C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart lease or Smart buy

Old 11-15-2006, 09:36 AM
trebor007
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart lease or Smart buy

Has anyone used the smart buy or smart lease through chevy or should I stick with retail financing? I am interested purchasing a Z06 and trying to do my homework. What are the advantages and disadvantages any of the three. Any info, good or bad, would be appreciated.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:12 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

just retail.Smart lease/buy isn't so smart if you plan on keeping the car long term.Lots of charges for rental fees/depreciation,andin the long run you'll pay more in interest.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Seeker135
Pro

Originally Posted by jesse12804
just retail.Smart lease/buy isn't so smart if you plan on keeping the car long term.Lots of charges for rental fees/depreciation,andin the long run you'll pay more in interest.

I leased a new Silverado, Tahoe and 2 GMCs but would never do it again. I turned in the Silverado after just over 2 years because of high mileage and if you want to buy it out it costs a fortune. The only way it would be beneficial is if you could lease it under a business and write it off somehow.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:47 AM
vr6aaron
Pro

I did smart buy on my CTSv, its great. Matter of fact thats what i traded in to get my C6. You basically own the car but have the option to turn the car back in at the end of your term.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vr6aaron
I did smart buy on my CTSv, its great. Matter of fact thats what i traded in to get my C6. You basically own the car but have the option to turn the car back in at the end of your term.

There is so much anti-lease and SmartBuy out there....leasing works great for someone who wants a new car every 2-3 years and don't want to put money down and worry about selling it 2 years later or getting screwed on a trade. I did a SmartBuy back in 1994 when living in Michigan and it worked out great, but you cannot do a SmartBuy in Arizona so I lease.

I lease all my cars because 3 years later I want a new one! I use my GM employee discount...no money down...use the lease pull ahead in 30 months....and ask politely, "please give me the keys to my new car."

Different strokes for different folks....just another way of financing.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:32 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I did the Smartbuy on my C6. I did it for a 3-year plan, because the balloon payment at the end was like $28K and I knew the car would be worth at least that or more after 3 years anyways. You also have the option to sell it at any time with the Smartbuy, just like you purchased it. There is just a payoff, just like any purchased car.

These options are great for people that don't keep a car more than 2-3 years, and don't put a lot of miles on them. I wouldn't do it for a daily-driver, but for a garage queen Corvette it works out nicely.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:04 PM
shaan
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 17 Posts

i am the person who wants new car every 2-3 years as well, so thats why i leased my vette, at first i thought it was a bad idea, but after seeing the prices drop on the forum and how people were loosing thousands of dollars withing months of purschasing their vette, i am glad i leased it, sports cars and luxuary cars always drop their value "FAST"
Old 11-16-2006, 04:34 PM
vjones
Burning Brakes

Depends on what you do, some who are in sales can write off the lease payment. If you plan on holding on to the car, buy it.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shaan
i am the person who wants new car every 2-3 years as well, so thats why i leased my vette, at first i thought it was a bad idea, but after seeing the prices drop on the forum and how people were loosing thousands of dollars withing months of purschasing their vette, i am glad i leased it, sports cars and luxuary cars always drop their value "FAST"

Two scenarios:

A) Person leases a C6 with $7500 off (using forum dealer) final price is 45K their lease payment is $800 (including tax) after 3 years they turn in their car and get a new Vette with no trade in haggle .

B) Person buys C6 with $7500 off (using forum dealer) with a price of 45K now include the 8% sales tax now final price is $48.6K. Their finance payment is $962 (7% interest)......3 years later there is a bump in horsepower to 450hp ...now they want to trade...the dealer wants to screw them on their trade...4 hours later....they negotiate a deal that would clear their car. They are happy and now get into a new C6 with 450hp.

After it is all said and done....scenario B) paid $5472 more than the person who leased and they both drive off with a new car with 450hp .

Get notified of new replies

To Smart lease or Smart buy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smart lease or Smart buy