C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Headers Dont fit!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 01:41 PM
DunskisC3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Hookers slipped on without any issues. Someone mentioned every C3 can be a bit different. Guess I was lucky. Selling them on ebay may be great for the next guy who's C3 is within the spec of the headers design.
Good luck!!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:19 PM
bodyguy
2nd Gear

Default hooker headers

quite a few years ago my brothers buddy had a 76 vette and had these pipe on it. it had the best sound that i can remember.... now i have a 79 i am working on and on my list is these pipes... looks good and sounds good, now i am scared about the fit....
Old 04-14-2013, 10:04 PM
bahamax@yahoo.com
5th Gear

Default Hooker Headers that dont fit

If you read Hookers Instruction Papers that come with the side headers you will see that it says "They Fit Fine As Long As YOU DONT USE ANY AFTER MARKET PARTS. As you did with that nice hydraulic assisted z bar set up with a bolt that is not on the chevy stock set up but a pin. Turn the locking nut around and or use a flush head pin w a cotter key. Also the guy with the header hitting the frame. Change to better motor mounts !

Corvettes Limited

Originally Posted by Dustup7T2
I was unaware that Hooker had relocated their manufacturing to meh-hee-ko? Seems that when long time Mfgrs move the operation, there are problems and issues crop up that did not exist before. Too bad.

I recvd my Hooker sidemounts back in '06. I have Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. Installed new OEM style motor and trans mounts to have the height dimensions correct, with no idea whether the body position over the frame was in or out of spec? I suppose, it's in.

Another issue I had to consider was the Steeroids. Anything else, didn't have an influence to fitment.

In the end, it all came out as expected without bringing out the BFH to clearance around an obstacle.

To the OP, good luck and hope Hooker fixes you up without further delay. Keep us posted.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:34 PM
vettestu
Instructor

the guy who sold my '80 ('69 Camaro block with stock fuelie heads) to me always wanted to put on headers and sides . this is a budget build so I opted for a cheapo set of Patriots side pipes and Summit's headers $300 for all. even with the collector position and feed pipes to side pipe mufflers we had very little problems with the side pipes and none with those $199 headers. All of it was Hecho in Mexico. go figure.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:31 PM
blkhrt12
Heel & Toe

Hello all! Well I posted an updated pic WITH the stainless hookers.. We got them to fit late last summer. Hooker was very cooperative with us and they fit pretty good... It was tight but nothing was touching and had good clearance. I was going to post a pic in this message but can't for the life of me figure out how to post a pic in a message... LOL So I changed my profile pic to show the hookers.. Its almost time to ride CANT WAIT
Old 04-15-2013, 01:53 PM
blkhrt12
Heel & Toe

Default Here they are

Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by blkhrt12
Hey everyone,
I would never sell something I knew was defective! Especially with all we have been through with these headers. This is such a pain in the .... We once had a defective boat (yes a defective boat, the stringers let go) and we were trading it in for a new boat. We got a decent trade in, but could not live with the guilt of not informing the boat dealers that there was something seriously wrong with it. So we went back and told em, YUP we got a crappy trade in but left with a clear conscience. Hooker is in the process of sending me a tag so I can return the drivers side and they are going to replace. I hope this goes well I would like to post pics after we FINALLY get these installed but I cant seem to figure out how to post on here... I will work on it! Oh and before I would sell em, I would have sent em back to Summitt for a refund and ordered another brand. No worries of me selling anything defective, I am way too honest for that! Thank you all for your input, if I have issues with my new set you bet I will be posting on "how to bang the crap out of em without causing too much damage"
Thanks again!!!
Stacey
Nice to know there are a few other honest people around. You have my respect.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:47 PM
vetteaddic
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hooker been making headers over Mexico for 40 yrs.or more
Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Hub454
Advanced

So I am almost to the point of no using Hooker headers but have to ask has anyone used the coated headers made to hook up to factory side pipes. Hedman Street Hedders 68210
Old 04-18-2013, 12:10 AM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bahamax@yahoo.com
If you read Hookers Instruction Papers that come with the side headers you will see that it says "They Fit Fine As Long As YOU DONT USE ANY AFTER MARKET PARTS. As you did with that nice hydraulic assisted z bar set up with a bolt that is not on the chevy stock set up but a pin. Turn the locking nut around and or use a flush head pin w a cotter key.

Corvettes Limited
Thanks for the observations. Not sure how you identified a hydraulic assisted clutch linkage? The picture clearly shows that it's all mechanical (Steeroids kit, btw). No interference with the primary tube either.

Thanks for your valued help though. I know that I wouldn't have succeeded the header installation without your well-trained eye to point out your perceived fabrications.

