C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I shorten my parking brake cable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 05:07 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Default How can I shorten my parking brake cable?

I already have 2 of those little threaded hook type things, still too long. Originally the cable was fine, but I rerouted the rear cable to the top of the trailing arms to get clearance for 275/15 rear tires. I had new clips welded on the trailing arms to hold the cable, but this new route must be about 2 inches shorter. I adjusted the parking brakes themselves and shortened the front cable as much as possible. Still too loose. Any ideas? Anybody make a shorter cable with the proper sleeves etc on it?
Old 10-27-2007, 05:13 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

You could loop it and use a couple cable clamps.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

How about a Boating Supply store. They could cut 1 end of the cable as short as you need and then 'swage' a new ball on to the cut end.
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-27-2007, 09:47 PM
65Tuxedo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut my rod to fit and welded it back together, just a thought.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:43 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I will have to try one of those methods.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:34 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I will have to try one of those methods.
You can go to a autoparts store and see what lengths of cable they have in their catalog or a marine/cable supply place may be able to fabricate new custom cables for you. You could cut the cable where it mounts to the front cable and use some Crosby clamps to shorten it there by paralleling the 2 cables for a couple of inches (not too clean but it is under the car anyhow.) You could also try to shorten the front cable to compensate or re-mount the brakets on the control arms. I measured how far away they were from the PB arms and got the dimension right on my Vette. Why GM did'nt go to the top to begin with, I'll never know!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:04 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

One other thought-you could add a couple extra guides to use up the extra cable.
On pickup trucks they run the cable around a steel hook that attaches to the frame but on the vette system with its weak return springs I would look into a couple pulleys mounted to the crossmember.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:06 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Lots of interesting suggestions. Right now I'm leaning toward Solid LT1's idea about cutting and clamping the cable. This way I can leave the cable in place and overlap and clamp to the right length. The only real question is whether I can cut the cable under the car.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:19 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Cut it at the point it goes through the sheet metal guide where front cable bolts on. You can put the Crosby clips on either side of the cable, use 4 of them if you are uncomfotable with only 2 (you should have enough room there.)
Old 08-01-2013, 06:09 AM
ediesone
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z-Tronix Inc. serves the aerospace, appliance (white goods), automotive, Cable Assembly, entertainment, factory automation, industrial (traffic control), lighting, marine, medical, pool & spa, and telecom industries. Our company's growth is based on providing our customers with exceptional service whie maintaing high standards of quality and efficiency
Old 08-01-2013, 06:51 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ediesone
Z-Tronix Inc. serves the aerospace, appliance (white goods), automotive, Cable Assembly, entertainment, factory automation, industrial (traffic control), lighting, marine, medical, pool & spa, and telecom industries. Our company's growth is based on providing our customers with exceptional service whie maintaing high standards of quality and efficiency
Wow, you dug up a 6 year old thread to post an advertisement.

Get notified of new replies

To How can I shorten my parking brake cable?

Quick Reply: How can I shorten my parking brake cable?