C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove a Callaway last week. . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:05 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Default Test Drove a Callaway last week. . .

I test drove a new Callaway vette last week. Special thanks to Steve Lindsey and Jon Pestinger at Superior Chevrolet. They were both very gracious and patiently answered a bunch of questions I had. They also knew I wasn't there to buy a Callaway out of their stock, but rather am considering doing a Grand Sport Callaway, and I wanted to see, drive and evaluate the product (obviously one that wasn't a GS as they don't have one yet).

The weather was good, so I drove my Z up there. Figured it would be a fun road trip, and give me the opportunity to compare the two back-to-back.

I specifically requested an A6, and Jon, bless his heart, after realizing all the Callaways they had outside were sticks, patiently opened the showroom doors to drive off the showroom their only A6. He and I spent some good time driving that, and then got right out of that car and into my Z and drove it.

I'm impressed with the Callaway product. Excellent finish and fitment. I drove the 580 hp version which has the "standard" Callaway hood bulge rather than the slightly larger carbon fiber hood on the 606 hp version. I like the hood. Very good fit. Excellent paint And frankly the standard bulge fits the vette's overall lines very well. It works very well on the vette and looks fantastic.

I frankly was surprised at the Callaway exhaust. I expected with an A6 to experience drone. There was no drone whatsoever. And it's got a nice rich, deep tone and a sound volume that while not loud, is significantly louder than stock. That was a nice surprise I wasn't expecting.

The car drove out very nice. Doesn't have the low end grunt and pull below 3000 rpm that my Katech Z has, but in all fairness I didn't expect it match the Katech-powered cubic inch advantage of the Z down low in the range. Once above 3000 rpm, however, the Callaway pulls hard, smooth and fat.

Overall the car was very docile, and comfortable. Driveability is no different than stock - just more power, and faster. I was curious about supercharger whine. You don't hear it at all in the lower range. Above 3k, the whine comes on and grows at the tach needle swings up. It wasn't bothersome. I know some folks like the sound, others hate it. I thought it was fine. I even had Jon at the end of our drive, jump behind the wheel and take it out on the street with me standing outside to listen as he got on it to see how it sounded outside the car. Sounds fine to me.

All-in-all a nice product. Callaway has done a good job with these packages. And that tough hood will look quite nice over the top of GS bodywork.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:31 PM
jeffjob
POSSE Senior Hombre
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 211 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '17-'18

I am wondering how it would compare to a stock Z51 coupe?

I have been eying Callaway for a while. Am I correct it would add about 150+ hp to my LS3?

I think I need to set up a test drive.

Thanks...
Old 08-03-2009, 02:39 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Very nice review
Old 08-03-2009, 02:56 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Great write-up... Have you made your decision yet? I'm leaning toward a 2011 Callaway GS and can't wait to see and hear about the 2010's. Are you considering a coupe or vert? I love verts, but I have to say I'm not a fan of fabric tops so I'm on the fence. Thanks again for the info.

Note to mods: I think it's time for the forum create a separate section for the new GS model. Are they any plans to do so?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:06 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jeffjob

I have been eying Callaway for a while. Am I correct it would add about 150+ hp to my LS3?

Thanks...

Hi Jeff,

The Callaway is significantly/noticeably stronger than a stock LS3. Yes, it would be adding about 150 hp with the 580 hp Callaway package. Roughly 176 hp with the 606 hp package.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:09 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C6Tim
Great write-up... Have you made your decision yet? I'm leaning toward a 2011 Callaway GS and can't wait to see and hear about the 2010's. Are you considering a coupe or vert? I love verts, but I have to say I'm not a fan of fabric tops so I'm on the fence. Thanks again for the info.

Note to mods: I think it's time for the forum create a separate section for the new GS model. Are they any plans to do so?

