Sponsored by:

VIN Tag rivets

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default VIN Tag rivets

Can someone tell me if the rosette shaped vin tag rivets are black, or natural stainless steel circa 1972?

If anyone has a picture of the rivet or there VIN tag, that would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:35 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Natural Aluminum is what I recall seeing ... might be stainless.

You judge for yourself. This is my 75 VIN. Note that the original color was bright yellow.
It looks like the VIN plate was painted at the factory, but the rivets look remarkably clean.

Hmmm ... did my 75 have an 'attached' VIN tag? I'll have to check the frame stampings.

Sorry - but my '70 VIN tag has already been hit with the wire brush.
I don't think I have any pics of it before.

Last edited by NHvette; 02-10-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:58 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey, I checked the ones I have and a magnet sticks to them. Check you messages. Peace,,,Moosie
Old 02-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Low powered magnet and touch em. Since the frame is steel, a high powered one would stick to them regardless, if they're still on the frame. If they're not attached, just use any magnet and see if they stick.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the info guys, especially the pic. That's what I needed to know. I took a pic of mine prior to starting my current project but I can't find it now.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:56 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

A - The center pin is almost always mild steel on pop rivets ... might attract the magnet.
B - How does a magnet tell if they are painted black or natural ?
It might answer (aluminum or not).
Funny - noone wants to show their vin number it seems.
The one I show might be for sale ... the piece of windshield
frame that is ... with clean title.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Well he said black or natural stainless... I assume if they're black they're regular steel, if they're natural, stainless. If they're black with the paint all scratched off, they'll stick to a magnet.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:13 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

OK - assumption understood. Sorry.
I assumed he was just looking for the finish - not composition.

... vin tag still for sale at the right price
Why anyone would want it is beyond me ...

Monty ... I thought you picked up a 74 a while back (maybe orange).
Was it the 72 and I am losing it ?

Last edited by NHvette; 02-10-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

It is a 72, and is/was hugger orange..

I assumed they were stainless, but they could be aluminum or mild steel. You know what they say about assumptions I don't know. From memory, I thought they were natural, but I found some that were black. I doubt they are mild steel as the originals were not rusted at all, so I assumed they were aluminum or stainless.

I can understand the reluctance to show a VIN, but it's not like anyone walking past your car can't see anyway. In any event, all I needed was a pic of the rivet and I appreciate NHVette for posting his. I know the whole VIN rivet thing is controversial and I don't even want to go there. I'm just trying to fix a rusty windshield frame on a car that I own with a clean/clear title. I just needed to know which is correct so I can get the right one. Thanks for the help.

The funny thing about all this is that theoretically, you could build an entire car around a VIN tag.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Monty
It is a 72, and is/was hugger orange..

I assumed they were stainless, but they could be aluminum or mild steel. You know what they say about assumptions I don't know. From memory, I thought they were natural, but I found some that were black. I doubt they are mild steel as the originals were not rusted at all, so I assumed they were aluminum or stainless.

I can understand the reluctance to show a VIN, but it's not like anyone walking past your car can't see anyway. In any event, all I needed was a pic of the rivet and I appreciate NHVette for posting his. I know the whole VIN rivet thing is controversial and I don't even want to go there. I'm just trying to fix a rusty windshield frame on a car that I own with a clean/clear title. I just needed to know which is correct so I can get the right one. Thanks for the help.

The funny thing about all this is that theoretically, you could build an entire car around a VIN tag.

Funny you bring that up. One of the things some guys are doing to get around emissions is getting a vehicle from the pre-smog era and cutting the piece of frame that has the vin on it and building a tube frame, with that one piece there. They then do whatever they want and make the vehicle however they want, without having to smog it. Lots of work, but technically it's legal.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:51 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Yes unique rivets.

.. I doubt they are mild steel as the originals were not rusted at all, so I assumed they were aluminum or stainless.
.. I know the whole VIN rivet thing is controversial and I don't even want to go there.....
As i recall those rivets are special and not availible over the counter. Auto manufactures use only. To prevent theft and fraud.

