C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replaced slave cylinder now it's a rock.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:14 PM
sourn
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced slave cylinder now it's a rock.

1992 corvette

I replaced my slave clyinder today (have a new master cylinder aslo, but was a little iffy and not exactly sure what to do) and since it looked like the slave cylinder was leaking (moisture around the outside where it bolts on) I decided to just replace that.

I filled the new slave cylinder up before I put it on, finnally got it bolted on. Then I sat in the car and push the clutch it was pretty tight and I figured that was just because it was new, then all of a sudden it became solid (could not push at all). So i played with it a bit went through gears even after I took my foot off the pedal I was still able to go through gears.

As I was doing that every know and then the clutch would seem to go to the floor (with pressure on it like it should maybe a little loose). But then when I let off the clutch completly it would get solid again and I'd have to play with it more.

So I got out checked everything low and behold my master clyinder where the container hooks into it is obviously leaking now (and really may have been the problem in the first place).

Now I got to replace the master clyinder and bleed the slave cylinder (no biggy I already got the master cylinder and will just have to learn to do it).

This has me really worried, if it was just going to the floor it wouldn't be a big deal as it would be obvious that I just screwed up some where, but with it being rock solid (until I play with it, but always going back to being really hard) I just don't know. And I don't want to put the new master cylinder on there, and have it mess up.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:10 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

what kind of fluid did you put in it?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:37 PM
sourn
Cruising

Dot 4 I think, not really sure I bought it awhile ago and just used what the manual told me to. I've been using this fluid for awhile now since I was having issues with my slave clyinder I'd have to fill it up quite often (even though there was no obvious leaks at the time).
Old 12-30-2011, 07:57 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

when you put the new m/c on , there's a way to gravity bleed those, cuts down on b.s.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:08 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the info at www.zfdoc.com, also in "search". This system has an oem cylinder problem, well documented, but completely correctible, and there is lots of experience, mine included, on what works and what doesn't. Repair this before you drive too far, or you will have a trans rebuild in your future.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:57 PM
LT4Racer
4th Gear

To be an OEM cylinder problem, you would have to install another replacement OEM cylinder. As the clutch pedal didn't exhibit this problem before the slave cylinder was installed, and Power Torque Systems did not supply the replacement slave cylinder, this would be an aftermarket slave cylinder problem.

When you put Chinese made aftermarket components on your Corvette, don't be surprised when they don't fit, don't function properly, and don't last anywhere near as long as the OEM stuff. You are welcome to PM me if you are still having clutch pedal issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Replaced slave cylinder now it's a rock.

Quick Reply: Replaced slave cylinder now it's a rock.