C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resetting Theft Deterrent system with "hot" reset technique (pulling fuse w/ key ON)

Old 04-17-2006, 01:39 AM
NVR BRNG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resetting Theft Deterrent system with "hot" reset technique (pulling fuse w/ key ON)

Just got my car out of the shop yesterday after hi-po clutch & 3.90s.

It started up fine yesterday, but today it would not start. The motor turns over and wants to start but it's as if there's no fuel / ignition.

I suspected the theft deterrent system somehow got triggered, so I tried all the usual fixes, but still the motor won't start.

Can the theft deterrent system be reset using the "hot" reset technique: turning key ON, and removing / replacing the appropriate fuse?

I checked the owners manual and can't ID the correct fuse for the theft deterrent system, and a friend said to avoid doing a "hot" reset.

Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:21 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR BRNG
Just got my car out of the shop yesterday after hi-po clutch & 3.90s.

It started up fine yesterday, but today it would not start. The motor turns over and wants to start but it's as if there's no fuel / ignition.

I suspected the theft deterrent system somehow got triggered, so I tried all the usual fixes, but still the motor won't start.

Can the theft deterrent system be reset using the "hot" reset technique: turning key ON, and removing / replacing the appropriate fuse?

I checked the owners manual and can't ID the correct fuse for the theft deterrent system, and a friend said to avoid doing a "hot" reset.

Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks.
The theft deterrent system kills the starter, ignition and fuel. So if the starter is turning the motor over it isn't a theft deterrent problem. As far as I know there is no way to override the system. It wouldn't be much of a system (and it is one of the best on the market) if you could override it.

Bill
Old 04-17-2006, 02:32 AM
NVR BRNG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The theft deterrent system kills the starter, ignition and fuel. So if the starter is turning the motor over it isn't a theft deterrent problem. As far as I know there is no way to override the system. It wouldn't be much of a system (and it is one of the best on the market) if you could override it.

Bill
Ok, thanks. I've got no codes, the starter turns over the engine and it sounds like it wants to start, then it immediately dies.

I have an Exide Orbital battery that is at full charge.

I can hear what sounds like the fuel pump priming when I turn the key to the ON position.

What else can I check to troubleshoot this Turn-Over / No-Start problem?

Get notified of new replies

To Resetting Theft Deterrent system with "hot" reset technique (pulling fuse w/ key ON)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Resetting Theft Deterrent system with "hot" reset technique (pulling fuse w/ key ON)