C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove a Callaway last week. . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:52 AM
scottycards
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I got to drive one last winter. The Callaway seats..........oh, the seats.

If I had the means, and I unfortunately don't have the means.........but I had both of these guys workin' me. It was tough to say no.

The Callaways are very well done, indeed.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:26 PM
mcv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While Callaway prefers to have trained Authorized Dealers perform warranty repairs, the fact is you can bring a Callaway Corvette to any Chevrolet dealership for service. We only ask that if you have to bring the car to a dealer that is not an Authorized Callaway Dealer, and you suspect that there is a problem with a Callaway component, please request that the Service Manager contact Callaway immediately, before he starts the job. This way, our engineers can work with the dealership's technicians to get diagnostics completed quickly and with minimum operations performed on the car.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:46 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Corvettes of Dallas - Parts
Great write up!

We are Callaway dealers guys, let us know if you need any help.

Corvettes of Dallas
The list of dealers is here. http://www.callawaycars.com/callaway...zedDealers.htm

Are you talking Callaway parts or actual finished product Callaway Corvettes?
Old 08-04-2009, 03:36 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mcv
While Callaway prefers to have trained Authorized Dealers perform warranty repairs, the fact is you can bring a Callaway Corvette to any Chevrolet dealership for service. We only ask that if you have to bring the car to a dealer that is not an Authorized Callaway Dealer, and you suspect that there is a problem with a Callaway component, please request that the Service Manager contact Callaway immediately, before he starts the job. This way, our engineers can work with the dealership's technicians to get diagnostics completed quickly and with minimum operations performed on the car.
Thanks for the info... Can you elaborate on the process of ordering a Callaway Corvette and your options? Specifically, can you buy a car from any dealer and coordinate directly with Callaway to have the Callaway package installed?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:41 PM
PAVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I test drove a new Callaway vette last week. I'm impressed with the Callaway product. Excellent finish and fitment. I drove the 580 hp version which has the "standard" Callaway hood bulge rather than the slightly larger carbon fiber hood on the 606 hp version. I like the hood. Very good fit. Excellent paint And frankly the standard bulge fits the vette's overall lines very well. It works very well on the vette and looks fantastic.....

Overall the car was very docile, and comfortable. Driveability is no different than stock - just more power, and faster. I was curious about supercharger whine. You don't hear it at all in the lower range. Above 3k, the whine comes on and grows at the tach needle swings up. It wasn't bothersome. I know some folks like the sound, others hate it. I thought it was fine.....

All-in-all a nice product. Callaway has done a good job with these packages. And that tough hood will look quite nice over the top of GS bodywork.
Nice write up!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:02 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,441 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboLuigi
OnPoint,

Excellent write up! They make one heck of a product, but I am biased

I am a repeat customer owning a 2008 C16, and also still owning a 1991 Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette.

My C16 started out as a 2008 LS3 Z51 A6 Coupe, dropped shipped to Callaway for the full C16 treatment. At the time they were looking at TVS2300 and my car became their TVS development car. Its 650HP+

Like the SC580, shifting through the gears is smooth yet it pulls like a rocket on steroids. It has been very reliable and I drive it as often as I can as it is one heck of a fun ride.

They build a solid product and they stand behind it. I would love to see a Callaway GS, though they recently built a 685HP SC-Z06 painted to the blue GS theme with white hash marks which was shown at Vettes of the Rockies.

Good Luck and please keep us posted on your build.

Best Regards,

-Luigi

Thanks Luigi. And sorry guys for the delay in touching back in. Work got a bit crazy. Luigi, with your 650 hp car, did you upgrade axles or do any trans mods, or are you running stock components?

I'm thinking I'd probably be fine with stock A6 and axles with the 580 hp package, particularly since unlike my Katech Z which sees the track and strip and standing mile on a semi-regular basis, the Callaway GS wouldn't get flogged much. It'll be the cruiser of the family (and a vette the Misses can drive; she's too scared to even drive the Katech Z).
Old 08-05-2009, 12:53 AM
my_blue_c5
Pro

Thanks Luigi. And sorry guys for the delay in touching back in. Work got a bit crazy. Luigi, with your 650 hp car, did you upgrade axles or do any trans mods, or are you running stock components?

