C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

z51 or z06 sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:22 PM
NARIMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z51 or z06 sway bar

i autocross from time to time, and need sway bars on my c6
iam hoping to get wider wheel tire, but not sure when
would that be bad to get z06 sway bars? and why?
Thanks
Old 09-03-2009, 10:33 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

I am going out on a limb here and thinking you have a F55 car? If so, go with the Z51 bars. Z06 bars will be too much. Even the base suspension car, Z06 bars are too much.

I have a Z51 car and I am replacing the shocks with Z06 units along with Z06 rear sways (fronts are the same).
Old 09-03-2009, 11:02 PM
NARIMAN
Burning Brakes

what exact is to much?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:09 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The stiffer the bar is in the back, the sooner the back will break loose in a corner, so the bigger Z06 bar is designed to work right with the bigger rear tires of the Z06. With the rear tires of the regular C6, the bigger bar will make the car tailhappy; the rear will be wanting to break loose and come around first. The front bars are the same size, Z06 and Z51.

As is so often the case, more is not always better.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KBoltz
I am going out on a limb here and thinking you have a F55 car? If so, go with the Z51 bars. Z06 bars will be too much. Even the base suspension car, Z06 bars are too much.
I have a Z51 car and I am replacing the shocks with Z06 units along with Z06 rear sways (fronts are the same).

Before going to the LG coil-over suspension and T1 sway bars I used the Z06 sway bars on my F55 equipped C6 (initially with OEM C6 wheels and tires and then with Z06 size rubber). I used both configurations on the street and running road courses. FWIW I didn't experience any major problems and never considered the Z06 sway bars as being "too much." Granted, popular opinion is to go with the Z51 sway bars if you use OEM C6 wheels and tires, however, if you plan on going to larger wheels and tires I go right to the Z06 sway bars.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Wayne O

Before going to the LG coil-over suspension and T1 sway bars I used the Z06 sway bars on my F55 equipped C6 (initially with OEM C6 wheels and tires and then with Z06 size rubber). I used both configurations on the street and running road courses. FWIW I didn't experience any major problems and never considered the Z06 sway bars as being "too much." Granted, popular opinion is to go with the Z51 sway bars if you use OEM C6 wheels and tires, however, if you plan on going to larger wheels and tires I go right to the Z06 sway bars.

BTW: I vadered your little disagree emoticon Wayne.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:19 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O

I trust Wayne's opinion, and the difference in bars is not that much.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:57 AM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
I also agree with Wayne, however I disagree with you about there not being much difference between the bars. Look at the difference in your chart. In some areas it's huge (diameters and resulting spring rates - moreso in the rear than the front)!

My answer:

If you're going to go with larger rims/tires then go with the Z06 bars.
If you're going to stay with the stock rims/tires then go with the Z51 bars.

Last edited by inthehunt2; 09-04-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:09 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I changed out the rear Z51 bar with a Z06 bar and NEVER experienced any OVERSTEER even on a Road Course with cornering speeds around 70 MPH.

If any road course corner would cause an OVERSTEER condition Canada Corner at Road America would be it. You enter the braking zone at about 140 (for a base vette) and brake down to about 65 MPH as you enter the corner. The car was nice and stable and I never felt the ends wanting to swap.

Cheers

Tom
Old 09-04-2009, 10:11 AM
NARIMAN
Burning Brakes

thanks
Old 09-04-2009, 11:03 AM
99c54me
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not see how these sway bar diameter numbers can be compared simply by diameter.

The C6 base rear sway is a solid metal, the other C6 rear sways are hollow. Yes, a larger diameter, but the real question is what is the torsional spring rate of very different bars. Anyone know the metal thickness of the Z51 and Z06 bars? It may not be the same. Diameter means nothing, especially since the metals may be different alloys and thickness yielding none-linear results.

I cannot tell squat from diameter without factoring in additional information needed to determine true torsional spring rate.

Bottom line seems what works is what's best.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:56 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
In some areas it's huge (diameters and resulting spring rates - moreso in the rear than the front)!

What??? We are only comparing C6 Z51 to C6 Z06 and not the springs, so the fronts are the same and rears are close.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:58 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 99c54me
I do not see how these sway bar diameter numbers can be compared simply by diameter.

The C6 base rear sway is a solid metal, the other C6 rear sways are hollow. Yes, a larger diameter, but the real question is what is the torsional spring rate of very different bars. Anyone know the metal thickness of the Z51 and Z06 bars? It may not be the same. Diameter means nothing, especially since the metals may be different alloys and thickness yielding none-linear results.

I cannot tell squat from diameter without factoring in additional information needed to determine true torsional spring rate.

