use up this $1 bottle of Comet before I have to turn a wrench.
nope! you'll need to replace tensioner or a pulley, if not they could seez on you and break the belt. I had tha same annoying noise till I changed the tensioner, e z fix....
Old 03-23-2012, 02:14 PM
corpsedub
Heel & Toe

my belt squeal fix:

12.99$ master pro belt AC belt from o'reily

done.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 PM
no01k
Advanced

Mine goes away after I drive for a while.....what do you think
Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 PM
artfahie
Burning Brakes

I just went through this in the past few days. I tried "belt dressing".... it made it worse than ever ! I then brought it to my local guy who spent a few minutes with it and determined it was the AC belt... he HATES belt dressing... he went with a can of NAPA silicone... it stopped squeeking and hasn't started again YET... I'll have to see.

A few years ago I paid good money for a water pump, mine (it seems) was leaking a tiny amount of fluid (Antifreeze and all) onto a belt below it and making it squeek. This was an expensive deal but it did the trick... until now.

You just never know about these things.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 PM
trenchgun
Advanced

A belt "squeaking" was the only problem I noticed after I bought my
2002 C5 in December. The previous owner had replaced the belt tensioner and possibly the two belts prior to me buying the car. I tried belt dressing spray and it did not work. Finally took the car to my mechanic, he said that belt dressing does not work on those types of belts. They replaced both belts and cleaned up the pullys, the belt dressing caused more problems and solved none. Unknown brand of belts they used, after both belts replaced and pully's cleaned, the squeak went away. No more belt dressing for me in the future!

Quick Reply: Belt squeak cure.