Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Lingering Nav install problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:07 PM
pimpinvcu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lingering Nav install problems

I still have to locate the VSS wire. I am trying to tap in behind the speedo... which wire on which connector(grey or black) is it? I also tied the illumination wire in the to the hazard switch (grey/black wire) but it still does not dim or switch to night mode. I also have a popping and static noise when the system is on. Do I need to reduce the voltage to the amp from the HU? What about the noise?

Thanks guys!
Old 03-25-2008, 03:42 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by pimpinvcu
I still have to locate the VSS wire. I am trying to tap in behind the speedo... which wire on which connector(grey or black) is it? I also tied the illumination wire in the to the hazard switch (grey/black wire) but it still does not dim or switch to night mode. I also have a popping and static noise when the system is on. Do I need to reduce the voltage to the amp from the HU? What about the noise?

Thanks guys!
Sorry, don't know which one the VSS wire is back there.

This thread said you use the Gray wire in the AH button harness to get illumination.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=illumination

The pop you're getting isn't terribly uncommon, unfortunately. You're hitting a delay between when the head comes on and the amp comes on. The amp is already by the time the head comes on and sends voltage to it's outputs, the amp is taking this noise and sending it to the speakers. I haven't seen a workaround for this other than switching to an aftermarket amplifier that triggers from the head itself.

Not sure what you mean by static. Are you getting crackling or are you hearing alternator whine? If you're getting whine/noise that varies with RPM then you've likely got a ground issue. If you grounded the head separate from the factory harness (made your own ground) then I'd move the ground to the factory harness. Multiple ground points are a surefire way to wind up with alternator whine.

Hope some of this info helps, good luck!

Quick Reply: Lingering Nav install problems