C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk about c6(not a z06) suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 03:09 AM
paulee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
I don't think I have ever witnessed anyone on this board so unwilling to admit that they are flat out wrong.

Save yourself some dignity man. Just this once admit that you don't know everything and quit with this facade of being the resident genius.

Originally Posted by shopdog
This lowly Georgia Tech grad and 40 year practicing engineer stands abashed.
they don't teach open mindness at that school i guess.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:25 AM
ilkhan
Burning Brakes

...Stiffen one end of the car and not the other, and the stiffer end will lose traction first.

In oversteer you have adhesion and traction with the front wheels but the rear wheels lose traction, in understeer there is adhesion/traction with the rear wheels, but the fronts lose traction and the tendancy is for the car to continue along a straight path. (push/plow)

Larger stiffer front bar and the front tires will lose traction first (push or understeer). Larger stiffer rear bar and the rears will lose traction first (loose/ rear wheel slide/ oversteer)
TRUTH /|\

Its not absolute. If you are setup for oversteer and slightly stiffen the front its not going to wildly plow all the time, but it will lose some of the tendency to lose the tail.

Get quality instruction, then a quality alignment, THEN think about adjusting the bars and suspension.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

This discussion, or variants of it have shown up here before. Stiffen one end of the car and not the other, and the stiffer end will lose traction first.

In oversteer you have adhesion and traction with the front wheels but the rear wheels lose traction, in understeer there is adhesion/traction with the rear wheels, but the fronts lose traction and the tendancy is for the car to continue along a straight path. (push/plow)

Larger stiffer front bar and the front tires will lose traction first (push or understeer). Larger stiffer rear bar and the rears will lose traction first (loose/ rear wheel slide/ oversteer)

Its the exact opposite.

But to the original poster, I agree wholeheartedly with C6400hp. You put those Z06 rear swaybars on that car and your oversteer problem is going to get worse.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1445622

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...88&postcount=8

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1386185

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1256080

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1262446

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...5&postcount=25

Great post.

and if I may add

Unfortunately, we sometimes all get caught up in the hype of advertising. Upgrade your base suspension and etc. By now you would think that most of us should know there is absoutely NO FREE LUNCH. Modify something and you change something else. Sometimes members only want to listen to what they want to hear.

BTW: This thread should remind us all that even though we may be very knowledgable. None of us knows it all....... we all make mistakes because we are all human
Old 08-28-2006, 02:57 AM
vette6500
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is my opinion that you CAN gain more grip on the larger bar/stiffer spring end, but it will require matching gain of stickier tires.

A stiffer end with stickier tires will probably generate more grip than a softer end with the same stickier tires. I believe a suspension/stiffness is designed around the tires it will be wearing. Thus a race car is designed very stiff to be able to use the full traction of the race tires.

Thus a stiffer Z51 suspension+Z51 tires should grip better than a base suspension+Z51 tires or a Z51 suspension+base tires.
The actual differences in this example may not be much, but looking at the extremes of a sticky race car tire, a softer suspension will simply be overwhelmed and bottom out, causing higher CG+infinite stiffness and either try to flip that end over or start sliding to prevent flipping.

I will give shopdog a lifeline on this and say, assuming you are going with upgraded grippier tires all around, a matching stiffer end may provide more traction than the softer end originally designed for less grippy tires. I think he left out the part about the Z06 tires that is assumed to accompany the Z06 suspension upgrades.
Otherwise, I must agree with the consensus that if the baseline tires matched to the baseline suspension is not touched and just one end is made stiffer, that end will slide first.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:00 AM
reddevl
Pro

thanks a lot

right know i am running bridgestone potenzas 305/30/19 in the rear. after reading some reviews these are really good tires.

i think potenzars are definetly better than the runflats which i am sure off as the handling is more predictle on a car with (410 rwhp)and cheaper as i bought them all 4(fronts are 245/40/18) for 900 bucks.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Blocktrdr
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 300cawd
thanks a lot

right know i am running bridgestone potenzas 305/30/19 in the rear. after reading some reviews these are really good tires.

i think potenzars are definetly better than the runflats which i am sure off as the handling is more predictle on a car with (410 rwhp)and cheaper as i bought them all 4(fronts are 245/40/18) for 900 bucks.
RE 050's? There is your problem. They have great cold grip but one they heat up they lose it. They are not good track tires. I destroyed a set in one day. If you are going to keep looking for solutions, you need to go to the Autocross/Roadrace section--click me of the forum where you will get some proper advice. Most of the responders here will have street experience. There you will get real track experience.

P.S. with those sizes you should be getting pretty bad understeer. I will say again as I did earlier that turn in understeer is the cause of the problem. You are overturning the wheel.

Last edited by Blocktrdr; 08-28-2006 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Lets talk about c6(not a z06) suspension