Bottom line seems what works is what's best.
Always someone like you. Any way it's safe to assume they are made from the same spring steel, and though we may not know all the specs it's a useful chart for comparison.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:03 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What??? We are only comparing C6 Z51 to C6 Z06 and not the springs, so the fronts are the same and rears are close.
The difference in the rear sway bars between Z51 to Z06 is a change in diameter of close to 9%. This is huge in my opinion. Normally when racing, you're tuning numbers within a percent or two to get "just the right" set up (which of course can vary from day to day). So, in my opinion, a 9% change is huge. JMHO.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:04 PM
UNKNOWN
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by tailshe
i autocross from time to time, and need sway bars on my c6
iam hoping to get wider wheel tire, but not sure when
would that be bad to get z06 sway bars? and why?
Thanks
25% increase front
and 50% increase rears

from stock to z51

= enuff IMO

Do it, I did and am happy.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:33 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

I am going to a rear Z06 sway (along with Z06 shocks all the way around) because I plan on running Z06 width tires and wheels, along with the widebody at a later date (much later if my wife has anything to say!!). And I plan on using R compound tires for autocross and HPDE on stock width wheels, for now.

If you are planning to use R compound tires at an autocross, it shouldn't be much of an issue. The grip of an R compound is so much greater than the Supercar tires. You have never mentioned if you plan on using R compound tires. If using the stock EMT runflats, then the possibility exists for a snap oversteer condition at or near the limits. You will be well past the adhesion limits of the stock tires.

I used to run Mustang GT's in autocross, and they were extremely prone to snap oversteer due to the design of the four link setup that Ford built. 60's technology in a 90's era car. When I went to a Torque arm and panhard bar setup, it drastically decreased the tendecy of the car to swap ends. Consequently, I ran faster and the car was much more stable and predictable. I eventually went to a tubular k member and a arms with coil overs in the front to try and get the car as stable as possible, so I could be smooth at the limits.

When you autocross the car, how close to the limits are you getting? Is the tail sliding out on you, is it trying to snap (assuming of course you are racing in Competition Mode) around on you? Is it plowing into the corner upon braking, or is it washing out on you as you apply power exiting the corner? How bad is the body roll? Does it feel like a dinghy in rough seas, swaying back and forth?
Old 09-04-2009, 12:51 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by KBoltz
I am going to a rear Z06 sway (along with Z06 shocks all the way around) because I plan on running Z06 width tires and wheels, along with the widebody at a later date (much later if my wife has anything to say!!). And I plan on using R compound tires for autocross and HPDE on stock width wheels, for now.

If you are planning to use R compound tires at an autocross, it shouldn't be much of an issue. The grip of an R compound is so much greater than the Supercar tires. You have never mentioned if you plan on using R compound tires. If using the stock EMT runflats, then the possibility exists for a snap oversteer condition at or near the limits. You will be well past the adhesion limits of the stock tires.

I used to run Mustang GT's in autocross, and they were extremely prone to snap oversteer due to the design of the four link setup that Ford built. 60's technology in a 90's era car. When I went to a Torque arm and panhard bar setup, it drastically decreased the tendecy of the car to swap ends. Consequently, I ran faster and the car was much more stable and predictable. I eventually went to a tubular k member and a arms with coil overs in the front to try and get the car as stable as possible, so I could be smooth at the limits.

When you autocross the car, how close to the limits are you getting? Is the tail sliding out on you, is it trying to snap (assuming of course you are racing in Competition Mode) around on you? Is it plowing into the corner upon braking, or is it washing out on you as you apply power exiting the corner? How bad is the body roll? Does it feel like a dinghy in rough seas, swaying back and forth?
If you are going to spend actual money on different shocks, spend it on anything but the Z06 shocks. If they are just free take-offs, then OK...but you can do so much better for the same money...

Get notified of new replies

To z51 or z06 sway bar

Old 09-04-2009, 02:04 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Dirt cheap and the guy is coming down to my house to help me install them (the shocks), the Z06 rear bar, a Hardbar (and pre cut panels), four point harnesses, and new calipers I got from Mike the powdercoater.

He is also going to help lower the car, and give it an alignment as well.

All told, I say I came out pretty good on this deal!!
Old 09-04-2009, 02:07 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
I also agree with Wayne, however I disagree with you about there not being much difference between the bars. Look at the difference in your chart. In some areas it's huge (diameters and resulting spring rates - moreso in the rear than the front)!

My answer:

If you're going to go with larger rims/tires then go with the Z06 bars.
If you're going to stay with the stock rims/tires then go with the Z51 bars.
The Z51 bars are perfect for the base car.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:24 PM
LIVetteFan
Racer

Originally Posted by cclive
The stiffer the bar is in the back, the sooner the back will break loose in a corner, so the bigger Z06 bar is designed to work right with the bigger rear tires of the Z06. With the rear tires of the regular C6, the bigger bar will make the car tailhappy; the rear will be wanting to break loose and come around first. The front bars are the same size, Z06 and Z51.

As is so often the case, more is not always better.
Added Z51 swaybars on mine base coupe and the handling is markedly improved and no hint of bad behaviour even with the base tires.

Quick Reply: z51 or z06 sway bar