Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting to fixed position headlights

Old 03-21-2010, 06:49 PM
MadMikeyL
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to fixed position headlights

I am doing some work on my uncle's 82 vette, and one of the issues is the headlight system. I have seen pictures of cars where they basically removed the whole pop-up system and fitted in some headlight buckets, with a couple of square sealed beams sitting in there, but I can't seem to find any kits to convert it over. Does a kit exist, and if so, does anyone know where I can get one? Thanks.

Mike
Old 03-21-2010, 07:35 PM
elevatordude
Instructor

Are these the type you need? If so i have a set.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:39 PM
elevatordude
Instructor

I just looked at ecklers and mine are for 68-74 you need these 75-82.
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...0&dept_id=1353
Old 03-21-2010, 07:46 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Have you considered the type that sit slightly above the surface with small round halogen bulbs and a plastic cover that conformes to the shape of the round headlights? They look much better and they look more modern . The rectangular headlights are a dated item from the 70's. Maybe if someone has a picture of the ones I described , they will post it for you.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:07 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

Is your uncle aware of the value damage you are doing to the car? You might give him a head-up first.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:13 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

I love the rectangle recessed lamps...very cool custom trick that doesn't mod the car....so no damage to car or resale value.....the purists hate it,

It solves the bug eyed look of pop ups, plus the rectangle lamps go better with the lines of the car the round lamps tend to break up flow...be sure to rewire the quad rectangle lamps when you install in a C3...it is not a plug and play

And be sure to get the right set up for your year car....I believe I have a used set.

bj1k

What you are describing are like old road racer lights...wicked cool for the vintage racer look but way too bug eyed and killing the lines for my tastes

Old 03-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I like em' on certain cars

Old 03-22-2010, 06:28 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Jclgodale3
I like em' on certain cars

Overall, OK, but those headlights are a heavy weight to carry for a otherwise decent/slick looking car....

I just tired of the old over round antiquated look, it's no longer becoming on a sleek car like the shark....something much more modern is necessary, I used to have Eckler's scoops in my car also, first version after the lights were hit by a damn deer in '98....I was thinking of altering the operation and putting in lower profile bulbs, but it never got there...

those over large doors look like antiquated crap anyway, sour grapes, I Know....
More modern bulbs are in order, and the first person coming out with a kit using them can clean up....

Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Is your uncle aware of the value damage you are doing to the car? You might give him a head-up first.
This needs to be considered.
If you decide to do it anyway make absolutely certain you get a quality setup that the headlights can be easily adjusted up and down and side to side. Many of the changerovers have very very poor headlight adjustment hardware.
(I would try to find a setup that is totally bolt in and by all means save the parts you take out.)
Old 03-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The stock pop system can be restored to 100% functionality for way, way less than what you're going to spend on the Eckler's conversion.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:40 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I love the rectangle recessed lamps...very cool custom trick that doesn't mod the car....so no damage to car or resale value.....the purists hate it,

It solves the bug eyed look of pop ups, plus the rectangle lamps go better with the lines of the car the round lamps tend to break up flow...be sure to rewire the quad rectangle lamps when you install in a C3...it is not a plug and play

And be sure to get the right set up for your year car....I believe I have a used set.

bj1k

What you are describing are like old road racer lights...wicked cool for the vintage racer look but way too bug eyed and killing the lines for my tastes

No , the type I was referring to are much neater. The sit completely in the original opening , not on top . The type you showed look like something that you would see on a race car. The ones I referred to have small round halogen bulbs. Not my thing but they look good for fixed style headlights.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Rock'n Old
Instructor

I think this is a great solution.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:28 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
This needs to be considered.
If you decide to do it anyway make absolutely certain you get a quality setup that the headlights can be easily adjusted up and down and side to side. Many of the changerovers have very very poor headlight adjustment hardware.
(I would try to find a setup that is totally bolt in and by all means save the parts you take out.)
Ecklers do not mod the car...you can return to stock,
Have you seen many first hand? what company were junk?
Ecklers are top shelf...as are the ones I have for sale, all metal hardware and all adjustments are tight, too many people do not rewire for quad lights and just plug in and the light then is wrong.

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
The stock pop system can be restored to 100% functionality for way, way less than what you're going to spend on the Eckler's conversion.

Well perhaps since Eckelrs went up to 600.00 but used sets are sold all the time on craisglist and fleabay even my new set is just 250.00 most stock headlight stuff adds up quick.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:23 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Ecklers do not mod the car...you can return to stock,
Have you seen many first hand? what company were junk?
Ecklers are top shelf...as are the ones I have for sale, all metal hardware and all adjustments are tight, too many people do not rewire for quad lights and just plug in and the light then is wrong.
I've only actually had 3 in my shop to look at over the years and all 3 were not very good quality. I attempted to adjust 1 of them and got it close but the adjusters run out before I could get them to spec.
I have no clue as to what company made them but since you say Ecklers are good then these were most likely not from Ecklers.
There were several guys in Dayton that used to make fiberglass parts for Corvettes , its possible the ones I was seeing around town and at shows were all home grown.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:44 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
I've only actually had 3 in my shop to look at over the years and all 3 were not very good quality. I attempted to adjust 1 of them and got it close but the adjusters run out before I could get them to spec.
I have no clue as to what company made them but since you say Ecklers are good then these were most likely not from Ecklers.
There were several guys in Dayton that used to make fiberglass parts for Corvettes , its possible the ones I was seeing around town and at shows were all home grown.
I am not in the parts business but I do sell a few parts,
The recessed headlights I sell like ecklers does/did...granted I have not seen an Ecklers set in 10 years used all metal adjusters...which is a must,

Were the lamps rewired, if not rewired the wrong bulb is on at the wrong time...a big mess they must be wired like a 80 trans am for example a car that came with quad rectangle lamps

If the adjuster ran out then it would tell me something perhaps was wrong with the fiberglass parts....too thick or too thin fiberglass where the adjuster mounts would do this too....I have had to remove the adjuster grind down the pad then reinstall it to be able to adjust the lamps...but never with an Ecklers set....as you see I judge glass by what Ecklers used to make.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 PM
bstbrgr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have set call me at 630-772-0554
thanks Strat Matsas
Old 03-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Wuttin
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had them on my 79 when I bought it, but recently restored to pop-ups. I agree with the responder who stated repair the pop-ups is cheaper (and likely easier) than replace.

To the OP, as stated Eckler's sells a kit which is (IMHO) remarkably overpriced. Shop for used.

The kit does not include covers; they are an extra pile of $$; I made my own which worked out well.

I liked the look but I didn't like how the light was cut off by the edges of the frames..tunnel vision.

Best of luck,
Steve
Old 03-23-2010, 04:18 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What is wrong with what you have? The pop-up lights are part of the smoothness of the C3 package IMHO.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:45 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Converting to fixed position headlights

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Converting to fixed position headlights