C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Shop is milling my heads .030" about how much more compression should that>

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 12:09 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Default Shop is milling my heads .030" about how much more compression should that>

Hi,
I am in the process of a hot cam kit install, head port polish, gasket match intake and exhaust, and head mill .030"

I need to know what my compression will be after I do this.

Does anybody know? The reason why I need to know is so I can give the info to Ed Wright for a custom chip program.

mY car is a 1993 6speed Corvette convertible

Any response would be appreciated.

Old 10-06-2001, 08:54 PM
drive it
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Re: Shop is milling my heads .030" about how much more compression should that> (dizwiz24)

Wellllll, You need to find out the "cc" of your heads after milling; the most accurate way is to seal a piece of hard plastic over the cyl. area and measure water into it thru a small hole that you drill in the plastic. Then you need to know the "cc" of the pistons, even if they are flat tops they will have notches for valves. Also need to know the thickness of the head gasket and how far below the deck the top of the piston sits at tdc. Then you can take all the numbers and do the math. Easiest way is with compression ratio calculator software-just plug in the #'s.
Old 10-06-2001, 11:55 PM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Shop is milling my heads .030" about how much more compression should that> (dizwiz24)

There is not to much material that you can/want to remove on the stock chamber. Given that, you probably raised the compression between .5-.6 CC's.
Good Luck,
Old 10-08-2001, 12:03 PM
ce_me_vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much is your head work costing you?

Get notified of new replies

To Shop is milling my heads .030" about how much more compression should that>

Quick Reply: Shop is milling my heads .030" about how much more compression should that>