C6 Tim,

I've pretty much decided on getting a GS coupe. I'm just not a ragtop guy. I need to get two things done first. I need to get the double lift installed in my garage. And I need to decide on colors for the Callaway GS. I'm thinking red with the center hood bulge the same silver as the silver fender hashes. Or silver for the car, and dark gray for hood center and the hashes.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:10 PM
jmac2009
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffjob

Thanks...
IMO after testing driving several C6 Z51's every 150 + showed. The Z51 passing gear was awesome but the Callaway kick is like have a 2nd or 3rd extra with no stopping it.

Therefore, I selected

Old 08-03-2009, 04:50 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jmac2009
IMO after testing driving several C6 Z51's every 150 + showed. The Z51 passing gear was awesome but the Callaway kick is like have a 2nd or 3rd extra with no stopping it.

I was under the impression the A6 had the same tranny ratios with either iteration.....Z51 or not.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:04 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OnPoint
C6 Tim,

I've pretty much decided on getting a GS coupe. I'm just not a ragtop guy. I need to get two things done first. I need to get the double lift installed in my garage. And I need to decide on colors for the Callaway GS. I'm thinking red with the center hood bulge the same silver as the silver fender hashes. Or silver for the car, and dark gray for hood center and the hashes.
Either sounds like a great color combo. My XLR-V is CRM and I love the color. I have a 4-post lift in my garage that I use for my C6 and XLR-V and it works great. Can't wait to see some pics when you get the car.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 PM
TurboLuigi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OnPoint,

Excellent write up! They make one heck of a product, but I am biased

I am a repeat customer owning a 2008 C16, and also still owning a 1991 Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette.

My C16 started out as a 2008 LS3 Z51 A6 Coupe, dropped shipped to Callaway for the full C16 treatment. At the time they were looking at TVS2300 and my car became their TVS development car. Its 650HP+

Like the SC580, shifting through the gears is smooth yet it pulls like a rocket on steroids. It has been very reliable and I drive it as often as I can as it is one heck of a fun ride.

They build a solid product and they stand behind it. I would love to see a Callaway GS, though they recently built a 685HP SC-Z06 painted to the blue GS theme with white hash marks which was shown at Vettes of the Rockies.

Good Luck and please keep us posted on your build.

Best Regards,

-Luigi
Old 08-03-2009, 08:35 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

A couple questions... Can you buy a car and then deal directly with Callaway or do you have to buy the car from a Callaway dealer? If I don't buy a car through my local Callaway dealer can they refuse to service my Callaway?

The closest Callaway dealer to me has a 1LZ Z06 listed on their website and they have it marked up 10K over MSRP!! Back last year when GM dictated a discount on Z06's I was told they hid their stock until the sale was over. Not the kind of dealer I really like doing business with if you know what I mean. Unfortunately, I probably will not have much choice, but to deal with them for service. Hopefully they are better in the service department than they are in sales.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:44 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I wouldn't count on them being great with service since their sales seem very questionable, especially if you don't buy the car from them. Callaway will be my next Corvette if I go new. I may decide to get mine upgraded with the Callaway package also.

I'm curious about the price myself and how to order one. I'm definitely not buying one if they want to charge thousands more for the "base" Vette then the price for the Callaway package.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I wouldn't count on them being great with service since their sales seem very questionable, especially if you don't buy the car from them. Callaway will be my next Corvette if I go new. I may decide to get mine upgraded with the Callaway package also.

I'm curious about the price myself and how to order one. I'm definitely not buying one if they want to charge thousands more for the "base" Vette then the price for the Callaway package.
From what I understand they are not allowed (by Callaway) to mark-up or down the price of the Callaway package itself, but I suppose that does not mean they can't ask a premium for the car. The problem is you have to get your car worked on by a Callaway certified dealer/mechanic in order to keep the warranty. Consequently, you are stuck if your local Callaway dealer sucks. Like I said, I don't how they are about the Callaway's they sell, but based on them marking up Z06's 10K it is probably a strong indicator of what kind of dealer they are.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:37 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

