C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everything You Need to Know to Install a T5 Ford Transmission!

Old 01-08-2007, 10:34 PM
adam
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bernie;

Any pictures of the shifter bracket ?

Durango - maybe you could let people know what kind of prices for the used components you could get?

Looking over the list of items, changing from a 4sp to the T5 would be
a few hundred cheaper...
Old 01-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by adam
Durango - maybe you could let people know what kind of prices for the used components you could get?

I can look up anything...I just need a year, make, and model.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:42 AM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a pic of the shifter adapter but I can't find it at the moment. I used a block of steel about 2 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches thick and drilled holes and threaded them to position the shifter where I wanted it. I had to notch and round the bottom to make it clear the top of the tranny. Not difficult, just tedious.
Bernie
Old 01-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Man you guys have been great. If I had a machine shop or knew someone with the tools I would make it right now while I have everyone's attention and help. Who knows how things will change by the time I actually start this project.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:14 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

The adapter plate is easy to drill, especially if you have a lathe that can be programmed with the locations of each hole. Even with an older lathe, once the center hole hase been marked, laying out the rest of the holes is easy. The problem with most is they think it is going to be something difficult and it really isn't; I'm proof that it is easy!
Bernie
Old 01-09-2007, 05:29 PM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BerniesVette
The adapter plate is easy to drill, especially if you have a lathe that can be programmed with the locations of each hole. Even with an older lathe, once the center hole hase been marked, laying out the rest of the holes is easy. The problem with most is they think it is going to be something difficult and it really isn't; I'm proof that it is easy!
Bernie
So easy " A caveman could do it" right Bernie?
That was really good.
Your write up was exceptional.

Richard
Old 01-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Bullyj
Burning Brakes

Bernie I'm right down the road from you in Rockwood I weld and fabricate. I won't say I'm a machinist but I can run an end mill and lathe. Also I can get the parts a few at a time so I don't have a big cash outlay at one time (exwife and current girfriend ended my big cash outlays ) I'm gonna save this on my harddrive for future reference but I may pester you some when I get the parts together.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:22 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Bullyj,
I would be glad to help when you get ready for this swap. Let me know when you are ready to get the T5 and I will take you to the salvage yard in the New Market area where I got mine. I have a list of T5 serial Numbers so you can pick the best one too. A friend of mine that works for Alcoa Aluminum in Alcoa, TN is supposed to be getting me some 1/2 inch aluminum. If I get more than I need you can have enough to make the adapter.
A friend of mine in Rockwood has a beautiful C3 triple black convertible. His name is Eddie. He installed a Keisler TKO in his vette and is pleased with it.
Like Richard from Keisler just said, it is so easy a caveman could do it! Just because I'm a caveman doesn't mean I'm mechanically challanged!
If you can budget for a TKO we can go to Keisler's plant and pick one up and save freight! You would love their facility! New and clean as a pin!
Bernie
Old 01-12-2007, 11:54 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
Guys if any of you actually get to the point of getting the T5 and making this plate we can go on from here.
Bernie or I can talk you through the rest of the mounting but most never get here.
I'm having two plates made as we speak....I hope it doesn't take too long. Ahhhhh it really doesn't matter 'cause I think I am still about $600.00 away from starting this job.
Second plate will be for the next Christmas givaway!!!!

Last edited by sly vette; 01-12-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:37 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Sly,
It will be the best $600.00 you will spend on your vert! Let me know if I can help in any way!
Bernie
Old 01-12-2007, 05:35 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BerniesVette
Sly,
It will be the best $600.00 you will spend on your vert! Let me know if I can help in any way!
Bernie
I'm sure it will be! And I can't wait!!! I'll let you know in this thread when I'm ready to continue.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:23 PM
coolerthanethan
Instructor

not to burst anyones bubles but from racing and owning mustang 5.0's for 7 years just to let you guys know stock T5's from mustangs can only handle about 200 ft lbs of torque and 225 HP. anything more and you'll see your self rebuilding them again and again as i did. just a heads up! and on a side note if you use a weaker clutch it will be the first thing to go and not your transmission =)
Old 01-12-2007, 09:04 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by coolerthanethan
not to burst anyones bubles but from racing and owning mustang 5.0's for 7 years just to let you guys know stock T5's from mustangs can only handle about 200 ft lbs of torque and 225 HP. anything more and you'll see your self rebuilding them again and again as i did. just a heads up! and on a side note if you use a weaker clutch it will be the first thing to go and not your transmission =)
This was talked about in length earlier in this post and the conclusion that was reached was that at 300 H.P. or less and no power shifting this trans should be more than adequate.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by coolerthanethan
Don't power shift and it won't blow up. Norval had one behind a BBC for a while, no problems.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:26 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
This is a the adapter plate. Later you trim the outside for looks
This is the rough plate and the location of the large hole
Do NOT NOT drill the upper right hand hole unless you are using a 94 or newer T5
Th plate is 1/2 inch thick

This is the addresses of some of the other holes. Center on the large hole and then go to these addresses and drill the mounting holes.
Norval,
What are the size of the bolt holes 3/8, and are only the two top ones countersunk?
Also, Did you just use loctite on the studs? And I imagine those are 3/8 also???
Thanks
Man I can't wait!!!
Old 01-14-2007, 11:59 AM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Sly,
The bolt holes are 7/16s not 3/8s. The top left hole is counter sunk. The top right hole in Norval's picture is to be used with a much later T5 that requires an additional spacer. If you are using a 95 or earlier T5 you don't drill the top right hole. It will interfere with the top right stud for the tranny. I used red loctite on the studs as well as the adapter bolts after I had the adapter centered. I know the question will be asked, will only three bolts holding the adapter to the bellhousing make it weaker. The answer is no; the only force being applied is the down pressure from the weight of the tranny and the bottom 2 bolts hold it just fine. Remember Norval ran his with 3 bolts and over 600 HP with no problems. The pics Norval is showing are for the adapter plate they made for Carguy4sure's T5 mod which was a very late model T5. The input shaft on those T5's are even longer so 2 plates were used. I hope this helps!
Bernie
Old 01-14-2007, 07:03 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

How does this look???
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Jaxley (12-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Everything You Need to Know to Install a T5 Ford Transmission!

Old 01-14-2007, 08:48 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Bump for Norval or Bernie.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sly vette
Bump for Norval or Bernie.

Hey, you've got 2 PMs, and I'll bumps this too.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:21 AM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

The plate looks good. I didn't check the deminsions but if they are correct you did good! Is it drilled yet? When it is we can walk you thru the process to mark it for the studs that attach to the tranny.
Bernie

PS
I was out driving my vette all weekend; sorry I missed the post!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Everything You Need to Know to Install a T5 Ford Transmission!