Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can I hook up an MP3 player to the C5 Bose head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 02:41 PM
flipm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I hook up an MP3 player to the C5 Bose head unit?

I was wondring if it is possible to take something like an Apple iPod and mate it to the AUX on the C5's Bose head unit. I know folks have mounted the CD changer after the fact, but could we mate something else? I would love to do this as a nice way to keep my music library with me when I'm on the road...
Old 12-04-2001, 08:13 PM
jayleone
Pro

Default Re: Can I hook up an MP3 player to the C5 Bose head unit? (flipm)

I had something close done, but they couldn't get it to work with the Aux button. I am sure with a little R&D it could be figured out. Essentially, composite inputs are soldered to a circuit board inside the head unit. THen you could use a 1.5 mm headphone jack (I think) to RCA cable. To switch to that input, just a grounded toggle switch is needed. I couldn't even begin to tell you how to do it. My local car stereo shop just happened to have this genius working for them. It worked like a dream. Perfect sound quality, and you don't have to mess around with amps and dealing with the whole Bose ordeal. The main problem the guy had was that the corvette headunit is still different than many, if not all of the non-bose GM units, so he couldn't power it up and test it outside of the car. I would ask around your local shops someone else is bound to know how to do it. If you are really ambitious, here is the contact info for the shop I had it done at, I don't remember the guys name though. Maybe he can give you more detail.

Monney Car Audio
395 San Bruno Ave E
San Bruno, CA 94066
(650) 742-9292
Old 12-05-2001, 12:38 AM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Can I hook up an MP3 player to the C5 Bose head unit? (flipm)

The most obvious fix is to buy a high quality FM modulator and connect it to your MP3 player. It will need to be connected to the HU antenna input.

The reason you cannot easily use the CD changer input is outlined below.

The C5 HU is under control of it's internal microprocessor AND the car BCM. You cannot get the HU to power up outside the car unless you simulate the command messages sent to it by the BCM over the car DLC buss. I have bench tested my Bose HU when I modified it for better sound using a spare BCM I have to command it to turn on.

To control the AUX input would be VERY difficult. Unless the HU can talk to a CD changer over the E&C data buss, it will not switch to the CD changer/AUX input. The E&C data buss connects from the HU to the changer and to the DLC connector for audio system testing by the Dealer techs. The IC that controls the inputs to the HU, radio, CD and changer cannot be controlled by an external switch. Only the HU microprocessor can control it through an internal serial buss.

There are two possible ways to fix this problem. Both involve "tricking" the HU microprocessor into thinking a CD changer is connected.

First would be to program a microprocessor with a 12 volt E&C buss interface to talk to the HU into thinking a CD changer is attached and playing a long song. Obviously this is not practical unless one was able to sell a lot of units to recover one's development costs.

Second is to record a single 60 min "song" on a blank CD and insert it into the changer. You can then put a DPDT switch in line with the changer audio line to connect either the changer or an MP3 player.

[Modified by 99HT, 10:57 AM 12/5/2001]
Old 12-05-2001, 03:36 PM
gtragitt
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Can I hook up an MP3 player to the C5 Bose head unit? (jayleone)

I really like the idea of using the 1.5 mm headphone jack. I don't want a CD changer in my car. I haven't put a CD in the BOSE player yet and the car is over a year old. I have over 200 audio CD's, but only listen to MP3's. I have ripped them all into 128 kbps MP3's. I hope I can find somebody who knows how to modify the Bose unit. I could probably buy a Kenwood unit that plays mp3's for less money, but I would still have to mess with discs and the look is crappy. I like the way the stock unit looks, just don't like its function.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:31 AM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Can I hook up an MP3 player to the C5 Bose head unit? (gtragitt)

Based on my comments, you have to decide what you mean by "modified". The software in the HU will not allow an easy modification.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 PM
D'04vette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 99HT
The most obvious fix is to buy a high quality FM modulator and connect it to your MP3 player. It will need to be connected to the HU antenna input.
Is there a difference between a FM modulator and a FM Transmitter?

I would like a setup where I can play music from my iPod Touch and charge the iPod when the battery is low (I do not want to charge it every time I play music in order to extend battery life). Does anyone have a recommendation for either a transmitter or modulator?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

They make a iPod adapter that works with the stock Bose head unit. Any shop like Double D Mods carries it for around $90. I just sold mine yesterday through the forum for $45 since I replaced my Bose head unit. I would avoid those FM modulators. They work horribly in areas with a lot of radio stations. I found them useless in the San Francisco Bay Area.

If you add an iPod adapter, it works fine, you can change tracks with the head unit's button, etc. It does "bug out" from time to time where the head unit buttons don't advance the track correctly, but you can click the iPod controls once or twice and usually that fixes things.

http://shop.doubledmods.com/Peripher...ter-ipodc5.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Can I hook up an MP3 player to the C5 Bose head unit?

Quick Reply: Can I hook up an MP3 player to the C5 Bose head unit?