C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep Throwing p0137 and p0157 code

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:28 PM
83Camaro
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Keep Throwing p0137 and p0157 code

The code only happened like once in a year, now im getting both everytime i drive around for awhile and hot rod the car when i floor it, it throws both codes, i erase, and they come back after really driving it hard again, any ideaS? It only does this when driven hard everyday driving it never trips. Makes me think its somehow heat related or something

I dont have headers just a corsa cat back exhaust as far as i know.

Last edited by 83Camaro; 03-27-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:59 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Document ID# 791400
2002 Chevrolet Corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTC P0137 or P0157
Circuit Description
The powertrain control module (PCM) supplies a voltage of approximately 450 mV between the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) high and low signal circuits. The oxygen sensor varies the voltage from approximately 1,000 mV when the exhaust is rich, through approximately 10 mV when the exhaust is lean.

The PCM monitors and stores the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) voltage information. The PCM evaluates the HO2S voltage samples in order to determine the time during which the HO2S voltage was out of range. The PCM compares the stored HO2S voltage samples taken within each sample period and determines if the majority of the samples are out of the operating range.

The PCM monitors the HO2S voltage for being fixed below a predetermined voltage. If the PCM detects the voltage is below a predetermined voltage, a DTC sets.

Conditions for Running the DTC
DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0200, P0300, P0410, P0440, P0442, P0446, P0452, P0453, P1120, P1125, P1220, P1221, P1258, P1415, P1416, P1441, P1514, P1515, P1516, P1517, or P1518 are not set.
The ignition 1 signal is between 9-18 volts.
The fuel tank level remaining is more than 10 percent.
The loop status is Closed.
Intrusive tests are not in progress.
Scan tool output controls are not active.
Lean Test Enable
The air fuel ratio is between 14.5:1-14.7:1.
The throttle position (TP) indicated angle is between 3-70 percent more than the value observed at idle.
Power Enrichment Test Enable
Power enrichment is active.
The above condition is met for 2 seconds.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
Lean Test
The HO2S voltage is less than 80 mV for 400 seconds.

Power Enrichment Test
The HO2S voltage is less than 420 mV for 10 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
Diagnostic Aids

Important
Before you service the PCM and throttle actuator control (TAC) module, remove any debris from the module connector surfaces. Inspect the module connector gaskets when you diagnose and replace the modules. Ensure that the gaskets are correctly installed. The gaskets prevent contaminate intrusion into the modules.
For any test that requires probing the PCM or a component harness connector, use the J 35616-A Connector Test Adapter Kit. Using this kit prevents damage to the harness/component terminals. Refer to Using Connector Test Adapters in Wiring Systems.

The PCM sets this DTC when the vehicle runs out of fuel.
The heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) wire--The sensor pigtail may be in contact with the exhaust manifold or the exhaust system.
An oxygen supply inside the HO2S is necessary for proper operation. The HO2S wires provides the supply of oxygen. Inspect the HO2S wires and connections for breaks or for contamination. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Inspect for an intermittent ground in the signal wire between the connector and the sensor.
Lean injectors--Perform the Injector Balance Test. Refer to Fuel Injector Balance Test with Tech 2 or Fuel Injector Balance Test with Special Tool .
Fuel contamination--Water near the in-tank fuel pump inlet can be delivered to the injectors. The water causes a lean exhaust and can set a DTC. Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis .
The fuel pressure--The system will be lean if the fuel pressure is low. Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis .
Any exhaust leaks--An exhaust leak near the HO2S can cause a lean condition. Refer to Exhaust System Description in Engine Exhaust.
Vacuum or crankcase leaks can cause a lean condition.
If the above conditions are OK, the HO2S may be at fault.
For an intermittent condition, refer to Intermittent Conditions .
Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

If the HO2S voltage is fixed below the specified value, this indicates a short to battery ground or to a chassis ground.

Using the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data may help to locate an intermittent condition. If you cannot duplicate the DTC, the information included in the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data can help to determine how many miles have occurred since the DTC set. The Fail Counter and Pass Counter can also be used to determine the number of ignition in which the diagnostic reported a pass and/or a fail. Operate the vehicle within the same Freeze Frame conditions that the PCM recorded, including the RPM, the load, the vehicle speed, and the temperature. This procedure isolates when the DTC failed.