Congratulations on your very first post in the CF too...
Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 AM
7dSHARK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"You can always try unloading the Hookers on fleabay to some poor, unsuspecting bastard" You sound like a crook.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 PM
bahamax@yahoo.com
5th Gear

Default Hooker side headers do not fit 75 corvette drivers side

Summit Racing Is the Place too Buy. They took care of my warranty problem, No Problem, No Brow Beating, Go Summit

Last edited by bahamax@yahoo.com; 05-02-2013 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Miss Quoted
Old 05-01-2013, 04:33 PM
vetteman1976
Advanced

blkhrt,
Send me a pm, I have a brand new set stainless steel headers that will fit.. I bolted them on and took them back off when the rest of the exhaust didn't work..So I have new headers and complete new exhaust for factory headers back w/ hidden mufflers new in an unopened box from corvette central if you prefer.. I'll work with you on the price..Its frustrating I know..
Im with clubby bought the stainless side pipe obx and classic chambered exhaust baffles and its sounds bitchin' and fit great..
J
Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 PM
jackwabbit703
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blkhrt12
Can anyone help??? Suggestions PLEASE!!! Just received our second set of Hooker Headers (stainless) for a side mount system on our c3 Corvette. After calling Hooker the first time around because the drivers side did not clear the frame, they told us the "jig" must have screwed up to send back to the company we bought them from... So we did (after paying 120.00 shipping) we just received our 2nd set from a diff company too, well same thing, they do NOT clear the frame nor do they clear the steering box and they are up tight against the pitman arm.. WTF Hooker!!!!! We are beside ourselves thinking we have to bang the hell out of our 1100.00 headers. REALLY??? I know from googling - this has happened but I never hear the "how to resolve" part of this. We are stuck, cannot send back the side pipes (after 90day return policy) and not sure if other headers like Dougs will fit our car as well as match up with the already purchased Hooker side pipes... Please help, any suggestions are appreciated. Even if you tell me we need to destroy our headers to make this work. Not saying we want to do that . (LAST RESORT)
F R U S T R A T E D in MAINE...
Thanks
Stacey
I have hooker headers on my 74 and was a BIT#$ to get the darn thing to fit but it fits. There's a point where you have to force a little. It's a very very ultra almost rubbing TIGHT fit especially at the steering box. Number 1 cylinder header is virtually touching the steering box.

It's been 4 years since headers where installed and I have no problem any metal to metal rubbing noise or dents on headers etc. Also, sound it creates with my motor is priceless once it's installed.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:02 PM
snide
Team Owner

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by vetteman1976
blkhrt,
Send me a pm, I have a brand new set stainless steel headers that will fit.. I bolted them on and took them back off when the rest of the exhaust didn't work..So I have new headers and complete new exhaust for factory headers back w/ hidden mufflers new in an unopened box from corvette central if you prefer.. I'll work with you on the price..Its frustrating I know..
Im with clubby bought the stainless side pipe obx and classic chambered exhaust baffles and its sounds bitchin' and fit great..
J
You should have read the entire thread before posting. OP posted a pic with the headers installed.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:31 AM
bahamax@yahoo.com
5th Gear

Default Service after the Sale

Summit Racing has unbelievable Service...........Especially when it has to do with Headers that are not quite right. Still under warranty, no problemo. They are even sending me one side as the other fit well.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:50 AM
bahamax@yahoo.com
5th Gear

Default How to Tweak Hooker Side Pipe Driver Side Header Without Beating it into Submission

Hey, I just went through it. I installed a set a stainless side pipe Hookers just like your on my 75 4 speed small block. Same thing. I wound up grinding off a bit of my lower steering box as well as trimmed the knuckle arm with my rotary grinder. After all of that the bastard still just barely touching . I wound up getting 2 stainless clamp and putting them around # 1 and I believe 3 ? The adjacent header pipe (under the car where they pass to the side pipe and they are all flat, side by side. I cinched up the clamps a bit and low and behold . No more touching ! You can actually watch the gap open up between the steering box and the # header pipe as you tighten the clamps. I did one clamp , then the other as backup. There should be no ill effects from doing this. You do not want any of those pipes touching anything. It will melt your steering box if you are idling around. The grease inside will boil and blow out your seals. . You could try it without removing the header and grinding off the box and knuckle arm first. I did not have to tighten the clamps a whole hell of a lot to accomplish this. I actually do have pictures of it all but cant figure out how to post. E Mail me. I will send them to you. Also Summit Racing has agreed to send me a new drivers side header. I'm not sure if I want to F with it again. I also owned a Corvette resto Shop in Fort Lauderdale for years . These Headers in the 70s fit perfect. I did many sets. These Hookers have a 90 day waranty. Whoever you purchased from can replace it.
Fred
ateamyachts@gmail.com

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker Headers Dont fit!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Chambered
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

About 12 years ago when I worked for Dynomax, I was the "header fit problem" guy. Let me tell you, it was frustrating. We had headers with legit fit & design problems, but strangely enough we did not hear from every customer with fit problems, though it seemed we should have! In a meeting one month, I finally asked the engineers WHY we kept documenting these fit problems IF we were not going to fix them! The guy who was responsible for the design (or redesign) of the headers was pissed at me for forcing Dynomax to start actually FIXING the fit problems! WTF! We were only documenting these fit problems for YEARS before they decided to engage & get in the dogfight. The mentality revealed that day was disgusting. Where's the American spirit?
Old 10-16-2019, 09:27 AM
Darlas81
Advanced

Now, THIS is the look I'm going for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't like the "burnt" look I see on some pipes at the collector, and since I'm going with a different color, I need some chrom to make this car pop. Nice looking whip.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:38 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Six year old thread, Darla.

Quick Reply: Hooker Headers Dont fit!!!!!!