C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Napa oil filter (gold)

Old 04-18-2007, 01:23 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Napa oil filter (gold)

Anyone swear by these? I heard hear on the forum on another thread that these are the best. Went over to buy one but $6.99/filter + tax seemed a little high for an oil filter. Is this what you guys are paying in other states for the Napa Gold?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:32 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

You can get the AC Delco and WIX filters for less than that.
I like the WIX filters, and it seems like I read somewhere that WIX makes the NAPA filters.
The last time I bought filters, I got 2 filters for $9.00, including tax.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 04-18-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:37 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
You can get the AC Delco and WIX filters for less than that.
I like the WIX filters, and it seems like I read somewhere that WIX makes the NAPA filters.
Did you get them at the store or order them on the internet?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:39 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by captcruz
Did you get them at the store or order them on the internet?
No, I bought them at the local parts store.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:42 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
No, I bought them at the local parts store.
Thanks I'll start calling around and see what I can find.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The NAPA Gold and the WIX filters are the same. I just switched to them. I was using DELCO Gold, but switched to get more flow, and I did, my oil pressure increased. That price is not bad for a premium oil filter. You can use the standard GM oil filter, they tested them for 200,000 miles engine life (changing them of course).
Old 04-18-2007, 01:54 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
The NAPA Gold and the WIX filters are the same. I just switched to them. I was using DELCO Gold, but switched to get more flow, and I did, my oil pressure increased. That price is not bad for a premium oil filter. You can use the standard GM oil filter, they tested them for 200,000 miles engine life (changing them of course).
Hhmmmm Interesting. More flow sounds good to me. Do you find that the flow comes down after a couple of thousand miles on the filter? I thought I read one time that someone said they change the oil filter with 50% on the DIC.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:03 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

$7 is not expensive for an oil filter... try the Mobil 1 extended life or the K&N ... you will be paying almost twice that much....
Old 04-18-2007, 02:44 PM
DSSA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's wrong with Fram?

Please don't start spewing technical jargon that people have "read somewhere" about "burst pressure", "bypass valves", unless you guys are seriously running oil for 10K miles.

I've owned over 20 turbocharged cars (read filtration critical on $1500+ turbos) and NEVER had an issue with Fram filtration, burst pressure, yadda-yadda. Then of course, I don't let my oil turn into sludge.

One thing that I HAVE had issues with is some oil filters with thin o-ring seals on motors that are going to be spun up high and create a decent amount of vibration. The thinner o-rings don't absorb the vibrations and have spun off. I don't care about techno-babble when the filter and 5+ quarts of oil are lying on the road/track.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:46 PM
max'svette
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '11

Fram uses the worst filter material. And it has the worst filtration out of all the brands (least pleats).

This has been beat to death.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:56 PM
rcknusa
Burning Brakes

I too use the NAPA gold series and my oil pressure increased by several pounds. I run to 1-2% on the DIC before changing Mobile 1 oil and the pressure stays at 40+ psi. I use this filter on the corvette and the SUV. Very happy with with it. I drive every day and put 15-20K on the car every year without any oil pressure or metal in enging problems.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

I was in the trucking business for 25+ years and used Wix filters on all my vehicles, never had a lubrication related problem in all those years. I recently found a web site that sells the complete line of Wix/NAPA gold filters, great prices, prompt delivery, and no drama. Check it out at www.fleetfilter.com They even carried the fuel/water separator for my boat.

Last edited by Bubbletop409; 04-21-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:08 PM
DSSA
Instructor

Originally Posted by max'svette
Fram uses the worst filter material. And it has the worst filtration out of all the brands (least pleats).

This has been beat to death.
And I still say that in 12 years of building turbocharged cars I've yet to have a turbo bearing failure using them as a result of poor filtration.

I'd be glad to hear your personal or first-hand experiences that differ though.

If Chevy's bearings are more prone to microscopic particles then turbo bearings operating @ 100K rpms, they have some design issues.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:15 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bubbletop409
I was in the trucking business for 25+ years and used Wix filters on all my vehicles, never had a lubrication related problem in all those years. I recently found a web site that sells the complete line of Wix/NAPA gold filters, great prices, prompt delivery, and no drama. Check it out at www.fleetfilters.com They even carried the fuel/water separator for my boat.
Thanks for the site I prefer to order things like this over the internet in bulk.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by captcruz
Thanks for the site I prefer to order things like this over the internet in bulk.
Your quite welcome, I also like to bulk purchase, so I allways have one on hand. My first purchase with them brought me a total of 16 various filters for $ 77.00 delivered to my door. Less than half of what the same filters would have been in a retail store.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:13 PM
berryj
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having trouble finding the purchase page for these wix filters on that weblink. Do u have a more specific link that goes right to a purchase web page for these filters? The fleet filter weblink just seems to have suggestions for finding a manufacturer, but not to purchase.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:39 AM
clayton1
Safety Car

I use the Napa Gold all the time, and 6.00$ for a filter is expensive?
I think I pay around 11.00 for one (cdn).

Get notified of new replies

To Napa oil filter (gold)

Old 04-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Cobraboy
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

The NAPA Gold and the WIX filters are the same. I just switched to them. I was using DELCO Gold, but switched to get more flow, and I did, my oil pressure increased
I too use the NAPA gold series and my oil pressure increased by several pounds
I find these statements interesting (a bit funny, actually). Think about it. The only way a filter can give you an increase in oil pressure is by having less pressure restriction through it. There are only 2 way to accomplish this; have a coarser fitering media (ie, bigger "holes"), or more filtering area. Since the casing is a fixed size I can't imagine that there could be much difference in the total area of the filtering media. Also, total area is not an accurate measure, since the media material/thickness will have a major effect as well. Increasing oil flow/pressure by reducing the filtering capability is not something you want, but is this how these filters are doing that?

Just some thoughts
Old 04-20-2007, 09:34 AM
rcknusa
Burning Brakes

I have no idea why the increase in pressure, it is just something I noticed. When I paged through the DIC prior to using the gold I had 40 psi after the gold it was 42 psi. I even used the ac delco one time after that and it still showed 42 psi. I could simply be that the time I noticed 40 psi I had less oil in the system. But you do have a good point.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobraboy
I find these statements interesting (a bit funny, actually). Think about it. The only way a filter can give you an increase in oil pressure is by having less pressure restriction through it. There are only 2 way to accomplish this; have a coarser fitering media (ie, bigger "holes"), or more filtering area. Since the casing is a fixed size I can't imagine that there could be much difference in the total area of the filtering media. Also, total area is not an accurate measure, since the media material/thickness will have a major effect as well. Increasing oil flow/pressure by reducing the filtering capability is not something you want, but is this how these filters are doing that?

Just some thoughts

I was using DELCO Gold and Mobil 1 premium filters. These filters filter very well, but at the expense of flow. They don't flow well, some people say this is bad. I changed to WIX/NAPA Gold. You make your own conclusions/decisions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Napa oil filter (gold)