A sensor that is disconnected should indicate a bias voltage. If the voltage is low, inspect the signal circuit for a short to ground.

Step
Action
Value(s)
Yes
No

Schematic Reference: Engine Controls Schematics

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check-Engine Controls?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls

Start and run the engine until normal operating temperature is reached.
With a scan tool, observe the HO2S voltage for the sensor that applies to this DTC.
Is the HO2S voltage less than the specified value?
80 mV
Go to Step 5
Go to Step 3

Change the throttle position more than 5 percent within 1 second, 6 times.
Observe the affected HO2S voltage with a scan tool.
Is the HO2S voltage within the specified range?
350-550 mV
Go to DTC P0140 or P0160
Go to Step 4

Observe the Freeze Frame/Failure records data for this DTC.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Start the engine.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text or as close to the Freeze Frame/Failure records data that you observed.
Does the DTC fail this ignition?
--
Go to Step 5
Go to Diagnostic Aids

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the HO2S connector for the sensor that applies to this DTC.
Jumper the HO2S low signal circuit terminal on the engine harness side to a known good ground.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Observe the HO2S voltage with a scan tool.
Is the HO2S voltage within the specified range?
350-550 mV
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 7

The HO2S may be detecting a lean exhaust condition. Check for the following conditions:
Water intrusion into the HO2S connector
Exhaust leak between the HO2S and the engine
Vacuum leaks
Incorrect fuel pressure
Lean fuel injectors
Inaccurate MAF sensor
Repair any of the above or similar engine conditions as necessary.
Did you find and correct the condition?
--
Go to Step 13
Go to Step 9

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the PCM connector that contains the HO2S high signal circuit. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Replacement .
Test the HO2S high signal circuit for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
Go to Step 13
Go to Step 8

Test the HO2S high signal circuit for a short to the HO2S Low signal circuit. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 13
Go to Step 10

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the HO2S. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 13
Go to Step 11

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the PCM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 13
Go to Step 12

Replace the affected HO2S. Refer to Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Replacement Bank 1 Sensor 2 , or refer to Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Replacement Bank 2 Sensor 2 .

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 13
--

Replace the PCM. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 13
--

Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Start the engine.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.
Does the DTC run and pass?
--
Go to Step 14
Go to Step 2

With a scan tool, observe the stored information, Capture Info.

Does the scan tool display any DTCs that you have not diagnosed?
--
Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List
System OK
Old 03-28-2010, 09:47 AM
trussme
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

every time I would run mine "hard"...I would get these codes..especially with my set up.. Those 02 sensors have no effect on performance, they just monitor effectiveness ...with my HP Tuners we simply tuned them out...
Old 12-25-2010, 01:37 PM
JanCorvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trussme
every time I would run mine "hard"...I would get these codes..especially with my set up.. Those 02 sensors have no effect on performance, they just monitor effectiveness ...with my HP Tuners we simply tuned them out...
Could elaborate a bit more with this? HP tuners allows you to tuned 02 out? you say that 02 sensors have no effect on performance? I thought fuel enrichment could have due to a faulty o2 sensor. I have full exhaust,headers,etc..WHere i lived i don't have to pass emissions or anything like that. Could i just tuned them out? IS hp tuner the only system that allows this?
Old 12-25-2010, 02:16 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Could elaborate a bit more with this? HP tuners allows you to tuned 02 out? you say that 02 sensors have no effect on performance? I thought fuel enrichment could have due to a faulty o2 sensor. I have full exhaust,headers,etc..WHere i lived i don't have to pass emissions or anything like that. Could i just tuned them out? IS hp tuner the only system that allows this?