U may be forced to do some explaining some day wether u want to or not Monty. Probaly only an issue if someone challanges the car as stolen.

cardo0
Old 02-10-2006, 10:09 PM
VETTEVIC
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you can prove ownership and get a registration or title issued in some states with just a photo of the VIN tag. Anyhow, the rivets are aluminum or stainless depending on the year. Mine are alum and its a 76. They are usually plain or natural but if the glass has ever been replaced they are usually painted during replacement. If you have not removed it yet, do this... Punch out the pin and gently pry it off the pillar post. Usually this will not destroy the rivet too bad and you can put a new pin in it and straighten it out enough to go back in the hole and re-clamp it with a rivet gun. This is how I have always done it on all my cars that needed them out of the way for a while for resto or repairs.
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cardo0
As i recall those rivets are special and not availible over the counter. Auto manufactures use only. To prevent theft and fraud.

U may be forced to do some explaining some day wether u want to or not Monty. Probaly only an issue if someone challanges the car as stolen.

cardo0
A 1 minute search on the internet will net you several vendors for these "special", "not available" rosette rivets, all you need to know is which one's you need. Heck, you can find them in Hemming's. Like I said, I'm not trying to start a debate over this, I just couldn't remember whether they were black or natural finish - I can get either one easily.

Don't forget, the VIN is stamped on our frames too, as long as they match and with the correct rivets it's a non-issue.

Which would you rather have, a restored Corvette with a rusted windshield frame with the original VIN tag RIVETS, or a restored Corvette with a brand new, rust free windshield frame but with rivets identical and indestinguishable to the originals? They're rivets.

Last edited by Monty; 02-10-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:02 AM
VETTEVIC
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which would you rather have, a restored Corvette with a rusted windshield frame with the original VIN tag RIVETS, or a restored Corvette with a brand new, rust free windshield frame but with rivets identical and indestinguishable to the originals? They're rivets.
Good point, obviously only one choice IMO.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:04 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it better match the vin stamped on the frame or you might have some explaining to do
Old 02-12-2006, 12:19 AM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gator79
it better match the vin stamped on the frame or you might have some explaining to do
Where is the VIN on a Corvette frame and how long will it take a DMV clerk to find it?

Probably a non-issue with our cars.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:48 AM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TonySinclair
Where is the VIN on a Corvette frame and how long will it take a DMV clerk to find it?

Probably a non-issue with our cars.

on the top of the frame by the #4 drivers side body mount, you will need a mirror to see it, also mine was stamped a second time about a foot in front of the #3 mount on the drivers side. you should be able to find it in about 20 mins. it should take a DMV clerk about 4 days we all know how fast they work

Get notified of new replies

To VIN Tag rivets

Old 11-28-2012, 11:31 PM
vette6473
Cruising

Be careful friend...just because they are on the web doesn't make them legal to be sold/bought. The gentlemen who spoke earlier is actually correct. The rosette rivets are manufactured for auto industry use only to legally affix factory-installed VIN tags.

Here's a sample story regarding law enforcement investigations on these rivets that may help.

http://chevellestuff.net/misc/images/vin_rivets.jpg

I'm restoring my 73 windshield posts as well but we have to settle for normal rivets of the same size to be legal. It is a legal practice to remove to replace the rotten posts as needed since there's no choice.

Good luck with yours and hope this helps!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:55 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by vette6473
Be careful friend...just because they are on the web doesn't make them legal to be sold/bought. The gentlemen who spoke earlier is actually correct. The rosette rivets are manufactured for auto industry use only to legally affix factory-installed VIN tags.

That may be true but I think the OP will be fine as the statute of limitations has probably expired given this post is more than six years old.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:12 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,326 Likes on 2,774 Posts

Originally Posted by vette6473

Here's a sample story regarding law enforcement investigations on these rivets that may help.

http://chevellestuff.net/misc/images/vin_rivets.jpg

I'm restoring my 73 windshield posts as well but we have to settle for normal rivets of the same size to be legal. It is a legal practice to remove to replace the rotten posts as needed since there's no choice.

Please don't dig up 6 year old threads. Start a new one.

Quick Reply: VIN Tag rivets