Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Mount vs Side Mount - Battery Posts

Old 04-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Mordi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Top Mount vs Side Mount - Battery Posts

I have noticed that some battery terminal posts are on the top of the battery and some are on the side. And some batteries have two sets of posts. My OEM 01 Delco AGM battery has side mounted posts

Is there any advantage/disadvantage of top vs side mounted posts?

I am not sure, but the AC Delco Professional battery may have top mounted posts. IF that is true, can the OEM battery cables be used with either top or side mounted batteries or do you have to change the cables if you want to use batteries with top mounted posts?

Thanks,
Mordi
Old 04-04-2008, 05:19 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If your cables were originally intended for a side mounted battery, they may not stretch to top mounted posts.
Side mount design usually requires a stud/ring terminal connection at the battery.
Top post are usually clamp type connection at the battery.
Either can be overcome with after market adapter terminals, changing of the terminal ends or new cables from the year specific that came in the configuration you're electing to use.
Trying to stretch/force the cables might put undue stress on something along the routing.
I use an OPTIMA red top (with top and side posts) and the configuration of the battery required I slightly angle the terminals/cables from the original top post only oem battery configuration.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Mordi
Racer

hotwheels 57,

That was the kind of information I was looking for. Now I have a good understanding of what I need to do in the event I decide to switch to a top mount battery.

Thanks for the reply

Mordi
Old 04-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Mordi,

As an FYI, the new AC Delco Professional batteries are available with either, depending upon what year Corvette is specified. If you go to the AC Delco website, you can run a search for the correct battery part number. That battery's description will mention its post orientation.

Dave
Old 04-05-2008, 12:39 AM
ZEEEEOOOOSIC
Drifting

AC DELCO -PROFESSIONAL SERIES 78H-6R are side mounts have one for sale if interested on a tender
Old 04-05-2008, 01:00 AM
Mordi
Racer

Dave,

Thank you for the information - good to know the battery is available with side posts

Mordi
Old 04-05-2008, 01:08 AM
nauticalpsycho
Navigator

Default Both top and side is the best!

I recently replaced my battery with one with both top and side posts. The car requires the side post connection BUT I use the top post for my 1/0 guage amp power cable. Before, I had to actually use a charging post screw-in adaptor in place of the side post screw to accomplish this.

Another major benefit is that a top post is easier to connect a jumper cable to.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:15 AM
Mordi
Racer

Originally Posted by nauticalpsycho
I recently replaced my battery with one with both top and side posts. The car requires the side post connection BUT I use the top post for my 1/0 guage amp power cable. Before, I had to actually use a charging post screw-in adaptor in place of the side post screw to accomplish this.

Another major benefit is that a top post is easier to connect a jumper cable to.
I never really thought about that, but now that you point that out, it would indeed be easier to jump - nicely done

Mordi

Get notified of new replies

To Top Mount vs Side Mount - Battery Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top Mount vs Side Mount - Battery Posts