Sponsored by:

Rearview mirror (auto dim version) LED replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:59 PM
SuzukiDan7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rearview mirror (auto dim version) LED replacement

Hey guys, I was reading about this here and here, and decided to take this task on as I hate the LED colors they chose to put in these mirrors. It especially washes out the nice color of my mod red interior.

So I bought the white 5mm leds from oznium and followed spdkilz instructions, and got 6 new LEDs soldered in. I plugged it in and only the outer 4 LEDs are lighting up, the inner row of 2 do not. Also, the outer 4 do seem fairly on the dim side - not even as bright as the stock LEDs were.
I triple checked my polarity when installing, so I know thats not the issue. And I also doubt that i happen to have two dud LEDs in the center row, but I suppose its not impossible.
Anyone have this happen, or have any ideas whats wrong?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Try contacting forum members TheRadioFlyer or tstar. They do a lot of work with LEDs and perhaps they can offer some tech assistance to you.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:54 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I am assuming you check polarity of the LED's themselves before you soldered them? You may just have an issue there.

Good luck
Old 02-19-2012, 07:21 PM
SuzukiDan7
Racer

Originally Posted by ALLEGRO
I am assuming you check polarity of the LED's themselves before you soldered them? You may just have an issue there.

Good luck
Yes, I checked checked and rechecked my polarity was correct.

Try contacting forum members TheRadioFlyer or tstar. They do a lot of work with LEDs and perhaps they can offer some tech assistance to you.
Thanks
Old 02-19-2012, 10:50 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by SuzukiDan7
Hey guys, I was reading about this here and here, and decided to take this task on as I hate the LED colors they chose to put in these mirrors. It especially washes out the nice color of my mod red interior.

So I bought the white 5mm leds from oznium and followed spdkilz instructions, and got 6 new LEDs soldered in. I plugged it in and only the outer 4 LEDs are lighting up, the inner row of 2 do not. Also, the outer 4 do seem fairly on the dim side - not even as bright as the stock LEDs were.
I triple checked my polarity when installing, so I know thats not the issue. And I also doubt that i happen to have two dud LEDs in the center row, but I suppose its not impossible.
Anyone have this happen, or have any ideas whats wrong?

Thanks!
The white LED's operate at a slightly higher voltage than the LED's that GM used. If you have started the car the system voltage will be above battery only (12.6 battery only, 13.8 to 14.1 with engine on (typical)), In this situation all of the LED's should be lit.

I did the white LED install years ago. It is so much better than the poor selection that GM used.

Gary
Old 02-19-2012, 11:14 PM
SuzukiDan7
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
The white LED's operate at a slightly higher voltage than the LED's that GM used. If you have started the car the system voltage will be above battery only (12.6 battery only, 13.8 to 14.1 with engine on (typical)), In this situation all of the LED's should be lit.

I did the white LED install years ago. It is so much better than the poor selection that GM used.

Gary
Ahh, I had not thought of this! Thanks I'll try starting the car so the voltage gets up and see if they come on.

At the same time, This would be a bummer if the center lights will always be off when I open the door after the car has sat for a while and the voltage settled down to 12.5-13 volts.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:12 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Gary's right on (as usual), the two outer rows are tied in series so 4 Blue or White LEDs in series require more voltage then the outer rows are getting to be achieve full brightness. Red and Orange work perfectly there as they operate on slightly lower voltages.

You have to modify the board itself to get all the outer LEDs to come up to full brightness. PM me of you want to modify it yourself or have me do it for you via JW Motoring's LED services...
Old 03-20-2012, 02:57 PM
SuzukiDan7
Racer

Turns out I had a few lights not lighting up due to a bad solder job. Re did it and all is well now.

I will say - the lights do get significantly brighter once the car is running! They are in some kind of low power mode with the car off, only the center 2 are bright, but once the car is running it looks like all 6 go to full brightness. Throws quite a lot of light, much brighter and looks much better than stock.

Get notified of new replies

To Rearview mirror (auto dim version) LED replacement

Quick Reply: Rearview mirror (auto dim version) LED replacement