Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overview of SCCA's STO Class

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 01:19 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Numbers will be up when Nats comes back to Mid Ohio in 2011 & some of those ST2 cars were at the track just running TTS because of better car counts
Old 10-07-2009, 01:59 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
yes there have to be rules, but keep them simple. Simple rules allows for more ppl to build and come race.

Or slight leniency for Rookies to that class to get ppl started ? first 6 races or until they place in the top 4 ? Ok that gets too complicated.

I am just too independent to be told what to do. Just ask my wife or even the I... er wont get into that one

I noticed Midwest NASA numbers. Even the fall events here in the SE, ST numbers are down.

is it the economy ? Or ??
Now I didn't say this, but...

I doubt SCCA is going to be checking cams at every "regular" National event.

But I didn't say that...
Old 10-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
This will be an insane money class with a car that mirrors the Phoenix Rolex car that John Y just bought needed to even be competitive. It's gonna be awesome if it takes off but I won't be in it even if I can do the "things i want to". I have a hard time seeing it take off......

Joe
Joe...
Its not as expensive as you might think. To run at the pointy end of T1 takes alot of money because you have to be so creative with the tight rules package. There are lots of different paths you can use to go fast in STO. I know 3 people right now building STO cars. One from a burned C6Z06, one from a C6, and Jerry Onks is building one from a C6Z06. They have all shared numbers with me and all are very reasonable compared with T1. The Tracy's are selling their C6T1 vettes in the 90's. Lance is selling his Viper in the 80's and so is Johnny Miller selling his vette in the 80's.
You could buy Tom Oates C5WC corvette right now for $50k. I think Joey Scarralo is selling the GTO's and the vette they ran all for under $100K.
Take a look at the rules and you just might be suprised. Better yet, ask Jerry....I know he was suprised.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
I have another car that I could use .....or another motor for mine........or maybe I could just play with one of those restrictors.....I have the correct bore size for the 7.0L..

Or I could just reinstall the ST2 motor.
actually.......you could probably drop a 4 cylinder in a vette and be successful

Danny........bring something down here to the ARRC. I promise you won't be disappointed. This really is a great event. If you can't get a car for STO, I'm sure it would fit in one of the TCC classes.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:41 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Numbers are down everywhere. Various reasons have caused this. Tom's observations about ST1/STU are correct. I have been saying that the NASA ST1 hp/wt number is too large, causing very expensive motors if you want to run that class and making a true ST1 car not legal in STO. Too many classes, not enough cars. Everbody gets to win, nobody is racing.
Robert
Old 10-07-2009, 02:50 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

David,
I am not an expert on Vipers by any means. But I think you could add a wing/splitter, a set of headers, poly bushings, lose some weight and be in the ball park. That isn't really that much money.

Danny,
Would love to see you at the ARRC. If you have another bullet or if they would let you run a restrictor, I would welcome the competition. I just want to have more cars to race, regardless of where I finish.
Robert
Old 10-07-2009, 03:02 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Now I didn't say this, but...

I doubt SCCA is going to be checking cams at every "regular" National event.

But I didn't say that...

Old 10-07-2009, 03:09 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
David,
I am not an expert on Vipers by any means. But I think you could add a wing/splitter, a set of headers, poly bushings, lose some weight and be in the ball park. That isn't really that much money.

Danny,
Would love to see you at the ARRC. If you have another bullet or if they would let you run a restrictor, I would welcome the competition. I just want to have more cars to race, regardless of where I finish.
Robert
Thanks Robert....I maybe wrong, but I think tht I could run ITE irregardless, just to come down and play and have some fun.....Would my car be ITE legal ???? If not what about SPO ????
Old 10-07-2009, 03:35 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
David,
Robert
I agree, although am a bit leary about an aero package unless I rebodied a roadster into a coupe, and then I'd add the ACR splitter and rear wing.

I think headers, small cam, some mild porting of the heads (I have several cores than can be used) and poly bushings with the weight reduction and I am "off to the races" (figuratively & literally!).
Old 10-07-2009, 05:35 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Danny,
SPO is those stock cars, I am not sure of the rules for that class. They are not in our run group though. You may be able to run in ST, I will check to see what the rules are for that class and get back to you.

The ARRC is a really good time. Great track, 20 lap races, beautifull fall weather, lots of spectators. Hopefully, I will make it to the grid on time this year!

Robert
Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 PM
stairman
Racer

Thanks Robert....I maybe wrong, but I think tht I could run ITE irregardless, just to come down and play and have some fun.....Would my car be ITE legal ???? If not what about SPO ????
Danny or Robert
would my car fit into any of their classes. It is a 6.2 block and heads but stroked. I have my NASA License, do we need to get an SCCA license.
By the way Robert it is the green car, we met at Mid Ohio this July.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Originally Posted by stairman
Danny or Robert
would my car fit into any of their classes. It is a 6.2 block and heads but stroked. I have my NASA License, do we need to get an SCCA license.
By the way Robert it is the green car, we met at Mid Ohio this July.
Mike, I believe that you must run the stock crank.

James
Old 10-07-2009, 07:34 PM
stairman
Racer

Originally Posted by Jaymz

James

Thanks James
That is usually my luck, neither of my engines has a stock stroke. Guess I will have to build one of those some day.

Mike
Old 10-07-2009, 07:42 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jaymz

James
Crankshaft can be aftermarket but of same material as stock. Stroke must be stock.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:20 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Mike,
You do not need a SCCA license, you can run on a NASA competition license. You do need to be a member of SCCA though. That can be done easily as all they want is your $65 or whatever it is.

STO rules do require stock stroke. This is the dilema for you and Danny. I am not sure of ST rules and would have to check. As I said earlier, perhaps you could run in STO as an LS7 and use the same restrictor plate, I would have to check. You can enter as a TCC car, though your engine isn't legal for that either. I personally could care less, but others may. I would like to see everyone that has a Corvette, Viper, Porshe, BMW, even Ferrari (is that word banned on this forum yet) come down for one great last race of the year.
Robert

Last edited by Vector Vette; 10-07-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Danny..........
you can definitly run SPO. SPO is a no rules class.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:22 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Racer-38
Danny..........
you can definitly run SPO. SPO is a no rules class.
Yes, but SPO is not in our run group.

Get notified of new replies

To Overview of SCCA's STO Class

Old 10-08-2009, 07:14 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

STO rules do require stock stroke.
My engine has the stock 3.622 stroke......
Old 10-08-2009, 07:53 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

can some one point me to STO and or SPO rules ?
Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

The SE Div SCCA SPO rules can be found at www.sedivracing.org
click on SARRC, then SE Div regional class rules.

STO should be at www.scca.org in the 2009 GCR

I think some of these racer's could fit in at the ARRC under the SE Div
SCCA ITO rules.

The V8 STockCar series will have a points race within the race at the ARRC for our V8 GT2 class (SCCA STO, most ITO, TCC cars, etc are eligible.) Costs nothing. check out www.v8stockcar.com

V8 GT2 points leader at the moment is Doug Wilson in a BMW M3,
with Bob Mayer Second. Mayer could pull into a tie this weekend at
the SARRC at Roebling with two wins. (Our group will have two races)
Wilson will not be racing this weekend, but will be at Road Atlanta.
Should be a good shootout at the ARRC.

Quick Reply: Overview of SCCA's STO Class