C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

one or six CD changer in 2012 3LT corvette?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:40 AM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default one or six CD changer in 2012 3LT corvette?

Hi... I think this is likely a pretty dumb question but I need to ask it anyway... I recently bought a new 2012 Grand Sport Convertible with the 3LT trim package. I've read both the main car manual and the Nav manual which also talks about the music center... Though I'm sure I'm missing it, I can't seem to find where it clearly states whether the CD changer is a single CD unit or if it holds six CDs????? Can someone share with me which it is before I try to install a second CD (already have one in) and something bad happens???

So is the CD changer in a 3LT trim package 2012 Grand Sport a ONE or a SIX CD unit??? thanks.... bob...
Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 AM
lil red vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the six cd system in my '08 with the 3LT package. If you have NAV with the screen then you only have the one CD changer, if not it should be the six. Since you have one in, push the load button and see if it tells you to load #2 or ejects the one in there.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 AM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the answer for 2012 is one. I went to the Chevrolet.com site and in a chat they are telling me while it does not say for sure, they think its a single CD also...
Old 04-28-2012, 10:11 AM
caroutisine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2011 3LT with the 6 disc changer. The 6 disc was listed as a seperate $395.00 option on the window sticker. So I would say the 3LT comes with the single unit. The 6 disc is an add on. Check your window sticker.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:29 AM
2012CGS
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2012 GS 3LT. It is the single disc CD. But the real trick is to get yourself a $20 thumb drive and put 20-50 CDs on it and never have to lug aournd all of those CDs. Having grown up in the 8 track/cassette era, I think this is really Kool!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:33 AM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by caroutisine
I have a 2011 3LT with the 6 disc changer. The 6 disc was listed as a seperate $395.00 option on the window sticker. So I would say the 3LT comes with the single unit. The 6 disc is an add on. Check your window sticker.
Hmmm... I just did two things... First, I did as you suggested and checked my window sticker... Under INTERIOR all it says is

AM/FM STEREO WITH CD PLAYER AND INPUT JACK
AUDIO SYSTEM, 7 SPEAKER

and then on the right side of the window sticker where it lists prices, under 3LT PREFERRED EQUIPMENT GRP, one line under that heading says,

DVD NAVIGATION SYSTEM W/AM/FM CD PLAYER
BOSE PREMIUM AUDIO 9 SPEAKERS

So when you go to the 3LT upgrade, it adds a couple of speakers but otherwise it says nothing regarding the CD Players...

Then I went onto the Chevy.com Build Your Own site, the same place where I originally laid out the car I wanted to buy, and I looked carefully at all options and nowhere is there any CD changer option at all... I checked the details of the various packages and no reference at all to CD changer... I also checked every sub-category, especially INTERIOR options and ACCESSORIES... The closest thing I see is the PAL (Personal Audio Link) under ACCESSORIES... But there is no option for upgrading to a six CD changer...

But my guess is what I have must be a single CD changer... Otherwise, somewhere they would have listed it as a 6 CD changer... They always want you to know about such stuff but I can't find reference to 6 anywhere so my guess is it must be a ONE...
Old 04-28-2012, 10:35 AM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2012CGS
I have a 2012 GS 3LT. It is the single disc CD. But the real trick is to get yourself a $20 thumb drive and put 20-50 CDs on it and never have to lug aournd all of those CDs. Having grown up in the 8 track/cassette era, I think this is really Kool!
There you go... Thanks for clarifying... How about my iPhone 4 which has all my music on the phone... Can it be plugged in via the USB port or did I need to buy the Personal Audio Link to be able to use that??? I'm still reading as you can tell...

thanks... bob...
Old 04-28-2012, 10:36 AM
shelleygraham
Drifting

I have a 2010 grand sport convertible 4 LT . If you get navigation you only get a single CD changer . The 6 multiple changer is NOT available with navigation .
Old 04-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Tom45
Pro

