C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Battery In C5

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 11:53 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

unless optima has gotten better since last year when I worked at a battery company, I wouldn't put a pos optima in anything, including my worst enemies car....my experience and 2 cents, I have run gp 75 without issue but will switch to 78 next time for more rc.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Ron222
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bluvette79
just make sure the connections are tight. if it is not in a daily driver, you might consider a battery tender to keep the charge up. optimas do not like getting discharged. if you are a little short on $ as i usually am, you might read some "battery replacement" threads after you do a search. i put an autozone gold in mine and it is just doing fine. i also use a battery tender.
I did exactly the same thing. Also keep a tender on it since it's not a DD. My advice, drive down to Autozone, buy the battery, have them install it for free. (The Guys by me are/were really careful) They'll plug into the port under your dash to maintain all the settings while removing your old battery and installing the new one. Say Thanks, Tip him and drive home. That's what I did...No Problems.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Bear4877
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron222
I did exactly the same thing. Also keep a tender on it since it's not a DD. My advice, drive down to Autozone, buy the battery, have them install it for free. (The Guys by me are/were really careful) They'll plug into the port under your dash to maintain all the settings while removing your old battery and installing the new one. Say Thanks, Tip him and drive home. That's what I did...No Problems.
Thanks to everyone for the great feedback. I really appreciate it. Battery selection this weekend. I do keep mine on a Battery Tender when stored for the 'no drives planned' periods. As this is the original OEM battery I'm replacing (AC Delco 6 yr) I'd have to say the BT works pretty well, 10 years on a 6 year battery). All the best and enjoy a safe holiday. :-)
The Bear.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by norcalace
Have the same Optima in my pickup going on 11 years. Optima in the Vette going on 5 years. Go figure.
I bought my Optima at Sam's Club. It died within a year. I took it back to Sam's and they had stopped selling them. Told me there was nothing they could do. I called Optima, they said Sam's should refund my money. Went back to Sam's, got my money back, bought the best battery they had that would fit and still had $90 left over. I always lift my hood when I get home, just to let the heat out. I keep a close eye on the battery for leaks. I have never had a battery leak in any vehicle I have ever had. No more Optima for me. I usually get 5 to 7 years out of a regular car battery, my mazda went 10 with the original battery. Too each their own, but I will stick with what has served me well.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:44 PM
123Gone
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ron222
(The Guys by me are/were really careful) They'll plug into the port under your dash to maintain all the settings while removing your old battery and installing the new one.
You can buy a car computer memory saver at an auto store or Amazon for less than $10. Snap on a 9v battery and plug it into the cigarette lighter and you're good to go.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:35 PM
bence
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Optima replacement

Originally Posted by whiteboy
The Optima's respond, hold up better if kept fully charged. They don't like sitting around , as in a non daily driver. I didn't have good results with a red top. Three years and it was shot. AC Delco in the 98 Pace Car lasted 7 years. I am now running the Sears 7 year 78, with 5 years free replacement. No more Optimas for me.
I agree. Bought an Optima RED78 little over 3 years ago for my C5, which unfortunately I only drive about once a month. It needed to be charged several times in the past. I put a trickle charger on it a year ago, but forgot to hook it up again a month ago. Now it will not hold enough of a charge to start the car. May just byte the bullet and not pro-rate it, rather buy another brand that will do better with infrequent driving.

Any recommendations on the best battery for an infrequent driver?
Old 11-05-2014, 09:57 PM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Being that your vette is an 04, it takes the group 86 top only mount battery. This is the only year that takes them.

Quick Reply: Replacing Battery In C5