Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

best over the counter wax

Old 09-01-2010, 12:48 PM
timritchieblue
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best over the counter wax

i knw this has been beat to death, just lookin for a good wax i can get at auto zone. i bought my car 3 months ago, and have put 4k on it, been cleannin it the whole time, but the paint doesnt feel as slick as it did, when i bought it. car still looks great, but its a D.D., and sits outside, so im tryin to protect it.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:23 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timritchieblue
i knw this has been beat to death, just lookin for a good wax i can get at auto zone. i bought my car 3 months ago, and have put 4k on it, been cleannin it the whole time, but the paint doesnt feel as slick as it did, when i bought it. car still looks great, but its a D.D., and sits outside, so im tryin to protect it.

While I would LOVE to sell you some products (plug: www.properautocare.com) you can get some really nice stuff over the counter.

If the paint doesn't feel as slick (or smooth) as it did when you bought it, and it sits outside, I absolutely clay it first!!!!

Meguiar's, Mothers, and a few others sell clay kits OTC. If you can get the Clay Magic kit (I have seen them at some Autozone's) I would go with that, if not not, go with the Meguiar's or Mother's.

Again, because your car is going to be a daily driver, I would use a cleaner wax instead of a pure wax. The wax will help keep the paint free of contamination and remove any oxidation, so that it almost polishes the paint every time it is applied.

I would go with Meguiar's ColorX if it is available.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:53 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with Todd, clay it first then try a cleaner wax or Meg's NXT has a bit of cleaning agents in it, you can get that at most stores.

Josh
Old 09-01-2010, 04:29 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Look for Meguiars Professional Series (brown bottles) as possible. They offer everything from paint cleansers, to polishes, to waxes. Duragloss would be another line you can often find locally and its darn nice too, especially the TPP in black bottle with yellow label. Mothers can be found locally and split into several lines including Reflections and Synwax.

Hopefully this helps to deal with car and shows the steps to consider:

we have free shipping on orders over 95 for next couple hours as a backup. Grabbing a couple great washes, paint cleanser, clay, and wax should get you close. Then consider the BOGO area or Special Values as needed. Just a option.

www.autogeek.net

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 09-01-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:38 PM
hplacecf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timritchieblue

Why limit yourself to what you can buy over the counter when there are some very good, if not great, products available via the internet - including from sponsors of this forum?

( Looking at your car, and your avatar (whoa!), you do not appear to be one to settle. I mean that in the very nicest way. )

I use Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. It makes Torch Red pop (i Have a 1996 Torch Red vette, so I know). Might be worth the extra effort of buying a very good product that lasts via the internet.

Best of luck with your car whatever you decide to get to protect it.

Last edited by hplacecf; 09-01-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Tom's_03SVT
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Meguiar's
Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The ONLY product I've ever used from Meguiar's that does NOT leave white residue in the cracks is NXT. If you're like me and absolutely hate trying to get the waxy white residue off the entire car after you've waxed it - you'll only use their NXT. Their cleaner wax and Gold Wax are both notorious for leaving white residue. I gave all my Meguiar's products away....except the NXT
Old 09-09-2010, 06:13 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SSTEVEGS
The ONLY product I've ever used from Meguiar's that does NOT leave white residue in the cracks is NXT. If you're like me and absolutely hate trying to get the waxy white residue off the entire car after you've waxed it - you'll only use their NXT. Their cleaner wax and Gold Wax are both notorious for leaving white residue. I gave all my Meguiar's products away....except the NXT
Megs offers several pure sealants in the professional line (brown bottles) that should not leave a white residue. Often times it boils down to the cleaners and polishes in those products that leave trails.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:51 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

For OTC I like NXT 2.0 easy to apply and remove, plus leaves a great shine. That being said as others have mentioned why not just order all the products you need many of which are better than OTC products and do it right. One order and you are all set.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:47 PM
James92
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nxt 2.0 or Turtle wax ice, with the Ice a little goes a long way and you can apply and remove the sealant in a half hour and it can go on all the surfaces, it leaves a nice shine and is very slick once it cures. No wax residue. This is a pic after a claybar session and then sealed with Ice.

Last edited by James92; 09-20-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:30 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by James92
that picture gets me everytime!

as for OTC- Duragloss it is so similair to zaino that many of the zainophiles i know have switched over.

id buy some swirlx to go over the car and clean up the light spiderwebbing, and then use the duragloss
Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

The Ice leaves a great shine although short lived. User friendly goes on anywhere like James92 stated, no white residue.

Con...attracts dust like crazy!

A little goes a long way and will be easier to remove. Use a little detail spray if having any streaking is present.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:02 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I use NXT 2.0 or Meguiar's Cleaner Wax #6 (professional, tan bottle) on my daily driver. I also used Swirl X this weekend by hand with very good success. It doesn't last as long as some other waxes but it is easy to apply and remove and shines pretty well.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:16 AM
James92
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
I use NXT 2.0 or Meguiar's Cleaner Wax #6 (professional, tan bottle) on my daily driver. I also used Swirl X this weekend by hand with very good success. It doesn't last as long as some other waxes but it is easy to apply and remove and shines pretty well.
SwirlX is a polish that needs to be sealed with a sealer like NXT when you're done. SwirlX is not a wax.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:43 AM
REZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Duragloss

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
that picture gets me everytime!

as for OTC- Duragloss it is so similair to zaino that many of the zainophiles i know have switched over.

id buy some swirlx to go over the car and clean up the light spiderwebbing, and then use the duragloss
do you use duragloss and if so which products and how
Thanks
Arnie
Old 11-27-2010, 01:09 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by REZ1
Thanks
Arnie
consider Duragloss wash, TPP (yellow label) and Aquawax. Your gonna love the look. You can add a a paint cleanser or polishing between wash and sealant as desired.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:11 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P21S 100% CarnaubaWax (S100) in a motorcycle retail shop
Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by REZ1
Thanks
Arnie
yes, i use the shampoo i think its dg #901, smells like cherries and is very slick and cleans awesome!
on my white truck i'll use the rv and marine polish #501 which is a cleaner sealant that leaves my white paint just glistening and then i'll top with the their clear coat polish #111 which locks in the shine for 4-5 months. After that i'll maintain with their fast clean and shine detailer after every wash.

on the black cars ill skip the 501 and use a boutique synthetic glaze (chemical guys ez creme) and then apply the #105 total performance polish, and maintain with aquawax.

for those who are curious alot of people agree that these would be the approximate equivalents to the zaino line:
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...ss-lineup.html

Get notified of new replies

To best over the counter wax

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best over the counter wax