I'm thinking I'd probably be fine with stock A6 and axles with the 580 hp package, particularly since unlike my Katech Z which sees the track and strip and standing mile on a semi-regular basis, the Callaway GS wouldn't get flogged much. It'll be the cruiser of the family (and a vette the Misses can drive; she's too scared to even drive the Katech Z).
I wouldn't ever let the woman drive my 580hp Callaway, more power to you.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:29 PM
TurboLuigi
Racer

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I wouldn't count on them being great with service since their sales seem very questionable, especially if you don't buy the car from them. Callaway will be my next Corvette if I go new. I may decide to get mine upgraded with the Callaway package also.

I'm curious about the price myself and how to order one. I'm definitely not buying one if they want to charge thousands more for the "base" Vette then the price for the Callaway package.
phileaglesfan,

I just heard from the Callaway Program Manager that he will be driving back to the East Coast from California and passing through Utah over the weekend. If you are interested in meeting up with him for a test drive, just PM me and I will put you in contact with him.

-Luigi
Old 08-05-2009, 09:43 PM
TurboLuigi
Racer

OnPoint,

Callaway feels that the tranny and rear end are good to about 750HP. My car has stock components though the engine has internals and cam in addition to the TVS2300.

It is easy to drive, shifts smoothly yet moves like a rocket when I floor it. I tend to drive it in Sport mode Auto most of the time and seldom use the paddles.

My car is also Z51 based and because of the heat in South Florida, I had Callaway put the oil cooler in since GM deleted it from the 2008 Z51 A6. I had asked them about their thoughts for the need for an oil sump similar to the Z06 at the time when I ordered it (summer '07) and they did not think it was a necessity, but that is now part of the GS and it would be a great base car for a C16 since the C16 body is designed to fit either the Z06 or base Corvette.

-Luigi
Old 08-06-2009, 10:04 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,441 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Thanks Luigi,

Old 08-06-2009, 09:56 PM
mcv
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6Tim
Thanks for the info... Can you elaborate on the process of ordering a Callaway Corvette and your options? Specifically, can you buy a car from any dealer and coordinate directly with Callaway to have the Callaway package installed?
While you may have your Callaway Corvette serviced at any Chevrolet dealer as described earlier in this thread, you can only purchase a Callaway Corvette from Chevrolet dealers that are also Authorized Callaway Dealers.

Here's a link to the Authorized Callaway Dealer page on Callaway's website: http://www.callawaycars.com/callaway...zedDealers.htm
Old 08-07-2009, 05:30 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mcv
While you may have your Callaway Corvette serviced at any Chevrolet dealer as described earlier in this thread, you can only purchase a Callaway Corvette from Chevrolet dealers that are also Authorized Callaway Dealers.

Here's a link to the Authorized Callaway Dealer page on Callaway's website: http://www.callawaycars.com/callaway...zedDealers.htm
I think there may be some confusion... I understand that if I want to buy a Callaway Corvette I can't buy it directly from Callaway, I have to buy it from a Callaway Corvette dealer. What I was wanting to confirm is that I can buy a new non-Callaway Corvette and coordinate directly with Callaway to have the Callaway package installed. Correct?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:53 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I found the answer to my question after doing some digging on the Callaway website. Here's what it says:

"If you already have a new, or almost new Corvette, you are welcome to submit the car for conversion. Call us at 860 434 9002 for scheduling and details. If you are within range of a Callaway Dealer, we will arrange for your car to become a Callaway Corvette by working with our dealer".

So, yes you can buy a Corvette from a non-Callaway dealer and send your car to Callaway for conversion.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 AM
SubSolar
Racer

Originally Posted by TurboLuigi
Callaway feels that the tranny and rear end are good to about 750HP.
Interesting, I thought the consensus was the stock A6 was only good for 600 rwhp max.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:41 AM
mcv
Burning Brakes

I found the answer to my question after doing some digging on the Callaway website. Here's what it says:

"If you already have a new, or almost new Corvette, you are welcome to submit the car for conversion. Call us at 860 434 9002 for scheduling and details. If you are within range of a Callaway Dealer, we will arrange for your car to become a Callaway Corvette by working with our dealer".

So, yes you can buy a Corvette from a non-Callaway dealer and send your car to Callaway for conversion.
Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions here. I haven't been able to follow up as quickly as I'd like. We're busy getting ready for the 2010 models.

