C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Stainless Works came today :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:37 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Default Stainless Works came today :)

Ordered these in BG on the 10th, they got here quicker than expected.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:12 PM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They look pretty sweet...are you going to have them coated? Is there some sort of badge on the front? I guess the holes in the collector are for O2 sensors?

Last edited by USAFPILOT; 05-15-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:50 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Nice... Just got done putting a set on mine a few weeks back, The sound is great with flowmasters
Old 05-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
Ordered these in BG on the 10th, they got here quicker than expected.

Looks good... I hope they fit better than the last set Jeffvette was working on. GC
Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by USAFPILOT
They look pretty sweet...are you going to have them coated? Is there some sort of badge on the front? I guess the holes in the collector are for O2 sensors?
No
Yes
Yes
Old 05-15-2008, 06:36 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Looks good... I hope they fit better than the last set Jeffvette was working on. GC

Yea, me too!
Old 05-15-2008, 07:13 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

I'd guess that comment might have been better kept to "yourself"!

If you've "first hand" knowledge and could offer some installation "tips" it would maybe be considered constructive if you offered them up. I doubt you do. You've likely "no knowledge" of the car or the install. I don't ever recall hearing any comments regarding an install other than the typical header install aggravation! A very recent install Post#3 had "no comments" regarding aggravation but it did seem he had a "grin-on"!
If you've "first hand knowledge" of a product issue "speak-up"!

*I just checked the forum @ the "registry" and for the most part I'd say the comments by posters reflected somewhat "typical" aggravation that most overcame and regarded as something maybe to be anticipated regardless of brand. Jeff's snapshots I'd like to think are a "one of issue"! Maybe my "comment" was strong but I damned sure wouldn't have made "the remark"!

John, I'd guess it's time for the "machinist's straightedge" and comparing a couple sets of gaskets to confirm the flange bores and mounting holes before starting but most do that before doing the install anyway. It's a header install, there's likely challenges but I'd guess you've seen the thread I refered to @ the "registry"! It's good to know though that you do need to check!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-15-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:54 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know what your clowns are talking about but.....

Jeff is a stand up guy that does quality work.

SW makes a great set of headers - I love mine
Old 05-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I'd guess that comment might have been better kept to "yourself"!
Well opinions are like bung holes everyone has one I suspose, Last time I looked this was a free Country and Jeffvette did mention he had trouble with the last set

If you've "first hand" knowledge and could offer some installation "tips" it would maybe be considered constructive if you offered them up. I doubt you do. You've likely "no knowledge" of the car or the install. I don't ever recall hearing any comments regarding an install other than the typical header install aggravation! A very recent install Post#3 had "no comments" regarding aggravation but it did seem he had a "grin-on"!
I do have first hand knowledge of header installations, and I completely trust Jeffvettes knowledge experience and opinions. And you are whom? To question me

*I just checked the forum @ the "registry" and for the most part I'd say the comments by posters reflected somewhat "typical" aggravation that most overcame and regarded as something maybe to be anticipated regardless of brand. Jeff's snapshots I'd like to think are a "one of issue"! Maybe my "comment" was strong but I damned sure wouldn't have made "the remark"!
Not from what I read and my personal discussion with Jeff on the fitment issue. Your right even Jeals can have fitment issues but there was a significant problem with the last set that basically Jeff was blown off about when reporting the issue to the Mfg. I really don't give a damn what you would do or wouldnt do

John, I'd guess it's time for the "machinist's straightedge" and comparing a couple sets of gaskets to confirm the flange bores and mounting holes before starting but most do that before doing the install anyway. It's a header install, there's likely challenges but I'd guess you've seen the thread I refered to @ the "registry"! It's good to know though that you do need to check!

Gee your first "good opinion" of the post which is what I was suggesting to do. Check the post and look for fitment issues that Jeff reported. What a tool!

Last edited by Goldcylon; 05-15-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:40 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Are these Watson Headers?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:55 PM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

[QUOTE=GoldcylonLast time I looked this was a free Country and Jeffvette did mention he had trouble with the last set

Not from what I read and my personal discussion with Jeff on the fitment issue. Your right even Jeals can have fitment issues but there was a significant problem with the last set that basically Jeff was blown off about when reporting the issue to the Mfg. I really don't give a damn what you would do or wouldnt do[/QUOTE]

THIS is where a manufacturer's rep can come into play... Stainless Works is a fantastic company and make high quality headers, but the bottom line is, a pair of LT5 headers is the equivalent of a proverbial needle in a haystack for their total business.

Does that mean that Jeff should be 'blown off?' Absolutely not. I don't know the specifics of the issue, but can tell you, *this* is where a person who is personally involved in the LT5 community could be of service. Know that this issue would have *significant* exposure within the SW's organization if someone was.

