Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overview of SCCA's STO Class

Old 10-06-2009, 10:12 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Overview of SCCA's STO Class

All, below are some general specs for cars eligible for SCCA's new in 2009 STO (Super Touring Over) class. This is a Corvette and Viper class with many modifications permitted, the ones we all want to make on our cars. These cars ARE fast.

SCCA’s STO class.

Corvette 5.7 3135 lbs
Corvette 6.0 3300 lbs
Corvette 6.2 3400 lbs
Corvette 7.0 3300 lbs 60mm flat plate or 45mm SIR
Viper 8.0 3135 lbs 60mm flat plate
Viper 8.3 3300 lbs 60mm flat plate

12.0 max compression ratio
.600” lift camshaft
Headers permitted
Port & polish cylinder heads permitted
Stock crankshaft, pistons and con rods open

Rear gears and trans gear open
Carbon clutches permitted
Traction control permitted

18x11 front 18x13 rear max wheels
Tires unlimited

355x33 brake rotor max size
6 piston max calipers permitted
ABS permitted w/factory brake system
Water cooling for brakes permitted

12” wide wing not extending beyond body permitted
Front splitter permitted

I can see some great cross over between this class and NASA's ST1. Two places to race the same car!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

WhiteKnight Ingle or whatever his name is will still find something to complain about.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:35 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know we should have one but is a fuel cell required to run SCCA? I was going to run the Regional @ Mid O this weekend but it looks like I need a cell. (am I reading it wrong?)
Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mrc24x
I know we should have one but is a fuel cell required to run SCCA? I was going to run the Regional @ Mid O this weekend but it looks like I need a cell. (am I reading it wrong?)
Per the GCR:

"The use of a fuel cell is required unless the stock fuel tank is located between the axles center lines and within the main chasis structure..." (ie frame rails)
Old 10-06-2009, 11:22 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe an aftermarket crank is allowed, with restrictions.

One interesting item I noted was concerning valvetrain. The listing of a 7 liter engine option would lead one to assume that the LS7 is allowed. However, use of TITANIUM valves is specifically prohibited (caps from rules).
Old 10-07-2009, 12:02 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This will be an insane money class with a car that mirrors the Phoenix Rolex car that John Y just bought needed to even be competitive. It's gonna be awesome if it takes off but I won't be in it even if I can do the "things i want to". I have a hard time seeing it take off......

Joe
Old 10-07-2009, 03:01 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Mat,
You don't need a fuel cell for a C4 to race in STO.

David,
Just wondering..... why is it you guys aren't flocking to STO. All the whinning/lobbying that is done for mods to various cars can be done in STO. Chris says his springs are too soft, go to STO and put whatever you want on. Everyone is asking for more brakes, go to STO and put whatever 6 piston caliper/14" rotor you want on. Vipers could lose some weight (or restrictor, not sure). C5 can get rid of some weight, add a little power and race competitively. Many are giving Peter Keane and the comp board grief lately. I have to say, I see his point. T1 was supposed to be racing a stock car. The cars are getting farther and farther from that all the time and are getting closer to an STO car. If they allow suspension, brake, and engine mods, what is the differance between the classes? A wing and splitter.

The truth is there just aren't that many of these type of cars out there racing right now. There are too many sanctioning bodies making too many classes with fields that are too small.

Hope to see you at the ARRC!
Robert Finlayson
Old 10-07-2009, 07:17 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
Mat,
You don't need a fuel cell for a C4 to race in STO.

David,
Just wondering..... why is it you guys aren't flocking to STO. All the whinning/lobbying that is done for mods to various cars can be done in STO. Chris says his springs are too soft, go to STO and put whatever you want on. Everyone is asking for more brakes, go to STO and put whatever 6 piston caliper/14" rotor you want on. Vipers could lose some weight (or restrictor, not sure). C5 can get rid of some weight, add a little power and race competitively. Many are giving Peter Keane and the comp board grief lately. I have to say, I see his point. T1 was supposed to be racing a stock car. The cars are getting farther and farther from that all the time and are getting closer to an STO car. If they allow suspension, brake, and engine mods, what is the differance between the classes? A wing and splitter.

The truth is there just aren't that many of these type of cars out there racing right now. There are too many sanctioning bodies making too many classes with fields that are too small.

Hope to see you at the ARRC!
Robert Finlayson
Robert,

The biggest concern people have is the cost of building a car like this, then running it. To me, the ongoing expense may be higher than a T1 car, but not dramatically. Build expense? Absolutely!

But there are cars out there that could fit into this class, and people want a place to race them. NASA ST1 is a likely group, and maybe TCC's prepped class as well.

It's funny, but with all the Ferrari controversy in T1, I went and checked out the participation numbers for the 2009 Ferrari Challenge series. Most of the eight races had 20+ entrants. People do want to race, but not all want to race budget series.

Some people can't understand that you can't "improve" a car over stock, and that turns them away from a class.

Allowing aftermarket brakes eliminates the brakes issue that is currently present in T1. Hopefully that gets changed in T1 for 2010.

