Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TTP RX-7; Oversteer on Demand + Shakedown Vids

Old 08-09-2008, 11:15 AM
TTPMatt
Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTP RX-7; Oversteer on Demand + Shakedown Vids

*** Out Action

Shakedown on Pocono Long Course

USA-LS3RX7 Debut Video

Hotlap Motorsports & TTP Motorsports Proud to Announce the USA-LS3RX7

LS3 Shortblock
TTP S5 RR Cam
TTP SD Tune
TTP Scale Balance
TTP Custom Alignment to RR Specs
T56 Viper Box

And more...

Former paint scheme

Last edited by TTPMatt; 08-09-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:36 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice !!!

Old 08-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Missing your apexes by a ton.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:49 PM
TTPMatt
Supporting Vendor

Datawiz: These are a few of the first time out videos... The driver raced an Evo last year to numerous NASA victories and 2:02 times @ the Glen. The driver went 1:296 in his 4th run in this car last time out at Pocono long course. This was good enough for 2nd overall qualifier 4-thousandths behind a full race built Porsche with a lot more into than we have.

He must be doing something right.

Last edited by TTPMatt; 08-09-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:32 AM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice... apex schmapex - looks like a lot of fun, which is what it's all about - right?
Old 08-10-2008, 01:18 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RC45
apex schmapex
Old 08-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Very Nice!! Sounds great also.
What are the specs on the TTP S5 RR Cam??
Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

I heard the car will be at summit this weekend. That should be really cool, i cant wait to see it.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What are you gonna do for more power it seems slow

On a serious note, I stopped by to say hi at NJMP, but you guys were thrashing on the EB z06 and seemed kinda busy. Next time
Nando
Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
Man, I love this paint scheme!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Car looks like fun. What brakes are you running and what is the wait now? What times did it put down on Pocono double infield? I have no clue what is even good on that course.

I don't know what a full race Porsche is with more power than you but 1:29's would not be great for a car like that depending on the weight of it. Few cars ever go below 1:30 on Pocono long counter clock-wise.

Thanks for the vid may be it will make me work on my car later. Have a good time at the Viper event and get some vids.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
Datawiz: These are a few of the first time out videos... The driver raced an Evo last year to numerous NASA victories and 2:02 times @ the Glen. The driver went 1:296 in his 4th run in this car last time out at Pocono long course. This was good enough for 2nd overall qualifier 4-thousandths behind a full race built Porsche with a lot more into than we have.

He must be doing something right.
Ive seen his driving. If I was putting a race team together, hed be at the top of the list.

PS to Data: Most clubs dont position the cones for fastest laps times.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:42 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would imagine times would be longer than with the long course as you carry way more speed than you would in the south infield, and it also depends on if you run the hairpin or not. This video shows the hairpin. Was this the Hooked on Driving event in June?

Double infiled was interesting the other day with TT4Cars. The infields were extensively covered in mud/dirt until the end of the day from a specator event the week before.

Sorry to see you guys could not make it.

BTW...your apex's were fine, that is actually the correct line around the double infield as most DO NOT take the correct line around that course, especially coming off the super speedway. On this course what looks like the correct line is actually the wrong line. The course is almost an optical illusion and you can not follow the direction of the actual pavement like you would on a traditional road course, you have to "look ahead" to be faster in the more important areas of the course. So that is what you are seeing, not that he is missing apex's, but he has learned which corners are important for overall lap speed and which are just set up corners.

Also, coming out of the south infield, the paint from Pit out is causing you to lose traction. That is a common problem there. The best way to improve your time is to take the corner even wider and later (like Devil's elbow). Get your turn done on the outside of the white so you are point strait well before the grandstands. Nornally that would be a slower line, but with high powered cars and because of the paint, by turning in later and sharper, you will aviod the paint and have your car pointed strait well before the grandstands so you are on the throttle much sooner.

Nice video and good luck with the car!
Old 08-11-2008, 12:20 PM
kingkyle
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
Ive seen his driving. If I was putting a race team together, hed be at the top of the list.

PS to Data: Most clubs dont position the cones for fastest laps times.
Thanks for the kind words.. I remember your car from Lime Rock, you were driving the wheels off it!

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I would imagine times would be longer than with the long course as you carry way more speed than you would in the south infield, and it also depends on if you run the hairpin or not. This video shows the hairpin. Was this the Hooked on Driving event in June?

Double infiled was interesting the other day with TT4Cars. The infields were extensively covered in mud/dirt until the end of the day from a specator event the week before.

Sorry to see you guys could not make it.

BTW...your apex's were fine, that is actually the correct line around the double infield as most DO NOT take the correct line around that course, especially coming off the super speedway. On this course what looks like the correct line is actually the wrong line. The course is almost an optical illusion and you can not follow the direction of the actual pavement like you would on a traditional road course, you have to "look ahead" to be faster in the more important areas of the course. So that is what you are seeing, not that he is missing apex's, but he has learned which corners are important for overall lap speed and which are just set up corners.