Your codes are for the REAR 02 sensors---The rear 02's only monitor the condition of the cats---The Front 02's correct the fueling during P/T via your fuel trims to try and achieve the stoich. AFR of 14.68
LT headers often create rear 02 codes----- You can "tune out" these codes by turning off the p0137 p0157 enablers and setting the DIC to "no mill" ALSO in the tune file turn the cat protection system OFF-- You'll need either HP Tuners or EFILIVE--Dynamic Spectrum Tuner
This will have NO affect on eng performance--actually may help with HP by eliminating unwanted enrichment at WOT ( when the rear 02 sensors report the cats are too hot ,the system dumps tons of fuel to cool them down--- I do this on every tune i do anyway---I have never seen any premature cat failure by doing it -- My personal GM 4x4 with over 200K miles still passes strict Calif smog with the stock cats and the COT turned off----
The following users liked this post:
solowkoe (10-13-2015)
Old 12-26-2010, 11:49 AM
JanCorvette
Instructor

I believe that this is my problem. I just recently bought the car, it already came with headers, catback and no cats. Previous owner said that no 02 sensors are in place. I believe he is refering to the rear sensors. En the car is cold it runs great but after i floor it a couple of times , (cat temps rises) and a enrichment mode comes into place. Car suffers performance, misfires, etc....

I need to resolve this situation ASAP. What is your recomendation? Tune them out? Replace front 02 sensors? Can I tune 02 with a SCT programmer?
Old 10-13-2015, 12:54 PM
solowkoe
1st Gear

Default p0157 issue no more

Originally Posted by tblu92

Your codes are for the REAR 02 sensors---The rear 02's only monitor the condition of the cats---The Front 02's correct the fueling during P/T via your fuel trims to try and achieve the stoich. AFR of 14.68
LT headers often create rear 02 codes----- You can "tune out" these codes by turning off the p0137 p0157 enablers and setting the DIC to "no mill" ALSO in the tune file turn the cat protection system OFF-- You'll need either HP Tuners or EFILIVE--Dynamic Spectrum Tuner
This will have NO affect on eng performance--actually may help with HP by eliminating unwanted enrichment at WOT ( when the rear 02 sensors report the cats are too hot ,the system dumps tons of fuel to cool them down--- I do this on every tune i do anyway---I have never seen any premature cat failure by doing it -- My personal GM 4x4 with over 200K miles still passes strict Calif smog with the stock cats and the COT turned off----
I know this is a old thread and this is more of a side note... but I thought it could be helpful to anyone who stumbles onto this thread.

I have a 98 camaro LS1 z28 that was throwing this p0157 code. I took it to the shop to get it smogged and payed the shop to replace the o2 sensor. they replaced the sensor and had me drive it. the code kept popping up. i left it at the shop for a week for them to fix and they said they checked everything up to the computer and everything is working. They told me I would need to buy a new computer to fix the issue and told me that I would have to get the computer. So i asked who to call for one. I called evereyone they suggested, plus a bunch of stores, online stores and salvage yards and could not find the computer (getting rare). The mechanic said he couldn't find one either and so left me with no help and just took my money.

I was getting frustrated when I found this thread. I read a bit more on what tblu92 said about deleting the codes. I sent him a private message to ask more questions because i really wanted to get the car done and was worried that this could cause it to not set the test has been preformed. He explained it a little more and told me what I would need to ask for when getting it programmed. He mentioned that he does this on many of his tunes and I noticed that he isn't to far from me (about 60 miles), so i asked if I could get him to do it for me. He was completely right! I was able to get the codes deleted and passed smog the same day! Saved me so much run around and headaches looking to replace the computer. thank you so much for the advice and help tblue92

Permanent fix FTW
Old 10-31-2015, 09:25 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Factory Stock w/ codes.

Old thread driver and car so I guess this question fits. I have the same 137 157 codes. Car is box stock the way it came from factory never changed O2 sensors. At full throttle acceleration this week Ck engine light came on. Pulled and got these codes. Pulled 15 fuse and verified good for power to O2 sensors is good.

I have ordered 2 O2 sensors thinking that at 110,000 miles with original sensors it is now just good maintenance to replace them even if it doesn't solver the problem.

With stock tune I would not expect some of the issues in this thread previously listed. I want to keep the car OEM as it is one of 170 produced. Hopefully there is a C7 in the future but not for now.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. BTW how difficult is it to reach the sensors to change, I dont' have a lift but jack stands. Any one change them have any advice?

Get notified of new replies

To Keep Throwing p0137 and p0157 code

Quick Reply: Keep Throwing p0137 and p0157 code