C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

straight poop on callaway body kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default straight poop on callaway body kit?

I unfortunately made a mistake - and i can't edit the tile - buttthe body kit is a greenwood - same questions
I have collaterally inherited a greenwood body kit for a C-4. We are building a car for bonneville - and the class we are aiming for requires the body be stock - and only fitted with "factory options".

Could you order the Callaway body from GM - or was it strictly aftermarket?

Carl Johansson

Last edited by Carl Johansson; 12-27-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Body kit was an option when you ordered the twin turbo L98. You should be fine.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:11 PM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Johansson
I have collaterally inherited a callaway body kit for a C-4. We are building a car for bonneville - and the class we are aiming for requires the body be stock - and only fitted with "factory options".

Carl Johansson
The aero body kit was optionally part of option B2K, which is the Twin turbo L98 plus other enhancements if desired. THe work is all done in house by Callaway, including add ons after initial delivery.

Whether a B2K C4 Vette is considered 'stock' by the timing association for Bonneville is something none of us know. Inquire or dig through the rule book. I would bet that the body kit on a standard car would NOT be considered stock. The B2K option car is probably in another class from the stock base C4.

Chances are the kit is of no use to you for your purpose. Adding it yourself will make the car non-stock, but certainly not a B2K Callaway car.

There was an Italian company that was making knock-off aero body kits. Callaway sued them and made them quit. Far as I know there was no other source for the body kit except to have the Callaway shop install one on a car at their shop. If this kit you have is the Italian knock-off you certainly can't use it. You would have neither a stock car nor a legit Callaway. I can't imagine tech letting this pass. Or bumping you to some insane modified class.

The real question is for the association, what class would you be thrown into for record purposes? Are you ready to build a 300 mph car?

Last edited by FELNGR8; 12-27-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Thanks for the info - I had to edit the post - wrong body kit. We are building for the GT class - records are between 220 - 240 depending on engine size (naturally aspirated) but the body has to be stock - accessories available from or through GM are considered part of the "stock" definition.

Carl Johansson
Old 12-27-2006, 03:43 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Johansson
I unfortunately made a mistake - and i can't edit the tile - buttthe body kit is a greenwood - same questions
I have collaterally inherited a greenwood body kit for a C-4. We are building a car for bonneville - and the class we are aiming for requires the body be stock - and only fitted with "factory options".

Carl Johansson

Judging bodies such as Bloomington Gold and the NCRS do not currently recognize the AeroBody when considering a car for its "rules."

The AeroBody was avail. from Callaway at the time of purchase, or after the fact - again, from Callaway.

Body kits like the Greenwood brand, or the many knockoffs, are not considered anything BUT aftermarket, period.

The closest you might ever come to using a bodykit, *MIGHT* be the GM parts dept's GTO kit.

I hope this helps
Old 12-27-2006, 03:54 PM
arandy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Carl,
I see you made it home. I hope all went well. Better yesterdays light rain than todays 40 mph winds.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:41 PM
mcv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FELNGR8
. . . The work is all done in house by Callaway, including add ons after initial delivery.

. . . Far as I know there was no other source for the body kit except to have the Callaway shop install one on a car at their shop.
The AeroBody Kit is still available from Callaway. We have kits in stock for non-ZR1 ($7300.) and for ZR1 C4 Corvettes ($7950.). They can be installed by any body shop that can work with fiberglass cars; they don't have to be installed by Callaway Cars.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Originally Posted by arandy
Carl,
I see you made it home. I hope all went well. Better yesterdays light rain than todays 40 mph winds.
Yup - Kind of a wild ride - rain and dark all the way I couldn't see what was going on on the trailer - so eventually I started the car and turned on the marker lights - made it so I could keep track of what was going on back there!

- But i made it - thanks for the help! BTW - not only am I stupid enough to take on this project - i just bought a motorcycle to run at a class record next summer - i guess I'll be alittle busy!
Carl "I did what?" Johansson
Old 12-28-2006, 05:39 PM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcv
The AeroBody Kit is still available from Callaway. We have kits in stock for non-ZR1 ($7300.) and for ZR1 C4 Corvettes ($7950.). They can be installed by any body shop that can work with fiberglass cars; they don't have to be installed by Callaway Cars.
Oh, I didn't know that. Has anyone bought a body kit for other than a B2K or SNAT? They do look far beter than the Greenwood kit, which to me looks almost 70s style.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:03 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by FELNGR8
Oh, I didn't know that. Has anyone bought a body kit for other than a B2K or SNAT? They do look far beter than the Greenwood kit, which to me looks almost 70s style.
Chuck, we have come across a few "AeroBody Corvettes" however, to get the Callaway Emblems, you have to have the "heart," in either B2K or SNAT forms

I know of a handful of L98 cars and saw an LT1 car last year for sale w/ just the AeroBody. Also, there are a couple of <<wide body>> ZR1's out there, w/ the handsome AeroBody wrapper.

The AeroBody does look timeless I drove the red one tonite, taking about 50 pics of the machine

Get notified of new replies

To straight poop on callaway body kit?

Quick Reply: straight poop on callaway body kit?