My advice to Jeff is to speak with Al Noe ASAP. He was *always* proactive to any issues I had when selling headers within our community.

Regards,

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock

Last edited by ZR WON; 05-15-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:04 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

This is your first comment on this "thread" and it seems to imply a problem with the product. The fact remains it seems to be an "isolated incident" and I'm sure we would all like to think it as such. The OP was kind of saying "Look what I got"! Your comment "I hope they fit" seems still a bit "tacky"! No where in this thread was there any install questions!
SSW's products are first class! I've not heard or seen comments such as your "hope they fit"!

*John---get after 'em and "get 'em on"! They're "first class" without a doubt!! The straightedge and flange check are part of the chore, nothing only required by SSW products!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:13 PM
4DSZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is your first comment on this "thread" and it seems to imply a problem with the product. The fact remains it seems to be an "isolated incident" and I'm sure we would all like to think it as such. The OP was kind of saying "Look what I got"! Your comment "I hope they fit" seems still a bit "tacky"! No where in this thread was there any install questions!
SSW's products are first class! I've not heard or seen comments such as your "hope they fit"!

*John---get after 'em and "get 'em on"! They're "first class" without a doubt!! The straightedge and flange check are part of the chore, nothing only required by SSW products!

This is the "stuff" that gives forums a bad rap. Comments like this tends to make people gun-shy about posting anything. You want to talk Tacky... your comments take the tacky cake award.

Jeeezuz it was just a comment or concern, lighten up!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Wow welcome to the read what you want into any thread post. Read it again. Great you have an opinion.. I have one too. The issue was fully covered with documented photo proof of the firment issue in the other forum which the OP is a member of as well. Even Dominic S had some of the same concerns in the other forum. Is it possible that maybe Jeffvete might have found a very serious issue? Tacky ? Sounds you talking about a panties wad placement problem of yours not mine.

Heres that post from the other forum. Looks like a significant issue that Jeff was dealing with the set he was currently working with http://zr1netregistry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5637. Complete with pictures to show exactly what he was talking about.

Here is another thread by the same OP with a different handle in the other forum where Dominic S voices his concern as well
http://zr1netregistry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5699

Again this appears to be a "new" issue of concern as other members have not had any "beyond normal fitment problems" that everyone experieces in process of donating blood to install headers in the past such as We Gone. AGAIN THIS IS A NEW POTENTIAL ISSUE..............

Last edited by Goldcylon; 05-15-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:16 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

A very recent install Post#3 had "no comments" regarding aggravation but it did seem he had a "grin-on"!
Here are my comments on the install from the (other Forum)

I just got this set from SSW on 3/28 ordered them the first of Feb. took about a month as they had to make them and send them out for coating. Got around to putting them on 2 weeks ago. Everything went normal as far as header installs go. The fit was good all the bolt holes lined up very nice. The fit near the steering shaft was close but still had about 3/8 inch of clearance. As far as the left motor mount they do touch the insulation but nothing more. On the right side the only close spot is the frame rail with about a 1/16 inch clearance.

And may I add I am very happy with the fit and quality of the headers…was it an easy install, yes but the removal of the old headers was a pain. I took my time installing and had them on and off about 6 to 8 times making sure everything was going to work out before I made the final install.

Last edited by FASTAZU; 05-15-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 4DSZR1
You want to talk Tacky... your comments take the tacky cake award.

Jeeezuz it was just a comment or concern, lighten up!

Thanks for the support
Old 05-15-2008, 09:34 PM
lite blue
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Those look familiar. I got in on the group buy a while back. I'm trying to decide what I want for the rest of the system.
I'm concerned about Jeff's problem, also. Hope it's isolated.

Get notified of new replies

To Stainless Works came today :)

Old 05-15-2008, 09:47 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by We Gone

Hey We Gone,

What brand Cats and Ball Flanges are those?
Old 05-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by We Gone
Here are my comments on the install from the (other Forum)

I just got this set from SSW on 3/28 ordered them the first of Feb. took about a month as they had to make them and send them out for coating. Got around to putting them on 2 weeks ago. Everything went normal as far as header installs go. The fit was good all the bolt holes lined up very nice. The fit near the steering shaft was close but still had about 3/8 inch of clearance. As far as the left motor mount they do touch the insulation but nothing more. On the right side the only close spot is the frame rail with about a 1/16 inch clearance.

And may I add I am very happy with the fit and quality of the headers…was it an easy install, yes but the removal of the old headers was a pain. I took my time installing and had them on and off about 6 to 8 times making sure everything was going to work out before I made the final install.

Clean install, What kind of Cats are those RTs or MFs?
Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Clean install, What kind of Cats are those RTs or MFs?

LMAO Great minds think alike.. I think

I asked the SAME thing

Quick Reply: Stainless Works came today :)