Sponsored by:

C5 Mirrors for a C3?

Old 07-08-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

They use studs, I'm going to assume in the same method as the stock sport mirrors - drill large access holes through the door frame, then use washers and nuts to hold the mirror pylon studs. I haven't gotten that far yet on my install.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks....I just got to digging through my files and found some info posted by the member who did the Aurora mirror mod. This is what he said:Thanks for all the nice comments on the mirrors. They are from a 95-97 Olds Aurora. The original metal posts were too short so I had to remove them which was a bit difficult as they were pressed in. Once they were out, I tapped some 1/4" X 20 threads into the existing holes and got some 1.5" 1/4" X 20 stainless steel studs and nuts to match. The rest was just a matter of drilling and squeezing my hand in the opening. Total time, not counting paint...about three hours. The paint was easy to match because I did the paint and upholstery myself. The center console is built from 1/2" plywood, foam and naugahyde and a couple of hinges. It makes the right elbow much more comfortable and gives me a place to store stuff. The steering wheel is Formuling France with a custom made adapter that I had machined out of 3/4" aluminum. With the new motor mounts, the old betsy feels like a brand new car.
I would mount them pretty close to the same place I did. You just need the Aurora switch to make them work as they should. You should be able to find that on ebay. Too much work for me!! The angle of the doors and the angle of the mirrors is critical. Don't go down too far or the mirror will hit the window. I should have mounted them about 3/8" higher. The fix, if you do mount them lower is to file or sand off enough metal on the base of the mirror to change the angle. I'm still going to do that to mine...when I get some time. Good luck
It appears there is more to it than a direct bolt on application. He made some very helpful suggestions in his post, I wish I had saved his username.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:06 PM
EJC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Red 69. I appreciate the research.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:22 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 01 Aurora and the mirros are completely different but they do have the reverse feature mentioned before. Not sure if the control module would be any easier to get to.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Red 69
Thanks....I just got to digging through my files and found some info posted by the member who did the Aurora mirror mod. This is what he said:Thanks for all the nice comments on the mirrors. They are from a 95-97 Olds Aurora. The original metal posts were too short so I had to remove them which was a bit difficult as they were pressed in. Once they were out, I tapped some 1/4" X 20 threads into the existing holes and got some 1.5" 1/4" X 20 stainless steel studs and nuts to match. The rest was just a matter of drilling and squeezing my hand in the opening. Total time, not counting paint...about three hours. The paint was easy to match because I did the paint and upholstery myself. The center console is built from 1/2" plywood, foam and naugahyde and a couple of hinges. It makes the right elbow much more comfortable and gives me a place to store stuff. The steering wheel is Formuling France with a custom made adapter that I had machined out of 3/4" aluminum. With the new motor mounts, the old betsy feels like a brand new car.
I would mount them pretty close to the same place I did. You just need the Aurora switch to make them work as they should. You should be able to find that on ebay. Too much work for me!! The angle of the doors and the angle of the mirrors is critical. Don't go down too far or the mirror will hit the window. I should have mounted them about 3/8" higher. The fix, if you do mount them lower is to file or sand off enough metal on the base of the mirror to change the angle. I'm still going to do that to mine...when I get some time. Good luck
It appears there is more to it than a direct bolt on application. He made some very helpful suggestions in his post, I wish I had saved his username.
From that post, I think he took the studs all the way through the door frame. It's not really necessary, the stock sport mirrors just bolt to the outside of the door. I'm pretty sure the Aurora studs are actually longer than the old sport mirror studs.

Also, my 95 mirror mounting studs are threaded into the pylon - they're just very tight. One nut was rusted to the stud and it unscrewed everything from the pylon.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:33 PM
terrysvette
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can these mirrors be used manually? Just curious not interested in moving parts. IS THERE MORE CLEARANCE OVER THE REAR FENDERS?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:58 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Why not just use regular C3 sport mirrors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 Mirrors for a C3?