Sponsored by:

To Wave or Not to Wave

Old 12-28-2011, 11:52 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 816 Likes on 385 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

All I was trying to say, is that I happened to pass a nice C4 and we both waved as is the Corvette custom and it has been that custom dating back to the mid 50's. Then 1/4 up the road at a light another Vette made the turn and almost out drove himself showing off. I was not saying that a wave is a must and I was upset that he did not wave, but I choose not to wave because of his actions. It is everyone's choice to wave or not, it is simply a Corvette tradition as I mentioned and I was not trying to start a war.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:11 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Doesn't matter if you were or weren't trying to start a war. the wave threads will start one everytime. Some people like the tradition of waving and belonging to a select group. Others belong to their own group of me, me, and me.

As far as you not waving at the the car you chose not to, that's your business. But I think judging someone for doing a burnout, or spinning their tires, or whatever, so long as they weren't hurting anyone is kinda elitist imo as well.

There was a time we lived for doing burnouts, and friday night drag racing, and no one ever got hurt in my neck of the woods doing so. We knew it was dangerous and we respected that.

I have one of the fastes productions cars built up to 1999 and if I decide to do a burnout I'm sorry, I'll do a burnout. And no one is going to tell me not to and if you criticize me for it, I don't care.

I don't wear a dress or drive a yugo.

With that said, I don't race around, nor do I burn the rubber off my expensive tires. But it's my choice. Not because you don't wave and hurt my feelings.

I love these threads. Ain't they fun!
Old 12-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Zogs2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wave if you want, don't wave if you don't want to.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:21 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 816 Likes on 385 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
Doesn't matter if you were or weren't trying to start a war. the wave threads will start one everytime. Some people like the tradition of waving and belonging to a select group. Others belong to their own group of me, me, and me.

As far as you not waving at the the car you chose not to, that's your business. But I think judging someone for doing a burnout, or spinning their tires, or whatever, so long as they weren't hurting anyone is kinda elitist imo as well.

There was a time we lived for doing burnouts, and friday night drag racing, and no one ever got hurt in my neck of the woods doing so. We knew it was dangerous and we respected that.

I have one of the fastes productions cars built up to 1999 and if I decide to do a burnout I'm sorry, I'll do a burnout. And no one is going to tell me not to and if you criticize me for it, I don't care.

I don't wear a dress or drive a yugo.

With that said, I don't race around, nor do I burn the rubber off my expensive tires. But it's my choice. Not because you don't wave and hurt my feelings.

I love these threads. Ain't they fun!
Not a problem, and I agree that we all (well they may be a few that have not) drive are Vette hard at times as that is the nature of the beast, and we bought the car to enjoy it. However in this case the guy was about a second away from putting his Vette into mine or the car behind me that was the point I was trying to make. When people over drive the car in traffic it not only endangers them but those around and it also makes every one in a Corvette look bad to those around us. Needless to say when the light turned green I eased into the turn and drove off granny shifting so those ahead of me and behind did not think we all drove on the ragged edge.
As for the wave it is a dying tradition, but back in the 60's when I bought my first Vette it was a standard procedure to wave at every Vette you passed, but that is changing.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:22 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by TR6speed
All I was trying to say, is that I happened to pass a nice C4 and we both waved as is the Corvette custom and it has been that custom dating back to the mid 50's. Then 1/4 up the road at a light another Vette made the turn and almost out drove himself showing off. I was not saying that a wave is a must and I was upset that he did not wave, but I choose not to wave because of his actions. It is everyone's choice to wave or not, it is simply a Corvette tradition as I mentioned and I was not trying to start a war.
Sheesh, TR6, even when you try to disarm what becomes an unpleasant discussion at best, someone else has to continue it. I understood what you said from the beginning. Since YOU are on this forum and share info with me and others for no other reason other than our common fondness for our very cool cars, I trust your judgement. Seemed like the guy was out of control. That's a lot different than just lighting up one's tires or going up to 6000 rpm in 2nd gear just because if feels so damn good.
In fact, I'll confess that I got into a little trouble yesterday on the wet pavement around here at the time. I was alone on an empty road but still felt like it was a mistake. Of course I learned something as well.
I just don't understand why some people get their backs up over a statement by a fellow member regarding a stranger. In fact I don't understand why so many get their backs up over half the innocuous things that are stated on this forum, which has been an invaluable source of info and camaraderie for me.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:39 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Zogs2011
Wave if you want, don't wave if you don't want to.

Written by the author of the simplified 1040 form...?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:53 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Not a problem, and I agree that we all (well they may be a few that have not) drive are Vette hard at times as that is the nature of the beast, and we bought the car to enjoy it. However in this case the guy was about a second away from putting his Vette into mine or the car behind me that was the point I was trying to make. When people over drive the car in traffic it not only endangers them but those around and it also makes every one in a Corvette look bad to those around us. Needless to say when the light turned green I eased into the turn and drove off granny shifting so those ahead of me and behind did not think we all drove on the ragged edge.
As for the wave it is a dying tradition, but back in the 60's when I bought my first Vette it was a standard procedure to wave at every Vette you passed, but that is changing.
If someone gets dangerous that's a whole different conversation I fully agree with you.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:16 PM
egrand333
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Being from the city I have noticed that when traveling in rural areas lots of people wave to everyone they encounter on the road. Just more laid back and friendly. In fact, last year my son and I drove to New Orleans and went through several states we had not visited before. One of them (can't remember which) had a small town with a sign that read "friendliest town in the south" and a few blocks later a policeman was waiting to pull out from a side steet and waved to us. Never had that happen before. Maybe he was a vette owner.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:51 PM
ibgolfin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try and wave to all vettes i see. Today while in my truck drivig up 287 here in nj i was passing a 2003 anniversary vert with florida plates. My c5 is the same so i slowed down to take a look. At first i think the driver thought i was scopeing out the lady in his car untill i gave him a thumbs up and a wave. He waved backed and i was on my way. In my mind i felt with the wave he new i was a vette owner and was just admirering his car.
I choose to wave and dont care who else does.
Happy New year to all !!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:38 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I only wave when I'm racing at high speeds on city streets
Old 12-28-2011, 08:59 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by ibgolfin
I try and wave to all vettes i see. Today while in my truck drivig up 287 here in nj i was passing a 2003 anniversary vert with florida plates. My c5 is the same so i slowed down to take a look. At first i think the driver thought i was scopeing out the lady in his car untill i gave him a thumbs up and a wave. He waved backed and i was on my way. In my mind i felt with the wave he new i was a vette owner and was just admirering his car.
I choose to wave and dont care who else does.
Happy New year to all !!!!
Same to you! My wife and I also waved to someone on 287 in a C4. She seemed surprised, but smiled and waved back.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Dixiecrat
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you were ! lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To Wave or Not to Wave