Also, coming out of the south infield, the paint from Pit out is causing you to lose traction. That is a common problem there. The best way to improve your time is to take the corner even wider and later (like Devil's elbow). Get your turn done on the outside of the white so you are point strait well before the grandstands. Nornally that would be a slower line, but with high powered cars and because of the paint, by turning in later and sharper, you will aviod the paint and have your car pointed strait well before the grandstands so you are on the throttle much sooner.

Nice video and good luck with the car!

Thanks for pointing out the details, I was biting my tounge. Very true about the cones, DE cones are kinda funny sometimes. They setup the cones for "safe" apexes. Those of us who have done many days @ Pocono know that the lines are strange.

To answer your question about the Porsche that out qualified me. He has a 2,600lb Porsche cup car that has been modified to accept a twin turbo race motor. Its one of the most beautiful cars ive ever seen. With the turn of a **** or button, its estimated that he has 600-800whp. He was a front runner @ mid ohio nationals running times near or with the radicals.

Picture of the porsche
Old 08-11-2008, 12:56 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

2600 lb and 600-800 HP with a 1:29.6 I would expect better from a car like that on the long course.

Anyway give the Vipers fits and see what the faster Vipers are turning if you can.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Ari99
5th Gear

Hey Matt,did TTP build the car?Who did the wiring?I would think if a shop was going to showcase a build I would expect details like that to be addressed.Would that pass a race tech?Also,comparing this car to a factory racing Porsche seems like a lofty goal to me.After speaking to Mr. Soriano,he informed me that his boost was screwed way down, his comment was"why waste a 20 hour motor with a $25k freshening fee on a NASA club race?"That car(the RX7) has potential,don't get me wrong,but it's only half done.The most difficult half of the project is in the development,and the devil is in the details my friend...........
Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ari99
Hey Matt,did TTP build the car?Who did the wiring?I would think if a shop was going to showcase a build I would expect details like that to be addressed.Would that pass a race tech?Also,comparing this car to a factory racing Porsche seems like a lofty goal to me.After speaking to Mr. Soriano,he informed me that his boost was screwed way down, his comment was"why waste a 20 hour motor with a $25k freshening fee on a NASA club race?"That car(the RX7) has potential,don't get me wrong,but it's only half done.The most difficult half of the project is in the development,and the devil is in the details my friend...........
That makes the Porsche times more reasonable. 6-800 HP and 2600 lb the thing should be a rocketship. I noticed when watching the Pocono NASCAR race the were entering the corner at 208 MPH and well int the corner at 170 in Turn 1. I need to look back to confirm those speeds on the recorded program but it is what I remember. That boggle my mind

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-11-2008 at 03:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To TTP RX-7; Oversteer on Demand + Shakedown Vids

Old 08-11-2008, 06:24 PM
kingkyle
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ari99
I built the car in my garage, I cant afford to have a shop build my car, wish i could. TTP has been maintaining the car and doing the performance side of the build, I take full responsibility for the "build" part. TTP is simply trying to show a "cool" customer race car thats not your typical cookie cutter car. Before I built the car I didnt know how to change my own brake pads. I actually did my first oil change on this car The car passes race tech with flying colors. It was unfortunate that we had a bad alternator on day one, I would have gone faster if I got more than 6 laps the whole weekend, and didnt have to battle 5 cars on the infield of the North Course on my "hot lap". The car was un-corner balanced (last minute ride height adjustment to accommodate the new slicks) and had a brand new differential (Ford Cobra 8.8 that really sucks, not for road racing at all).

It doesn't matter where his boost level was, we are trying to gauge the limited amount of lap times we have to anything we can get on track with. I'm preparing the car for nationals next year and hope to get the car faster and faster each time we go out. The car shows alot of potential for only having 450whp and 4 test days under its belt. I think its reasonable to compare it to a factory racecar. For only the 4th day at the track, its much much faster then my last race car, and that did 2:02's at the glen with old tires. I imagine this car will be well under the 2min mark. I think the top driven GT3 cups run 1:55-2min. But hey, it doesnt really matter anyway, this is club racing... its supposed to be fun!

Last edited by kingkyle; 08-11-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:46 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkyle
I built the car in my garage, I cant afford to have a shop build my car, wish i could. TTP has been maintaining the car and doing the performance side of the build
First off, great work! Congrats on building the car yourself. It looks like a fun monster!

On your LS3 - what type of oilpan are you using....did you go with a dry sump? Also, which heads are you using?

Old 08-11-2008, 08:07 PM
kingkyle
Advanced

Originally Posted by RedLS6
First off, great work! Congrats on building the car yourself. It looks like a fun monster!

On your LS3 - what type of oilpan are you using....did you go with a dry sump? Also, which heads are you using?

Thanks it really is fun, I love it more every time I get to drive it.

The oil pan is from ATS, its a custom road race style LSX oil pan. Found here http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...unt2=577338814
I will be going to a dry sump once I have the cash. For now, the ATS pan with a big accusump will hopefully keep the motor alive this and next season.

The heads are stock LS3 heads "L92" but they are the latest L92 heads that are used on the new 485hp LS3 they offer from GM performance parts (or will offer soon, not sure if its out yet). They tell me the heads are flow a tiny bit better than the LS3 L92's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TTP RX-7; Oversteer on Demand + Shakedown Vids