Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

My C6 Audio Install

Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 AM
nearwater
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate your kind answers to my questions.
Looks like you're having a lot of fun installing the audio equipments now.
Please keep us updated, as I'm VERY interested in how this project turns out!
Thanks again!

Dan
Old 01-18-2010, 03:51 PM
acthegiant
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Amplifier Ground Location

Where are you grounding your amplifier(s)? Any issues with ground loops (alternator whine)? I have a similar configuration with the GMCO and seem to be haunted by a ground loop - moved the amp grounds from the passenger seat bolt to the factory ground point right behind the passenger seat near the seatbelt retraction mechanism, still have the ground loop. Making me crazy - temporarily put in a ground loop isolator and turned down the gain on the amps, but that is just hiding the problem.

Curious to see if you have had the same issue or not.

BTW - I have madvette's sound deadining kit, didn't work very well. I think the best option is to go to the Michelin PS tires (did that on my C5, huge difference), they are just soooo expensive right now (z06).

Best of luck.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:21 AM
MSO4
Racer

Originally Posted by nearwater
I really appreciate your kind answers to my questions.
Looks like you're having a lot of fun installing the audio equipments now.
Please keep us updated, as I'm VERY interested in how this project turns out!
Thanks again!

Dan
It's a big project, and I'm having a great time doing it. I'm definitely going to appreciate driving this car a lot more after this.

Originally Posted by acthegiant
Where are you grounding your amplifier(s)? Any issues with ground loops (alternator whine)? I have a similar configuration with the GMCO and seem to be haunted by a ground loop - moved the amp grounds from the passenger seat bolt to the factory ground point right behind the passenger seat near the seatbelt retraction mechanism, still have the ground loop. Making me crazy - temporarily put in a ground loop isolator and turned down the gain on the amps, but that is just hiding the problem.

Curious to see if you have had the same issue or not.

BTW - I have madvette's sound deadining kit, didn't work very well. I think the best option is to go to the Michelin PS tires (did that on my C5, huge difference), they are just soooo expensive right now (z06).

Best of luck.
I grounded my amp at the same place, sanded down the area before tightening up the bolt. I also tried to route all the wires as far from each other as I could. Power on passenger side, components on driver, subwoofer in the middle between the tunnel and the driver, etc. Did my best to make sure those wires contact each other as little as possible. So far clean crisp sound without noise.

As for the foil kit, I think of it more as a heat insulator, not noise insulator. I used MLV for noise insulation. I should be able to bolt of the seat tomorrow and hopefully take a car for a spin soon. It's been raining like mad here in so cal.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:55 PM
MSO4
Racer

A lot of late work meetings this week. But I was able to get the amp (Arc Audio 300.4) mounted behind the passenger seat. I silicone glued two 3 1/2" x 1/2" strips of wood behind the passenger wall to mount the amp. Feels pretty secured and I like the way it looks. Hopefully won't have any problems bolting the seat back.

Still deciding how to running the other misc wires (radar detector, rear view camera, and mic) prior to bolting everything back up.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 PM
69r
Heel & Toe

Default Clean install!

I want to complement your thorough and well thought install. I've made a pretty good living for 23 years now installing custom 12v systems and it's been awhile since I've seen someone do such a great job! Pat yourself on the back. 69r
Old 01-25-2010, 02:30 PM
MSO4
Racer

Originally Posted by 69r
I want to complement your thorough and well thought install. I've made a pretty good living for 23 years now installing custom 12v systems and it's been awhile since I've seen someone do such a great job! Pat yourself on the back. 69r
I appreciate the kind words. At first I didn't know how this project would turn out since it is my first time. But looks like things are falling where they should be and I'm very happy with the results.

Right now I'm on my last stage of the install. I put all the stereo related stuffs together this weekend with the exception of the rearview camera. Prior to putting the front radio console together I hardwired the Passport detector, ran the microphone to the left pillar, and finally ran the ipod wire into the center armrest compartment.

Now the finished product!

I used this opportunity to upgrade to the carbon fiber '08 front radio console. I love the way it looks.

And here are the rest of the install with the exception of the back wall trunk panel since I'm working on mounting the rearview camera. I put the crossovers in the driver's vette bin cubbie. I want everything out of sight as much as possible.

You probably want to know how this thing sounds. Absolutely amazing compared to what I've been used to. Now that's even before it's being tuned. I'm still gathering information on how to tune this system. I'll give it a week for the system to break in and I will start tuning it. Tuning probably deserves its own thread so I'll start that. So far I love the sound. The bass hits hard and the highs are clean and crisp. There are absolutely no interior panel vibrations at all.

The steering wheel radio control works flawlessly and without delay. When I installed the SWI-PS I ran it into the the glove box and velcro it to the roof of the glove box. This is just in case I change my mind about which buttons to use for what. I can change it without taking everything apart.

Now what about the sound insulation you ask? Well I took her for a drive and to be honest I don't remember what this car sounds like before since it's been 3 weeks since I've driven her. Also the back wall has not been put back together so I don't know if that might affect the results. I do hear a lot of wind noise now. I remember a couple interior panel buzzes and they are all gone. Every time I hit a bump the car has a more solid thump to it now. But quantitatively I cannot put a number now how much improvement the sound insulation has made. I took my BMW and drove it back to back with the Vette and I can say the BMW is quieter. Before I thought the BMW was a lot quieter. I think the only way to truly measure the improvement would be to drive to the car back to back with another vette.

Later this week I'll post more thoughts on this install and what I might have done differently. It's been fun.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 PM
BlackC6LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome install! You did a great job. It makes me want to get out there and start on mine.

