Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] A hissing noise when shut off....

Old 07-01-2008, 10:13 AM
mrk45
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A hissing noise when shut off....

This is a strange one...new ZO6....less that 500 miles...I get home and put the car in the garage and turn it off. I hear a 'hissing' noise coming from the engine compartment....sounds like there was a leak in the cooling system. Opened the hood....no evidence of a leak anywhere and the coolant level is where it should be. Made an appointment with the dealer to take it in tomorrow to get it checked. It sounded like it was coming from the rear of the motor area...my initial thought is that it might be collected liquid from the air conditioning system running onto one of the exhaust pipes. The noise went away after about 30 seconds.

Any thoughts or prior experiences with this type of problem?

thanks,
Old 07-01-2008, 10:27 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Mine did that and even though I didn't go to the dealer, it was decided it was the water from the AC dripping on the hot exhaust pipe, it still does it occasionally.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two things can make that sound. A/C refrigerent squeezing through the orifice tube as the system equalizes pressure. Or evap core condensation dripping on the exhaust. Both perfectly normal, don't sweat it.

I wouldn't take it to the dealer, last thing you want is those grease monkeys touching the car. Nothing is wrong. Run it with the HVAC system off then shut the car down, just to prove it's a norma A/C sound after shut off. All my cars do it. The high side runs at a real high pressure, when you shut the motor off, the pressure bleeds through the orifice tube to the low side until the pressure equalizes.

Last edited by Michrider; 07-01-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:33 AM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 137 Posts

Occasionally I get noises when I park my car.
The noise only occurs when the front of my car is lower than the back.
The noise sounds like liquid hitting a very hot surface which generates a hissing sound (vaporizing the water).

I think, in my case, it is the water from the air conditioner hitting the exhaust system.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:48 AM
HISSMAN
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michrider
Two things can make that sound. A/C refrigerent squeezing through the orifice tube as the system equalizes pressure. Or evap core condensation dripping on the exhaust. Both perfectly normal, don't sweat it.

I wouldn't take it to the dealer, last thing you want is those grease monkeys touching the car. Nothing is wrong. Run it with the HVAC system off then shut the car down, just to prove it's a norma A/C sound after shut off. All my cars do it. The high side runs at a real high pressure, when you shut the motor off, the pressure bleeds through the orifice tube to the low side until the pressure equalizes.
+1. All of my cars do this as well. The cobra is especially loud. It almost sounds like a BOV.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:23 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

I agree with the others. It’s Ok you will be fine.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:54 AM
mrm
Instructor

Ditto here. I was told it is A/C condensation dripping on the exhaust. Like DaOtherOne said it only seems to happen when the car is listing one way ... supposedly the water runs along the frame in this case and then drips off onto the exhaust.

- Mark
Old 07-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Hatdude
Burning Brakes

That's just the car taunting the Vipers. It does it while running too, you just can't hear it over the 427.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:25 PM
GS Rich
Instructor

Old 07-01-2008, 01:34 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

I have had mine a week and it does it every time I park it in the garage.

It is hotter than hell

I am running the AC wide open

It is water on something hot

don't take to dealer
Old 07-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Lucky13
Burning Brakes

It is AC condensation water hitting hot exhaust surfaces. I had it up on the lift changing the oil and saw it happening. Nothing to worry about..
Old 07-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Michrider

Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 388 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Mine did that and even though I didn't go to the dealer, it was decided it was the water from the AC dripping on the hot exhaust pipe, it still does it occasionally.

every time I use the A/C..........
Old 07-01-2008, 11:08 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatdude
That's just the car taunting the Vipers. It does it while running too, you just can't hear it over the 427.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:00 AM
exukboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't he talking about bleed down from one or more of the combustion chambers as a result of turning off the motor? Valves closed, piston coming up on the compression stroke, engine shut off, air/fuel mix remaining and gradually exiting most probably seeping around the rings and into the crank case?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:05 AM
mrk45
Instructor

Thanks for all of the replies. Took the car to my local dealer...whose Service Manager I know and trust...seems that y'all are correct in that the air conditioning system is what is causing the sound by the hi/lo sides equalizing. Not a problem...as noted by forum members.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:11 AM
HISSMAN
Intermediate

Does anyone else get the feeling that he doesn't trust us so much. ;-)
Old 07-02-2008, 11:16 AM
mrk45
Instructor

I do trust the replies.....my only real concern is that I am leaving for a cross country trip next week and just wanted to be sure that there was nothing amiss with this new car and to get my concern on the dealer's records. Life is good!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:50 PM
HISSMAN
Intermediate

I know. Just messing with you.

Get notified of new replies

To A hissing noise when shut off....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] A hissing noise when shut off....