C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5 Weather Stripping

Old 01-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Bfail
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default c5 Weather Stripping

Ive got a question. My targa top had been leaking behind my passenger side door right above the seat belt. I have installed new weather stripping along the back of the frame where the targa top meets the roof, also, I have installed new weather stripping along the side of targa top. It seems as if there are new leaks with my weather stripping. Does it need time for the adhesive to heat up and seal itself or was it improperly installed? I did a pretty good job of cleaning off the old weather stripping using mineral spirits to get the old adhesive goop off. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Bryan Fail
Technical Recruiter
TechStar, INC.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default all ears here...

my 2000 coupe does this too....
Old 01-22-2007, 05:01 PM
DADEO1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question

Mine does not leak but has been torn where the targa top pins go in.

I repaired it with some of the GM black sealant.

I have been thinking about replacing the whole seal.

How hard was it to put the new one on ?

Sorry I don't have an answer for you.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Bfail
Instructor

it was not hard to put the new weather stripping on....just a little time consuming becasue you have to make sure you get all of the old goop off...other than that it is pretty easy.....I wouldnt change it if it is not leaking....seems to be a problem with the targo tops....if it aint broke, dont fix it
Old 01-22-2007, 09:32 PM
biglu187
Heel & Toe

I had a simular issue. Mine was not leaking at the strip that mounts outside where the glass windows meet the top. mine was where that stripping mounts on the top. When you remove that stripping, there is that piece of framing that screws on to the top with 4 screws. Mine was leaking between that piece and the top. I just used some weather stripping I had at home and put it in between there and screwed it down tight. No more leaks for me. Hope this helps a little.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:06 AM
screw991le
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Before you go through all that removing. There is a lip in the weather stripping where the roof meets the car. If you put the top on by yourself alot then you most likly bent the rubber channel back and are blocking the drain.

Look at the roof's weather stripping where the roof and the car meet look to see if you ripped the stripping near the water channel hole. If so when you go to put the roof on, be carefull not to bend this piece. The water will go into the car and run down the B-pillar onto the floor instead of going down the drain channel.

I found this out the hard way on a 600 mile trip in the pouring rain. Needless to say I got soaked trying to find out why. I bent the stripping. Thanks to this forum and wireless access, I did a search in the car to find out the answer, and I did.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Bfail
Instructor

Thanks for all the info. My father and I have looked at the weather strpping and made sure everything is in place. Its brand new, put it on 3 days ago. Nothing is ripped...I dont really understand, I would hate to have to take it in to get this fixed becasue thats just a waste of 100 bucks for them to do probalby 3 min worth of work. I can tell you I will never take my hard top off again once i get it firgured out though!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:41 PM
screw991le
Race Director

It does not have to be ripped. If you bend the car's stripping with the roof, it blocks the channels. Try putting the roof on with 2 people and watch the car's piece, when you put the roof on.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Bfail
Instructor

I looked at it today and it doesn not look like the piece is ripped. Everything looks like it is in place. I still dont have a clue!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:06 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Is the water channel blocked with debris? Can you post a pic of the strip?
Old 01-27-2007, 01:11 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I'm getting lost here... where's the car leaking? There are adjustments for the window tip in, the blow out clip and the Targa top. You can also "re-center" the window in the hole (that sounds stupid!) with the help of a friend...

screw991le - Your avatar cracks me up!
Old 01-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Mr. Lucky
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Pick up a copy of the January 2007 edition of Vette magazine. There is a step-by-step pictorial detailing how to replace the B-pillar weather stripping.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:38 PM
rgtkst
Melting Slicks

i replaced the weather stip on the car behind the removeable top. it was a pain to get in the chanel. i also got a new targa clear top from a 04 model. i think its side rubber is a little different than the 00 version. or my front seal by the windshield is deformed from age. i have never had a rear leaking top issue since. but the front by the windshield and driver window does every so often dripple a bit. the drive3r window of mine needed realigned. both up and down wise and in/out wise. helpd alot. the targa can be aligned by the rear latch to pull it tighter. the front can be aligned also. proper installation of the top matter a bunch so as to get the rear corners in the proper spot in the rear seal of the car also.

Get notified of new replies

To c5 Weather Stripping

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c5 Weather Stripping