C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

CD player removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Default CD player removal

My CD player stopped working for reasons other than the obvious blown fuse. Since my '96 is getting on in years I thought I might pull the player and have it rebuilt or replaced. Anybody know how to get it out? It doesn't look easy. I'm a little hesitant to take it to a stereo shop for fear of them using a prybar or something primitive. This may have been covered before but I haven't been here for a while. Maybe there's something archived? Thanks!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:36 AM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This may help
http://www.corvetteradios.com/corvetteradios__1.htm
Old 01-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Default Radio removal

Thanks, Blue! That's just what I needed. I really didn't want to experiment and find out the hard way that I shouldn't pry on one thing or another. My interior is very nice and I'd like to keep it that way. Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 AM
summerst
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

You don't mention whether you have a Bose system or not. I posted a comment few days ago for one with a Bose system as I have gone through this exercise twice in the last 6 months in my 1990 and my son's 1991 (both Coupes with Bose systems) and I believe it should be applicable to your '96. I purchased the same radio for both cars (JVC-XR810). It is a double din and it fits perfectly into the dash. This radio has a USB port in the front and back and it is Iphone ready. It comes with a bluetooth adapter that I plugged into the rear USB port. The radio has a microphone and connects (via Bluetooth) to our Iphone 4 and Iphone 4s. I can play all the songs on my Iphone wirelessly and the sound is perfect only interrupted if I recieve a phone call that I can answer hands free. The radio can be purchased for $178.98 at Best Buy. I had the radios installed by Best Buy as they charge less when you buy the radio from them. Best Buy doesn't stock the installation kit (Metra Chevrolet Corvette 1990-1996 Turbo Pocket Kit - Metra 993051) or the Bose adapter harness (Metra 70-1857 Tuner Relocation and Bose Integration Harness for Select GM Vehicles), both of which are available at Amazon.com. You may want to pick up two PAC SNI1 Noise Isolators as aftermarket radios (this one at least) picks up some high pitched engine noise. Installation cost was about $125 for each vehicle. Make sure that your Bose amps in the speaker housings are in working order prior to the install. If you have a bad amp or two, you can find them on eBay used or send yours in for repair (also on eBay). Both radios work great. That Bose sound is terrific even with 20 year old speakers. BTW using the Metra wiring harness and my old speakers saved me $400 which was the cost to rewire all the speaker housings (speakers were extra). For you purists out there, this modification is reversable if you ever want to put the old radio back in (which Best Buy says it will do for free!). Check "My Corvette Photos" for a picture of the finished installation (I would post the pic here but haven't found a way to do that...can someone help me out?)

Last edited by summerst; 01-21-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Default What a guy!

Hey, Summerst, thanks for writing. I really appreciate a guy who'll take the time to write to help out another guy who's somewhat in the dark on electrical stuff. I have to go poking around to see how and what is in the car. I've been a little hesitant b/c of the way some of these things have to be taken apart. I'm not a purist in that I don't have to have the original electronics in the car. I'd just like something that works. So now I have to start digging! Thanks again for your comments.

Get notified of new replies

To CD player removal

Quick Reply: CD player removal