C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Callaway AeroBody Kit For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 03:48 PM
C4GUY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's fair to say it could be better engineered. Everything could be. But given budget and design parameters forced to work in all things are a compromise. Does not make something bad but the technical statement "it could be better" to me is not an insult.

Also, it was very complex and doubled the price of the car. Some would say it was not worth it, others would not. Again, I think a fair statement that does not mean you are condemning something per se. From what I have read and when I see Reeves speak he seems very direct with no fluff which is often easy to misinterpret without context and tone.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C4GUY
From what I have read and when I see Reeves speak he seems very direct with no fluff which is often easy to misinterpret without context and tone.
We're really here, but I don't know how anyone can "misinterpret" these quotes:

"one of the automotive disasters of engine design of all time"

"overweight, underperforming pig"

"The ZR-1 is a nightmare of complexity for very little performance."

Not "mispeaking", Not a "slip of the tongue", just his opinion. Very direct with no fluff, and he's entitled to it. But he's got to live with it, so what.

But, that old horse has been dead since 2002.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:31 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1

But, that old horse has been dead since 2002.
I kinda wonder why it was even brought up...it was almost 10 years ago.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:40 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Originally Posted by C4GUY
Interesiting in Dave McClellans Corvette From the Inside book he praises Reeve and his involvement overall in the Corvette program at the time. Reeves is also very positive.
when gm called him to make the b2k he wasn't even sure he wanted to be involved with something, and i'm paraphrasing here, as low class as the corvette. I'd be positive too if i had a ton of corvette related cash flowing into my shop
Old 11-03-2011, 04:43 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
I remain of the opinion that the journalist slanted the tone of the article with the statement that followed the quote. Reeves explained everything in 2002 at Carlisle. If you were there, you got the answers. If not, we're not going to relive ancient history on a subject such as this. Thanks.
all drama, ********, ect aside, what does a 90 or 91 b2k come in at? I'm asking because I'm actually considering buying one.

additionally, don't you think it would be a good idea to put an end to these 'rumors' once and for all. If I believed that Reeves did in fact say and mean these things, and had a c6 i wanted to mod I'd be sure to send it to LPE or SGC and not Callaway.

Last edited by zr-1 guy; 11-03-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by zr-1 guy
all drama, ********, ect aside, what does a 90 or 91 b2k come in at? I'm asking because I'm actually considering buying one.

additionally, don't you think it would be a good idea to put an end to these 'rumors' once and for all. If I believed that Reeves did in fact say and mean these things, and had a c6 i wanted to mod I'd be sure to send it to LPE or SGC and not Callaway.
What do you mean, "come in at", if it's weight I don't know. Maybe some Callaway owners know the weight differential between the ZR-1 and the Callaways. My guess is that it's not a lot.
The controversy is old news, but it's not a "rumor". It's a published interview with direct quotes. The quotes are so incendiary that it's extremely unlikely that he's been mis-quoted.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:35 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
What do you mean, "come in at", if it's weight I don't know. Maybe some Callaway owners know the weight differential between the ZR-1 and the Callaways. My guess is that it's not a lot.
The controversy is old news, but it's not a "rumor". It's a published interview with direct quotes. The quotes are so incendiary that it's extremely unlikely that he's been mis-quoted.
yes I meant weight. and yes I remember the article.. i'm sure i have it around here somewhere. do I think he was misquoted, no probably not, but it always is a possibility
Old 11-03-2011, 05:56 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

If I believed that Reeves did in fact say and mean these things, and had a c6 i wanted to mod I'd be sure to send it to LPE or SGC and not Callaway.
Just curious...what impact would a statement he made 10 years have to do with the quality/performance/warranty of their current offering?
Old 11-03-2011, 06:11 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

With all due respect, "these rumors" were put to bed in the summer of 2002 in front of over 300 Corvette Enthusiasts. There is no point in discussing it here any further, as some online will not let it go... Like I said, the time to discuss was at Carlisle when it was fresh. Not ten years later...

