Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the body mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:19 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah... body mounts. Second worst job to do on my '80; the trailing arms rank up there as the number #1.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:34 AM
dgood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lift would be nice, tired of laying on the floor but it would still be a tight fit getting those mounts in and on two and 4 you have to get into the car. I don't know. If I could take a few days off of work and the family I could get it done pretty quick (2 days).
Old 02-18-2012, 07:11 AM
dgood
Burning Brakes

Just finished the body mounts on the drivers side. Took about an hour to install and torque to 70 foot pounds. #2 was difficult squeezing the washer, spacers and bushing up there. #3 was impossible so I cut a 4x4 inch little square out of the fiberglass in the wheel well to get to it. I will fix that up during the week. The captive nut on #4 was rusted out so I used a pair of vice grips to hold the nut while I tightened in from below. I hope the passenger side is this easy!

All that is left on the drivers side is:
fill the charcoal canister, change the canister filters, replace all the rubber hoses on it and install it.
Repair grounding straps up by the #1 body mount
Fix fiberglass cut in the rear wheel well

Then on to the passenger side.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:15 AM
dgood
Burning Brakes

More pictures. This was before I tightened everything down.
#4 new body mount

#3 new body mount inside

# new body mount with fiberglass cut away

Top of #2 body mount

bottom of #2 body mount

#1 body mount

#1 body mount

#4 body mount
Old 02-18-2012, 11:00 AM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Did mine a couple of years ago..........

The following users liked this post:
Primoz (03-06-2022)
Old 02-19-2012, 01:41 AM
dgood
Burning Brakes

Got the passenger side mounts removed. Only took about an hour since I know how to do them now. Need to clean up the rust and paint and then I will install them this week. No pictures this time, the camera on my phone is not working but they were all in the same condition, completely rotten and all rusted out!

Finished the repairs on the drivers side to the fiberglass I cut in the rear wheel well, painted the charcoal canister and will install that this week also.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 AM
dgood
Burning Brakes

Got everything done with the body mounts. Easier on the passenger side because I knew what I was doing.

Lesson learned: once you have the body mounts off, do not lower the body down onto the frame until you have spacers or new body mounts back in there. When I started to remove mine, I left the rear bumper on. Well the passenger side frame was jacked up over night while the primer and paint were drying and the jack creaped down over night and the body lowered on to the frame (no body mounts installed). I didn't realize the damage until this morning when I was cleaning the car and noticed cracked paint on the rear bumper by the tail lights. I guess when the body dropped down it really stressed the rear end and cracked the paint. Not bad, just some spider cracks but the paint job was only 8 months old. Shazaaam
Old 03-24-2012, 07:38 AM
dgood
Burning Brakes

I can not believe the ride difference after I changed the body mounts. It really firmed everything up and the ride is 100 times better. None of those body jarring bumps anymore. I will never do that again!
Old 03-24-2012, 07:53 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by dgood
I can not believe the ride difference after I changed the body mounts. It really firmed everything up and the ride is 100 times better. None of those body jarring bumps anymore. I will never do that again!
Congratulations!!

Glad to hear you finally got it done.

Quick Reply: Replacing the body mounts