C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

sunvisor repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Allieboy
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Default sunvisor repair

i did a search for sunvisor repair. the company looks to be out of business? has anyone used them or anyone else recently
thx
Old 03-14-2009, 06:20 AM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allieboy
i did a search for sunvisor repair. the company looks to be out of business? has anyone used them or anyone else recently thx
If you are trying to repair the floppy end part here's a "how to" from
From Jerry Watts, Retired Corvette Action Center engineer:

The windshield sun visor on a C4 has a fold about four inches from the windshield post where the visor rests when not in use. After some time, this fold may get weak, allowing the end of the visor to droop. However, this can be fixed without much effort and with a screw driver or flat object as yoru only tools.

As far as materials go, all you need are two three-inch squares of quarter-inch width flat plastic.

To get started, lower the convertibletop or remove thecoupe top. On the back of the visor you will note that the mirror is held on by two rubber push pins. Slide the tool under the mirror about one inch from the end and gently pry up until the mirror comes loose. Slide one piece of plastic underneath the cloth. Gently ease the pins back into the mirror, being careful not to break the mirror. Repeat the same procedure for the other visor.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Joevette86
Advanced

I looked into that also but decided to just replace both of them. easy job and inexpensive. I ended up getting new ones on Ebay. I forget what I paid ,about $11.00 I believe. For some reason I didn't save that receipt
Old 03-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Joevette86
Advanced

TRy that again. 11.00 I wish. $110.00
Old 03-14-2009, 11:06 AM
terrycoxusa
Heel & Toe

Default Yup 110

I looked all over and the best price for new aftermarket lighted ones was $110. Expensive, but what are you going to do? I just sold my Datsun 260z and bought a 96 C4, thinking that since it's a Chevy the parts would be eazy to get and cheap. I found out that they are hard to get and expensive. I'm still looking for a driver side armrest.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:53 PM
ynk1121
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZRWON
If you are trying to repair the floppy end part here's a "how to" from
From Jerry Watts, Retired Corvette Action Center engineer:

The windshield sun visor on a C4 has a fold about four inches from the windshield post where the visor rests when not in use. After some time, this fold may get weak, allowing the end of the visor to droop. However, this can be fixed without much effort and with a screw driver or flat object as yoru only tools.

As far as materials go, all you need are two three-inch squares of quarter-inch width flat plastic.

To get started, lower the convertibletop or remove thecoupe top. On the back of the visor you will note that the mirror is held on by two rubber push pins. Slide the tool under the mirror about one inch from the end and gently pry up until the mirror comes loose. Slide one piece of plastic underneath the cloth. Gently ease the pins back into the mirror, being careful not to break the mirror. Repeat the same procedure for the other visor.
http://mysite.verizon.net/brianjbalo...unvisorfix.pdf
Old 03-14-2009, 04:05 PM
BigDR
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Easy Fix

I used the above method of sliding behind the mirror an 11 and 1/2 inch by 2 inch piece of plastic cut from an old Tupperware lid. Mine has held up just fine for more than 2 years. I tried a piece of plastic mini blind first, but that did not hold up well. I tried gluing three pieces of vinyl mini blind together, but that failed also. I tried a piece of aluminum blind - no good. I read that someone used a plastic ruler, but that isn't very flexible. Round the edges so it doesn't poke through or tear the visor material. You could also do like some others and take the ear off and have the visor recovered at an upholstery shop.

Last edited by BigDR; 03-14-2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 03-14-2009, 04:49 PM
ThomasRetUSN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my sun visors restored on my 86 by a company out of NY. Total cost $79. They look great and they were restored back to OEM.
www.autosunvisors.com
Old 03-14-2009, 05:02 PM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThomasRetUSN
I had my sun visors restored on my 86 by a company out of NY. Total cost $79. They look great and they were restored back to OEM.
www.autosunvisors.com

Great to do business with.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Allieboy
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

thats the co i couldnt find thx
Old 08-08-2013, 03:37 PM
myred89vette
8th Gear

I got tired of mine flopping, so I made my own and a friend of mine upholstered them. They are great. I shortened the passenger side visor just enough to clear the A-post and they work great and look better than original. I stripped them down completely and used some quarter-inch plywood the make the interior for smooth and strong visor. They are covered with a vented vinyl (leather look). I had the plywood laying around in my shop and my friend upholstered and padded them. Total cost from that perspective....... couple hours work.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:37 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Check out VetteNuts link in this forum, good price on lighted mirror visors.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by The Green Hornet
Check out VetteNuts link in this forum, good price on lighted mirror visors.

Thanks here is the link, made by the original manufacturer.

C4 Visors NEW

Get notified of new replies

To sunvisor repair

Quick Reply: sunvisor repair