Old 04-28-2012, 10:38 AM
shelleygraham
Drifting

I love my cd's . What is a thumb drive , where do I get it and is it easy to use ? Thanks
Old 04-28-2012, 10:40 AM
NOMRW8NG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by diitto
There you go... Thanks for clarifying... How about my iPhone 4 which has all my music on the phone... Can it be plugged in via the USB port or did I need to buy the Personal Audio Link to be able to use that??? I'm still reading as you can tell...

thanks... bob...
Yes, just plug into the USB port. The PAL is for older model years that don't have the USB port.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:45 AM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by xf1902
Yes, just plug into the USB port. The PAL is for older model years that don't have the USB port.
Thanks.... But say just a little bit more... So I plug the iPhone into the USB port... What, if anything, do I then have to choose on the radio/NAV control to tell it to choose the USB port as its audio source??? Or do I just start a playlist on the iPhone and away it goes???

thanks... bob...
Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

there is no 6 disk offered on any 2012 i believe. i know for sure on the nav. ones it is 1 disk only. love the usb though..
Old 04-28-2012, 11:04 AM
FullyVetted
Pro

I have a 2011 GS with Navi and single CD. I was initially bummed about "single" but learned, with the help of this forum, to put all my music on a Thumb drive/Flash drive that plugs into the USB port in the back of the center console. It was quite a learning curve for me to modify the files and transfer the music to my flash drive - but well worth it. Lots of good threads on the procedure. Iphone is probably easier - but I'm still trying to avoid the Apple culture.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 AM
All2Easy
Racer

I just plug my iPod in to the USB......4500 songs good to go.

For the poster that asked, once you connect your iPod, you will get an iPod icon to pop up on your music source screen. Hit it, and enjoy your noise.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:53 AM
ip-do-tan
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by All2Easy
I just plug my iPod in to the USB......4500 songs good to go.

For the poster that asked, once you connect your iPod, you will get an iPod icon to pop up on your music source screen. Hit it, and enjoy your noise.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:03 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by shelleygraham
I love my cd's . What is a thumb drive , where do I get it and is it easy to use ?
I was also disappointed at the lack of a CD changer, but a USB is WAAAAAAY better. You just 'rip' your CDs in your computer (you choose the tracks you want) into your main 'music' folder, then manipulate the folder/files any way you want. Then just copy them into a flash drive. I'd only advice you to use the highest bit rate, which is 320, I believe. Now you'll have all the album/artist/song information right on your screen, which does NOT happen with regular CDs. I paid $15 for an 8GB USB at Walmart (black, very thin, and with no light), have a $hitload of CDs in there, and still have about 1/3 space left. Amazing. I just threw a CD in there to make sure it worked, which I was doubting when the Nav spit it out, but it took it in the second try. Haven't used it since. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To one or six CD changer in 2012 3LT corvette?

Old 04-28-2012, 02:22 PM
JFKLS3
Racer

For 2012 and up, the 2LT and above cars get Nav. With the Nav, you only get single disc.

To answer the OP's original question.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:04 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

1. Yes, you can get a Genuine GM 6 disc CD changer for your C6. It's a separate accessory that installs in a coupe's storage cubby:

2. Lots of vendors sell this, so shop for best price. And see what's involved to install one... I don't have first-hand experience, but I bet a stereo shop could do it easily... or your Chevy dealer.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-possible.html

3. Devices that hold 1000's of songs are great for long trips (I have an MP3 player)... it's like having a radio station that continuously plays your favorite songs with no commercials.

But if you're searching for a particular artist or song, I'm not sure how you do it with a flash drive -- or if it's even possible. With my MP3 player, it is difficult & VERY VERY distracting to scroll through all the selections while driving... it's an accident waiting to happen, so I don't do it.

4. I bet you know someone with a flash drive or MP3 player or other media storage device. Try it in your C6... then the pros & cons should be obvious.

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 04-28-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by JFKLS3
For 2012 and up, the 2LT and above cars get Nav. With the Nav, you only get single disc.

To answer the OP's original question.

...yes, the NAV unit takes up the space in the dash where the 6-CD changer unit would otherwise go...
not enough physical space for both in the dash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: one or six CD changer in 2012 3LT corvette?