C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rivet Set Tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:06 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Default Rivet Set Tool

I am in the process of restoring/repairing my '66 coupe vent window frames and I need to replace the hinge rivet on one and the hinge assy on the other. I realize that there has been discussion on the proper way to set these rivets but what has been your personal experience on the best tool for the job ? I have the ventilators out of the car and the glass will be removed so I will be able to set the assy on a vise or a flat surface. Whatcha' got ?

Ray
Old 11-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Send it out

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
I am in the process of restoring/repairing my '66 coupe vent window frames and I need to replace the hinge rivet on one and the hinge assy on the other. I realize that there has been discussion on the proper way to set these rivets but what has been your personal experience on the best tool for the job ? I have the ventilators out of the car and the glass will be removed so I will be able to set the assy on a vise or a flat surface. Whatcha' got ?

Ray
Find someone who is mechanical

Can't wait to see your car when you drive east to visit

Say hello to. Margo

Still working on going abroad

New top is my last project. Waiting for delivery

Jack
Old 11-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Hey Ray..........Those rivets are a PITA to set. I used a tool that looked like a punch but had the correct upset on the underside to do the job. You need about 8 hands as I recall. I set it on my vise upside down with something to buck the rivet from behind then I enlisted an extra pair of hands (the wife is very trusting and she is already a lefty) to hold it just right and with the tool and a ball peen hammer got both sides done. It is a small and awkward part to work with, the key is to get it properly supported before you start whacking the rivets. Get a couple of extra rivets. In case you are not happy with the flares, you can try again.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:11 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

I bought the above mentioned tool years ago from Long Island Corvette to do the vent window rivets on a '63 split window coupe. As I remember, it worked pretty well.

I recently bought the Aero Rivet II precision tool sold by Man Machine Interface in the NCRS Driveline (Page 77 of the Nov-Dec 2011 issue). It's supposed to do Corvette vent window rivets but I bought it to do some vent window assemblies on an old Mustang. Unfortunately it was too big to get into the space I needed to work in, so it didn't work for that. I'm not happy about paying $90 for a tool I haven't used, so I'll tell you what Ray... I'll "rent" it and the basic punch tool to you for the cost of postage if you'll send it back. Let me know.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:02 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
I bought the above mentioned tool years ago from Long Island Corvette to do the vent window rivets on a '63 split window coupe. As I remember, it worked pretty well.

I recently bought the Aero Rivet II precision tool sold by Man Machine Interface in the NCRS Driveline (Page 77 of the Nov-Dec 2011 issue). It's supposed to do Corvette vent window rivets but I bought it to do some vent window assemblies on an old Mustang. Unfortunately it was too big to get into the space I needed to work in, so it didn't work for that. I'm not happy about paying $90 for a tool I haven't used, so I'll tell you what Ray... I'll "rent" it and the basic punch tool to you for the cost of postage if you'll send it back. Let me know.
Yowza Double B, this is why I love this Forum ! I would happliy take you up on this kind offer and I'll try and do you a little better than postage. Maybe I gots some old Corvette parts you could use ....
(I'll PM you with info)

Thanks, Ray
Old 11-28-2011, 05:24 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

PM's returned.

Get notified of new replies

To Rivet Set Tool

Quick Reply: Rivet Set Tool