Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Anyone drive to the top of Pike's Peak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:18 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Anyone drive to the top of Pike's Peak?

Thinking about road trips come warm weather next year. I've always wanted to go to Pike's Peak. Can you do it in the vette, or is the road too rough? My understanding is it's partially paved...? Any info or experience is appreciated.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:44 AM
jrp
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wamara
Thinking about road trips come warm weather next year. I've always wanted to go to Pike's Peak. Can you do it in the vette, or is the road too rough? My understanding is it's partially paved...? Any info or experience is appreciated.
Most of it is unpaved road; 12.42 miles according to http://www.pikespeakcolorado.com/GeneralInformation.htm. I don't remember it being terribly rough, but there are parts that develop the washboard syndrome. It is decently maintained overall, but I would still find a way to leave the Vette in the foothills rather than go 25 miles on gravel.

There is a cog railway that goes to the top. It's a nice ride, but will take longer and the schedule dictates your stay at the summit.

Last edited by jrp; 12-15-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:09 PM
34RedRage
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wamara
i cannot speak for all the other corvette owners on here but i would never drive my c5 because of the dirt and graval road to the top....may want to rethink that trip!!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Location: Why are there squished peanut butter cups in my underware?
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Come on! Let's take our Vettes up this Saturday! There should be enough snow on the road that we won't have to worry about driving on a "dirt road"!

Lets go!
Old 12-15-2008, 12:57 PM
AintQik
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The road is half dirt, but very well maintained. The only thing you would need to worry about is dirt/dust on your car. There are some tight steep sections, but I think you could make it just fine. For the record, I have never driven the vette up there because I have 2 4x4s and that is what they are for. I have seen many Corvettes up there as well as Harleys and other bikes.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:01 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Hi jrp, thanks for the link and feedback

vettesplus, I'll just need to figure out another mode of transportation once I get there
Old 12-15-2008, 01:35 PM
jrp
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z-07 freak
Come on! Let's take our Vettes up this Saturday! There should be enough snow on the road that we won't have to worry about driving on a "dirt road"!

Lets go!
You ought to be able to beat that 10 minute record if the C5's & 6's don't get in the way.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last time I was up the road was on my Harley. Once into the unpaved section, It was a very rough ride. There were sections where the Grader was doing work. It would not have been any fun in the Vette. Lots of rocks that would not have cleared the delicate underbelly and body work. Ouch!
I would not drive the Vette up there.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Cornfed
Pro

It's been some time ago but I would stick with my DD on that trip.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone drive to the top of Pike's Peak?

Quick Reply: Anyone drive to the top of Pike's Peak?