Regarding modifications, we are peerless in our current C6 products with respect to reliability, drivability, power delivery, emissions compliance, and a full powertrain warranty. NOBODY delivers a better product than Callaway. However, if you feel that other companies have earned your business, we respect that, even if it isn't a direct apples to apples comparison.

Regarding vehicle weight, I will have to get back to you that, as I am on the road this week and would have to refer to engineering data not at my fingertips right now In the meantime, should you start a thread about your search for a 90/91 B2K, I'd be happy to help with any questions you might have.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:15 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
Just curious...what impact would a statement he made 10 years have to do with the quality/performance/warranty of their current offering?
emotional impact. same way I still get prickly when someone brings up a girl i dated nearly 10 years ago.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:17 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
With all due respect, "these rumors" were put to bed in the summer of 2002 in front of over 300 Corvette Enthusiasts. There is no point in discussing it here any further, as some online will not let it go... Like I said, the time to discuss was at Carlisle when it was fresh. Not ten years later...

Regarding modifications, we are peerless in our current C6 products with respect to reliability, drivability, power delivery, emissions compliance, and a full powertrain warranty. NOBODY delivers a better product than Callaway. However, if you feel that other companies have earned your business, we respect that, even if it isn't a direct apples to apples comparison.

Regarding vehicle weight, I will have to get back to you that, as I am on the road this week and would have to refer to engineering data not at my fingertips right now In the meantime, should you start a thread about your search for a 90/91 B2K, I'd be happy to help with any questions you might have.
we can agree to disagree about the time and place to discuss this. i'm not ready to start a thread on my search for a b2k, as I'm not sure it's going to win the pro/con debate against the other cars i'm also considering.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Just saw this on Fleabay. Thought someone might be interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200669614082...WAX:IT&vxp=mtr
Old 11-03-2011, 06:27 PM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Has there ever been a comparison between the Callaway Body kit and the LPE body kit in terms of weight and aerodynamics? I like them both a lot but sort of lean towards the rear of the LPE kit.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by USAFPILOT
Has there ever been a comparison between the Callaway Body kit and the LPE body kit in terms of weight and aerodynamics? I like them both a lot but sort of lean towards the rear of the LPE kit.
I've never seen any stats. It seems like the LPE kits are rarely for sale as compared to the AeroBody kits, which seem to be everywhere these days. There must be a lot of cars out there with Callaway kits but no Callaway engine mods.

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 11-03-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:50 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

There was a TT LT5 Callaway built. The car was for sale not too long ago. I can tell you that the workmanship on that car was just fantastic.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FU
There was a TT LT5 Callaway built. The car was for sale not too long ago. I can tell you that the workmanship on that car was just fantastic.
Frank, what's your opinion pertaining to quality, LPE vs Callaway?
Old 11-03-2011, 08:22 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
Frank, what's your opinion pertaining to quality, LPE vs Callaway?
Both LPE AND Callaway Aerobody kits are high quality product's. That is a tough choice.
The only preference would be the style that one prefer's. And again , for me they are both great.
Sorry for not being much help. But that's my opinion.

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway AeroBody Kit For Sale

Old 11-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FU
Both LPE AND Callaway Aerobody kits are high quality product's. That is a tough choice.
The only preference would be the style that one prefer's. And again , for me they are both great.
Sorry for not being much help. But that's my opinion.
I'm going to vote for you in the next election, Frank!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:10 AM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
I'm going to vote for you in the next election, Frank!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:49 PM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

As far as performance, I remember Jerry ran his (very cool, and
black with red engine!) car at the Las Vegas Gathering years ago.
It was a mile event.
He can chime in, but I think he said his front moulding hindered
his performance.

OK, not his, his car's......

Last edited by 95ZR1; 11-04-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Wanted 2

Quick Reply: Callaway AeroBody Kit For Sale