I have a couple of questions for you.

Do you have a picture of the mic install?

What did you paint the speaker plates with?

Did you seal the Madvette box in any way or did you install it as is?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 01-26-2010, 11:34 PM
MSO4
Racer

Originally Posted by BlackC6LS3
Awesome install! You did a great job. It makes me want to get out there and start on mine.

I have a couple of questions for you.

Do you have a picture of the mic install?

What did you paint the speaker plates with?

Did you seal the Madvette box in any way or did you install it as is?

Thanks,

Dave
I ran the mic along with the radar detector cable to the driver's pillar and wedged the mic between the panels. The mic is pointed toward the driver.

With the speaker plates, I just grab a $5 flat black paint can from Home Depot.

As for the Madvette box, I do not quite understand what you're referring to. I thought the box is already sealed. I see glue inside the box so just assumed it's sealed. If you haven't order the Madvette box or anything else from them. I suggest you get it from someone else. They have the worse customer service and the slowest shipping time ever.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:32 AM
Priya Palse
2nd Gear

Amazing..
It must be very enjoyable to do all the process...
I can't wait to buy one C6 for myself....
Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 AM
BlackC6LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MSO4
As for the Madvette box, I do not quite understand what you're referring to. I thought the box is already sealed. I see glue inside the box so just assumed it's sealed. If you haven't order the Madvette box or anything else from them. I suggest you get it from someone else. They have the worse customer service and the slowest shipping time ever.
I ordered one 12/8 and finally got it in January. I think its sealed too but wasn't a 100% sure it was air tight. That's why I was asking if you did anything to make sure of this.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:29 PM
MSO4
Racer

Well, the system is official done! I started this exactly a month ago and mostly worked on it during the weekends. I'm happy to say she's finished. Would I ever do this again if I had the chance? ABSOLUTELY! It's been a lot of fun and I'm glad I did it.

The last thing I did was installing the rearview camera. Originally I was thinking about one of those license plate camera but I changed my mind and wanted something more OEM. So this is what I did.

The camera is mounted on the passenger side of the license plate. I was contemplating the driver side but I saw a bunch of new Lexus and BMW with the camera on the passenger side (in the past I saw them on the driver side). Anyways, I figure I might be able to see the curb on the passenger side when I back into so this might be good. On the C6 you cannot mount them in the middle of the since that is where the key and hatch unlock button are located.

For the mounting hardware I used some clips that came with my 6.5 components set. For cutting the plastic hole I used a knife. Standing a couple feet away you barely notice it's there. The camera resolution is extremely sharp. As for the black corners you see on the monitor, those are actually part of the car's bumper caught by the side angle lenses. I'm very happy with the results.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 PM
johnnywoz
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MSO4
If not the Madvette sub box, then who would you recommend? JL Stealthbox?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:56 AM
nearwater
Racer

This thread has got to be one of the most detailed step-by-step threads ever.
Glad everything turned out perfect, and I thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with us.
I LOVE that rear camera install as well. VERY OEM-like.
Makes me wanna do a whole new audio installation this spring.

Dan
Old 02-02-2010, 01:20 AM
MSO4
Racer

Originally Posted by johnnywoz
If not the Madvette sub box, then who would you recommend? JL Stealthbox?
I have not had any personal experiences with the JL box. You might want to check out these guys too:

http://www.4080enclosures.com/shop40...sp?idProduct=8

Also ask your local stereo installers. I did not know about this option until after I ordered my box. Finally check the used parts section.

As for my speaker plates I got them here:

http://nakidparts.com/id28.html

They were literally shipped the next day and I got it within 2 days. Now that's service.

Originally Posted by nearwater
This thread has got to be one of the most detailed step-by-step threads ever.
Glad everything turned out perfect, and I thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with us.
I LOVE that rear camera install as well. VERY OEM-like.
Makes me wanna do a whole new audio installation this spring.

Dan
You're welcome Dan. I love the way that camera turned out too. I wanted an OEM look and that's what it looks like.

As for the sound system, I'm beginning to fine tune her and the results are very encouraging. I love my new system. Everything sound so good!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:58 AM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet! This ought to be a sticky! Very nice job. I loved installing my system, too. Since my C6 is a DD, no opportunity to spend 4 weeks to do everything - I wouldn't be able to get to work!!! LOL.

RMX
Old 02-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Rich2006Z51
Heel & Toe

I have a question. I'm installing a Kenwood Excelon DNX9140 Nav system to replace my stock Bose Nav, Curently the Bose Nav displays in my HUD. Can I hook my new Aftermarket Nav sys up to my HUD? This is on a 2006 Z51.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:02 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, you lose that feature.

Get notified of new replies

To My C6 Audio Install

Old 02-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Rich2006Z51
Heel & Toe

Default Thx

That sucks, But Thank You for the info. It’s not an option I use much, in fact I've only used it maybe 4 times. But I like having options. So I had to ask. I have another ?. What wire harness would you recommend? I'm not keeping anything from the Bose system. New Nav unit, Amps, Component Speakers, And Subs.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Rich2006Z51
Heel & Toe

I have another quick question for MS04. Where did you get that dash kit? It almost looks factory. The one I was thinking about buying looks like dark w/ rough texture at best buy.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich2006Z51
What wire harness would you recommend?
If you don't have or don't want to keep OnStar, get the GMCO (recently changed to C2R-GM24).

With onstar you need both GMAH24 and GMAHCM.

This thread details all of the parts you need, and this one shows you what to do with them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My C6 Audio Install