C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, cylinder head identification

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 05:38 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Help, cylinder head identification

I have these aluminum cylinder heads on my SBC 383 and I cant find out what brand they are since there is no name on them. Here are the pics I can only find the identifcation number PC3001-0512-0353 on the head above the headers. The engine builder says they are RHS but Jegs said if it is a RHS it would say RHS somwhere. They only other place I think it could be is under the guideplates. I pulled the valve cover and saw no identification.
Attached Images   
Old 01-14-2007, 08:14 PM
GOSFAST
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Chinese Heads

Originally Posted by King Lear
I have these aluminum cylinder heads on my SBC 383 and I cant find out what brand they are since there is no name on them. Here are the pics I can only find the identifcation number PC3001-0512-0353 on the head above the headers. The engine builder says they are RHS but Jegs said if it is a RHS it would say RHS somwhere. They only other place I think it could be is under the guideplates. I pulled the valve cover and saw no identification.
Those are a set of the "off-shore" pieces. They are manufactured by the same "Chinese" foundry producing the BB's also.

The performance you can get from those heads you have there should not be under-estimated, we have them on a number of 383" SB's over here producing in the neighborhood of 440/450 HP with an older style Edelbrock "Torker" intake.

These heads are normally taken from the boxes, checked out for any issues, installed on the units, dynoed, and sent down the "pike". Not a single issue to date. An excellent "budget" head that delivers!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. With some "massaging" on these we would able to get up to the 475/485 HP range on the 383" H.R. platform. The BB's we opted to not get involved using. Had 2 sets in the shop awhile back and returned both after a "visual" check and some initial testing on the flow bench. Too much "prepping" to handle them! The BB's are numbered PC3021's.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:15 AM
PORTWORX
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes They Are Import Heads Due To The Fact Of The Coding On Them . Cant Tell You Cc Or Port Volume Unless Takin Off ..engine Builder Would Know That ..i Ran Into Some Problems With Them In The Past ...pushrod Rubbing Into Casting But If The Guy Checked All Off This .they Should Perform Well And Be Reliable.....
Old 01-15-2007, 11:05 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, I have found out they are ProComp cylinder heads. They are goin on ebay for about 750.00 assembled. I am pissed I was told when I had the 383 engine built they were Canfield/Jegs heads 215cc. My father in law just got his vette back from the same builder and he wrote them down as RHS 200cc cylinder heads on the bill. I think I am going to have to hurt someone now. Since I programed in the flow rates for these heads and it drops my total HP to 504HP from 523HP. The procomp catalog says that the PC-3001's are 160cc and their web site says they are 190cc. I dont think anyone knows for sure what this Chinese sh@t really is!

Last edited by King Lear; 01-16-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:43 AM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by King Lear
I am really pissed, I got charged 1000 for these as Canfield heads. I am using about 1qt of oil every 300miles. I have 1800 miles on the rebuild but it is still eating oil and not leaking it. He is either going to give me about 400$ back or switch them out with some Canfield or Motown's as I told him in the first place.
I know he had to change the springs on them for my camshaft. I have the Comp Cams roller tip rockers. I have an edelbrock RPM air gap intake with a Quick Fuel PV-750 carb, crane cams 509/528 lift Hydro Roller camshaft, Hooker side pipe 1 3/4 headers, MSD 6AL ignition. TH400 B&M shift kit rebuilt tranny. Have anything close to this set up and know th HP, my Comp Cams engine dyno program says it should be around 504 HP @ 6000RPM and 523 ft lbs @ 5000 RPM.
No telling what he paid for the heads sounds like he has made some
extra money off you. Using that much oil do you have some spark
plugs with oil on them ?? Quart of oil every 300 miles I think you have
more then just a head problem.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 01-16-2007 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:09 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

man talk about a pain. I did just finally find out that I have the Pro Comp 210 cc heads. They use the same casting PC3001 for all the 190cc and 210cc heads then just port them out from there. He was able to run my numbers and find out which heads I had. I feel a lot better now knowing that I got 210cc heads for 1000.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:32 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Suggest price same regardless 190 or 210 if both ProComp & both NON-cnc. I'd get some cash or azz if I paid for sugar but got salt ... and I'd never trust that one ever again on anything.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:23 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jackson
Suggest price same regardless 190 or 210 if both ProComp & both NON-cnc. I'd get some cash or azz if I paid for sugar but got salt ... and I'd never trust that one ever again on anything.
Even on ebay the cheapest assembled is 750.00 plus 60.00 shipping. I dont think it is so much his fault as it is that his supplier lied to him. They are trying to Pawn these heads off as Pro Topline cylinder heads owned by RHS. They even came in orange and black RHS colored boxes. I looked at his supply catalog and saw the head he ordered and it shows a 197cc Canfield Aluminum head. His supplier said they stopped using Canfields and now only sell RHS. He was more in shock and embarressed when I told him they were not RHS or Canfield.
I am really kind of screwed because I did not specify a name brand. I just told him if he could get me Aluminum SBC heads under 1000 I would get them.
Either way I think I still did all right, I got a fully assembled & installed Aluminum head with Roller springs for 1000. I could not have done that with any big name brand stuff. I will probably use them for another year and then after my rebuild warranty is up I will switch them with some Trick Flow or Dart aluminum heads. As then I will be able to afford a better head.

Last edited by King Lear; 01-16-2007 at 07:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help, cylinder head identification

Quick Reply: Help, cylinder head identification