I just wanted to clarify that the website paragraph you mention states that if you already own a Corvette that you bought from a "non-authorized" Callaway dealer, you can still have your car converted to a Callaway Corvette, with the key words: "working with our dealer".

In this case, you would still purchase the Callaway Corvette package from the local Authorized Dealer, not directly from Callaway. You would work with that dealer to arrange shipping the car to the Connecticut or California Callaway facility and back to you. You wouldn't coordinate directly with Callaway as you might be thinking now. Package and option pricing would be the same as if you bought the car from an Authorized Dealer.

We don't mean to make the purchasing process difficult for prospective owners. However, Callaway has a responsibility to support the Chevrolet dealers who have invested in the Callaway program and whose sales and service staff have been trained in all things Callaway. We want to make sure that buyers have the best purchasing and ownership experience they could have.

Hope this helps, Tim.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 AM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mcv
Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions here. I haven't been able to follow up as quickly as I'd like. We're busy getting ready for the 2010 models.

I just wanted to clarify that the website paragraph you mention states that if you already own a Corvette that you bought from a "non-authorized" Callaway dealer, you can still have your car converted to a Callaway Corvette, with the key words: "working with our dealer".

In this case, you would still purchase the Callaway Corvette package from the local Authorized Dealer, not directly from Callaway. You would work with that dealer to arrange shipping the car to the Connecticut or California Callaway facility and back to you. You wouldn't coordinate directly with Callaway as you might be thinking now. Package and option pricing would be the same as if you bought the car from an Authorized Dealer.

We don't mean to make the purchasing process difficult for prospective owners. However, Callaway has a responsibility to support the Chevrolet dealers who have invested in the Callaway program and whose sales and service staff have been trained in all things Callaway. We want to make sure that buyers have the best purchasing and ownership experience they could have.

Hope this helps, Tim.
Thanks, it's Crystal clear now. Is there a fee charged to the customer by the dealer for acting as the middle man?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:41 AM
mcv
Burning Brakes

Thanks, it's Crystal clear now. Is there a fee charged to the customer by the dealer for acting as the middle man?
"Package and option pricing would be the same as if you bought the car (a turnkey Callaway Corvette) from an Authorized Dealer."

The Authorized Dealer would not charge you any additional service fees.

Get notified of new replies

To Test Drove a Callaway last week. . .

Old 08-10-2009, 12:32 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mcv
"Package and option pricing would be the same as if you bought the car (a turnkey Callaway Corvette) from an Authorized Dealer."

The Authorized Dealer would not charge you any additional service fees.
Cool, thanks again for the info!
Old 11-27-2009, 03:01 PM
ZR1FLGMA
Navigator

Default Opinions about Callaway SC606 package on a 2010 GS with 6 speed auto.

I have a 2010 ZR1 with 569 miles on it. I am considering turning it in and buying a 2010GS with the Callaway SC 606 package from Dimmitt Chev. in Clearwater, FL. They are one of two authorized Callaway dealers in FL. They currently have a 2009 Vette with the SC606 Signature package. I plan to test drive that car before I buy. I have spoken with Callaway and have asked them if they are going to offer an extened 2 year warranty to the current 3/36000. I was told that they are seriously considering it and are tring to come up with a price. I will seriously consider turning in my ZR1 if they offer the extened warranty before the 60 day program expires. I love my ZR1, but trying to hook up the p[ower to our Florida roads is almost impossible. Experimenting with the 5 new traction control features on the 2010 is interesting. I had the same traction problem with my Z06. There isn't any need to manually shift a car with 550 rear wheel HP. I don't mind shifting, even at the age of 64, I am just tired of rowing a 6 speed around town and burning up expensive rear tires and going nowhere. I'd like to hear from someone who owns a Callaway SC606 or SC580 package.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:34 PM
TurboLuigi
Racer

ZR1FLGMA,

They are a real blast. I own 2008 C16 #008, the first TVS based C16. Callaway developed their TVS packages on my engine. It producing in excess of 650HP and it is based on a 2008 Z51 A6.

I too am tired of rowing gears over the years. There are 3 other manual cars in the household including my 1991 Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette so when I commissioned the C16 I when with the A6. Gear shifts are smooth. I have the best of both worlds with it. It is tame when I want it to be and I it will respond with massive power at my will.

You will not be disappointed.

Best Regards,

-Luigi

Quick Reply: Test Drove a Callaway last week. . .