C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reading lights wont go off.....

Old 05-26-2012, 03:55 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by BlueOx
In my experience, if set correctly, all the interior lights should fade out in about 20 seconds or less after closing the door.
That's how it is designed to work.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:24 PM
willie2323
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
All the lights are designed to go out after 20 minutes or so. So, you may have the same problem next time. The rear view mirror light switch is backwards, for me at least. On = out and off = in. That plus the dimmer switch thing makes it hard to get the right combination at times.
that is exactly right, the mirror light switches are backwards intuitively, push them in to have them turn off...sheesh chevy
Old 05-27-2012, 03:59 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default O'Ring

Originally Posted by vettenlady
Well, after waiting quit a while, they finally went out.
As I stated above, I did push it in and out several times and it seemed to have not dimmed any lights at all. I did what the manual said to do. So anyway, fiddling around with it must have worked. Strange.
But thanks again, my Corvette family. I can always count on support from you....
Do what I do, put a thick, tight O'ring on the push switch, I hold the **** out and work the O'ring on all around. This solved the problem.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:36 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a different problem. when I leave the car all the lights goes off except for the reading lights under the mirror. they go dimmer but not off. I didnt notice that with the stock blubs but I did when I put those LEDs. I waited about 5min and they didnt go completely off. I didnt check after that. is that normal??? I keep forgetting to check them. but I will when I get my car back next week
Old 05-27-2012, 04:50 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim McK
I just bought a new Grand Sport and I have the same issue. The courtesy lights will go out when you lock the car and go away but they will not go out while you are driving. Pushing in the switch for the interior lights makes no difference. It's becoming a real aggrivation to have the reading lights on all the time you are driving.

Any other suggestions beside going to the dealership?
I'm betting that the switches are in the "on" position. They should be in. In = off, out = on.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:41 PM
The Director
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I'm betting that the switches are in the "on" position. They should be in. In = off, out = on.
That's EXACTLY what the problem was, in addition to getting the combination if the dimmer switch position and the reading lights position correct at the same time.

Gotta be one of the stupidest design ideas I've ever seen in a Corvette.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by JimTN
No, you actually should have pushed it in one time and released it. The map lights will not go out as soon as you push and release it. You've got to wait until you get out and shut the doors. Then, if/when the car locks, the map lights should start to fade and go out in a few seconds.

Pushing (and releasing) that button one time turns on all interior lights. Pushing (and releasing) again turns off all interior lights, but map lights don't go out immediately.

You had previously pushed and released it once when you were detailing the inside of the car, but didn't realize it. Nearly all of us have done that sooner or later without realizing it.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by walhan_qtr
I have a different problem. when I leave the car all the lights goes off except for the reading lights under the mirror. they go dimmer but not off. I didnt notice that with the stock blubs but I did when I put those LEDs. I waited about 5min and they didnt go completely off. I didnt check after that. is that normal??? I keep forgetting to check them. but I will when I get my car back next week
It is normal. I have had my LEDs for years. They just stay dim. Dont worry about it. Will not drain the battery. I have gone 2 weeks without driving my vette.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:43 AM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildmanht
It is normal. I have had my LEDs for years. They just stay dim. Dont worry about it. Will not drain the battery. I have gone 2 weeks without driving my vette.
Great thanks for that. I wasnt really that worried about it but thought I will check on... glad to know its normal..... now need to worry about something else haha....

Thanks again
Old 05-28-2012, 07:50 AM
vette'n
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem for a bit too on 08. I ended up pulling the plug from the back of the rear mirror. Then one day it just quit. wierd
Old 07-10-2014, 12:24 AM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

Most useful thread of the day award
Old 07-10-2014, 01:12 AM
fred D
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Just after I bought my 08 C6 conv. I had a problem with the trunk popping open. Then it was climb out, close it and get back in. The problen was the old knee aginst the trunk sw.
It is near that light sw.on the left lower concel.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:54 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by fred D
Just after I bought my 08 C6 conv. I had a problem with the trunk popping open. Then it was climb out, close it and get back in. The problen was the old knee aginst the trunk sw.
It is near that light sw.on the left lower concel.
Surprised no one mentioned one of the doors being.....AJAR. I had the interior light stay in and tried everything. Pushed the little knee **** on and off after reading the manual and pushing the mirrors buttons in and out. Finally figured out the passenger door was not completely shut.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:53 AM
K7MXE
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This is kinda funny as the same thing happened to me. Took me a while to figure it out and second time I did it was a slam dunk. Now if I could remember not to have crap in my pocket with the fob then my trunk open light would not come on going down the road. One day it happened as I was almost home and I figured I would reset the trunk when I got home but stopped by a road construction flag man he let me know my trunk was open and I felt dumb just thanking him and driving on.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:30 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by oregonsharkman
Most useful thread of the day award
2 years ago maybe
Old 07-11-2014, 07:43 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
2 years ago maybe
Hey, some people here (most) can't be bothered with reading all the information presented. Skimming should be good enough to launch an opinion.

And Oregon has been around for almost 10 years???
Old 07-11-2014, 09:00 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

amazing things on this forum, and good people. couldn t get my map lights to go off, did a search and B I N G O. obviously i must have hit the button inadvertently. lots of usefull info here.. thanks for this tidbit.

Get notified of new replies

To Reading lights wont go off.....

Old 07-11-2014, 09:03 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
2 years ago maybe
and then there are people that know everything and have no problems, or ask for advice. wonder why is here and just driving a Corvette.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:55 PM
lerostand
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reading lights stay on

Here it is 3yrs later - same problem and same solution for my 2013 vet
Old 07-16-2015, 02:59 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by lerostand
Here it is 3yrs later - same problem and same solution for my 2013 vet
So you had to bump a year old thread to tell us about it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reading lights wont go off.....