From what I understand they are not allowed (by Callaway) to mark-up or down the price of the Callaway package itself, but I suppose that does not mean they can't ask a premium for the car. The problem is you have to get your car worked on by a Callaway certified dealer/mechanic in order to keep the warranty. Consequently, you are stuck if your local Callaway dealer sucks. Like I said, I don't how they are about the Callaway's they sell, but based on them marking up Z06's 10K it is probably a strong indicator of what kind of dealer they are.
If that is the case then I'm screwed since the closest dealer is in Las Vegas which is about 500 miles away. I remember I talked to the Callaway dealer here before and they said it can be maintained at the local dealer and Callaway will send someone out if they can't fix a problem. A dealer that charges $10k markup for a ZR1 would probably charge that much for a Callaway and probably $40-50k for a ZR1.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:02 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,884 Likes on 792 Posts

Thanks for the write up.....I was interested in your comments on their exhaust....I have pondered on whether it would be worth the investment to go with it.....but worried about the drone. Last thing I would want for my 2008.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:22 PM
TurboLuigi
Racer

A couple questions... Can you buy a car and then deal directly with Callaway or do you have to buy the car from a Callaway dealer? If I don't buy a car through my local Callaway dealer can they refuse to service my Callaway?

The closest Callaway dealer to me has a 1LZ Z06 listed on their website and they have it marked up 10K over MSRP!! Back last year when GM dictated a discount on Z06's I was told they hid their stock until the sale was over. Not the kind of dealer I really like doing business with if you know what I mean. Unfortunately, I probably will not have much choice, but to deal with them for service. Hopefully they are better in the service department than they are in sales.
Callaway supports its dealer Network which is ~ 30 dealers nationwide. If you feel your local dealer is not being reasonable with the base price of the car, let Callaway know and ask what options you may have to source your car.

Callaway Corvettes are built either in CT or CA, depending on which facility may be closer for the dealer you are working with. It is my understanding that they now also have NCM delivery as an option as well.

Regardless, call Callaway and let them know of your plans. They have been supportive to me and others that have engaged them. Feel free to let them know that Luigi referred you.

Best Regards,

-Luigi
Old 08-03-2009, 11:50 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OP - thanks for the review - Callaway knows his stuff, they have been at it quite a while.
I'm glad at least some dealers let potential customers test drive a Corvette (and you got to drive a Callaway!) without too much fuss. I drove about 2 hours to a dealer in upstate NY and getting them to let me test drive a 3LT one was like pulling teeth. Shyster.

Get notified of new replies

To Test Drove a Callaway last week. . .

Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 AM
TurboLuigi
Racer

LMB,

FYI, It is my understanding that part of the dealership agreement is that dealers are supposed to have a demo unit in stock for test drives. While I may be wrong as I am no Callaway employee (just a member of the Callaway Owners Group), on the Callaway website is a sign up page for a test drive form that they will coordinate with any of their dealers. I am not sure how they qualify the leads but try it and please report back on your experience.

Here is the link: http://www.callawaycars.com

They will help facilitate and track it to ensure that the dealers are keeping their end of the bargain. You should not have to pull teeth. That said, the demo car may not have the options you want (stick vs auto), etc, but a test drive you should be able to obtain.

Warning, driving a Supercharged Corvette is addictive and may lead to buying it.

-Luigi
Old 08-04-2009, 12:45 AM
0Corvettes of Dallas - Parts
Former Vendor

Great write up!

We install and carry Callaway parts: superchargers, honkers, shifters etc.

Let us know if you need any help.

Corvettes of Dallas

Last edited by Corvettes of Dallas - Parts; 08-05-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:47 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

With regard to the warranty work....Im pretty sure any GM dealer can work on the car as long as they aren't messing with the supercharger system. If your AC controller is on the blink you can go to any dealer and get it worked on with our harming your Callaway warranty. I know of a 2008 SC580 with 80k miles on it, and the only issue it's had has been GM related.

Perhaps MCV will step in and verify that or clear it up.

Quick Reply: Test Drove a Callaway last week. . .