C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My iPad2 Install

Old 10-28-2011, 05:30 PM
JamesVaughn3rd
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks amazing, your whole interior. How did you make the dash, you said MDF right? I mean it's not one giant piece of it, how did you make it curve around like that?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:01 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

different in a good way...
Old 10-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Mewn
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Vette_pilot wow thanks for pointing that out, very cool!!
James, I take layers of mdf and glue them together with elmers pro bond, then sand them down to the shape I want and use fiberglass to fill any cracks or mistakes. I have a nice assortment of sanding and shaping tools including dremels and mini chain saw sanders which helps, but it is a time consuming process. Very similar to body work or sculpting. When the surface is ready you then glue down half inch padding making sure it is all smooth and cover with your choice of material. You need a good hair dryer to warm up and stretch the material and a air upholstry stapler with short stainless upholstry staples to attach with. I also have a singer sewing machine to make seams with. All my seams are with thin black thread, you need a industrial machine to do the thick colored thread you see on custom cars.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:50 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mewn
Hi,

But...it's not orange...

Nice work
Old 06-09-2014, 05:55 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,318 Likes on 2,767 Posts

Terrific craftmanship.

Talent like that should be appreciated.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:30 PM
sahhas
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

wow, that is really cool! awesome work!!!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:34 PM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Im sure the 2 g's is without electronics...but hell if you wanna make a few grand extra doing mine, let me know.....
Old 06-10-2014, 10:45 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Very clever!! But, since you have a 'big screen' built into the dash, why not just have "virtual" gauges programmed as a selectable option?
Old 06-11-2014, 06:40 AM
Mewn
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Very clever!! But, since you have a 'big screen' built into the dash, why not just have "virtual" gauges programmed as a selectable option?
Thank you all for the kind words.
Dash Command for iPad
This app is nice, though I read it was lagged and low res. There are a bunch out.. They use a OBD-II scanner with Bluetooth. I did think about a seperate iPad mini framed in with an aluminum bezel behind the steering wheel running a gps speedo and bluetooth tach with a seperate ipad in console.

I only drove the car a few times after finishing my iPad install, I snapped my drive shaft and started on my Autofab 4-link project. One thing leads to another, and right now it is in pieces again with plans for a frame off with GM Black (someday!).
I did use the same iPad to switch between the my 81 Vette and my 99 Dodge work truck. (1 2 3 4)
When I drive with an iPad I usually switch between a app that runs my music library with a digital equalizer, and a program with half the screen a GPS speedometer with compass and G-Force meter, and half GPS maps. Weather is nice too. Siri at a touch of a button is also nice, she looks up locations on maps and can send txt, or make calls via face time.

Chevy needs to make a deal with Apple for in dash units on new cars!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My iPad2 Install