A car is shackled with what SCCA wants in certain areas of the car in T1, where the driver can change more things in STO. More expense? Maybe. But if your car isn't competitive in T1, then the "expense" on not being able to run upfront is infinite.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:19 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vette6aut0x
I believe an aftermarket crank is allowed, with restrictions.

One interesting item I noted was concerning valvetrain. The listing of a 7 liter engine option would lead one to assume that the LS7 is allowed. However, use of TITANIUM valves is specifically prohibited (caps from rules).
You are correct on the crankshaft; on the Z06 valves? Hmmmm, that could be an issue. Although if the engine was being built from scratch, then replacements could be installed.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:29 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

It is funny that when you go watch several NASA races, you see all kinds of cars in SU. ( Super Unlimited) and few if any cars in ST1.

ST2 has its own following.

ST1 prepared cars run in SU so they have some one to compete against. Mostly Stock cars.

Even some ST2 cars, this past weekend Ken Smith was kicked out of ST2 because he was too fast for the other ST2 competitors. He raced SU and won with is ST2 car IIRC.

It seems the KEY to winning SU is having a car that does not break down and survives the race. Stock cars tend to break down a lot.

Keeping the rules simple will have classes survive

F430 and the F360 are the the NASA SU class.

Porsche GT3s and fast BMWs race in their own class GTS# ( Germain Touring Sedans)

No offense but telling me I cant build an engine with cam lift higher than .600 is crazy. If someone files a protest, I would just laugh and say if you touch my car, your I brake your arm. Then go play elsewhere. ( Mechanically speaking No I would not use a lift that high)

( Just like an official asking to see my Nomex soxs? ( Go away little one )

For a plastic trophy, no one touches my car. Speed World Challenge that is different.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 10-07-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:37 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
No offense but telling me I cant build an engine with cam lift higher than .600 is crazy. If someone files a protest, I would just laugh and say if you touch my car, your I brake your arm. Then go play elsewhere.

( Just like an office asking to see my Nomex sox? ( Go away little one )

For a plastic trophy, no one touches my car. Speed World Challenge that is different.
Then why have any rules at all?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:41 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Then why have any rules at all?
Keep the rules simple. You have seen how NASA is growing? and how the SCCA race numbers, at least here in the SE are decreasing ?

No one want to put up with the BS. and ppl have a choice now

PPl have are also going to race Grand AM Koni. to get away from the SCCA. and for Longer / endurance races.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 10-07-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the response on the cage guys.

Golden Eagle,

Ken was entered to run a newer class called STR 2. It's a place for the tube framed cars w/ the same hp/wt as ST2.(Thunder Roadsters, Diasios....) The rules allow ST2 cars at the moment.

In the Great Lakes Region they race with the small bore group and that's where the Director decided to "ask" Ken if he minded running running in SU instead. The blue beast is a touch too much for all the Spec Miata's trying to finish up a Championship. It wasn't a perfect solution since tires were on the line but Ken was cool with it.

Next year that class will have some changes. Anyway, back to the STO class....sounds perfect for Danny's car!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I just watched Ken's Video from Putnam

and I agree no way Ken should have been in the Small Bore class
Old 10-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Racer-38
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

registration for the ARRC is open:
http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...029C024FC94AEF
great oppurtunity to see how your car runs in STO/TCC.
We have our own class without the GTA or SPO cars. This class is mostly made of corvettes....always a great show.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:14 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Racer-38
registration for the ARRC is open:
http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...029C024FC94AEF
great oppurtunity to see how your car runs in STO/TCC.
We have our own class without the GTA or SPO cars. This class is mostly made of corvettes....always a great show.
I'll be there!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:49 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

If anyone wants a nice STO car I have one I'll sell you for about what a Good T1 car cost, I'll even reinstall the WC Cam and Heads.

LPE 5.7 liter build to WC specs, I have the cam and heads in a box almost no time on them, it will make min weight also it's 2800# without a driver.

PM me for info

Get notified of new replies

To Overview of SCCA's STO Class

Old 10-07-2009, 01:04 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Tom,
I have to disaggree with you on that one. There has to be rules, and they have to be enforced or there are no rules.

NASA may be growing in the southeast, but not so much here in the midwest. At least not in the ST categories. Look at the results from NASA at Road America, Putnam, Grattan, Autobahn, Mid Ohio in August.

Danny's car is not legal for STO in SCCA. Stock bore (+.030), stock stroke, 12/1 max compression required.

Robert
Old 10-07-2009, 01:11 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have another car that I could use .....or another motor for mine........or maybe I could just play with one of those restrictors.....I have the correct bore size for the 7.0L..

Or I could just reinstall the ST2 motor.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:15 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

yes there have to be rules, but keep them simple. Simple rules allows for more ppl to build and come race.

Or slight leniency for Rookies to that class to get ppl started ? first 6 races or until they place in the top 4 ? Ok that gets too complicated.

I am just too independent to be told what to do. Just ask my wife or even the I... er wont get into that one

I noticed Midwest NASA numbers. Even the fall events here in the SE, ST numbers are down.

is it the economy ? Or ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overview of SCCA's STO Class