C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 corvette heater box

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:44 PM
NCShooter
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1966 corvette heater box

I need some help! I'm working on my heater box from my 66 vette. The foam inside the box has broken down, and needs to be replaced. I see a row of rivetts along the metel portion of the box. Has anyone ever removed these rivetts to gain access to the flapper door, and install new foam. If so, how did you get the rivetts to crimp somewhat like the factory style?
When removing the heater box from under the dash, one of the studs broke off the end of the fiberglass heater box. Has anyone ever tried to repair a corner section where the stud is located?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You Chuck Isaac
Old 07-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by NCShooter
I need some help! I'm working on my heater box from my 66 vette. The foam inside the box has broken down, and needs to be replaced. I see a row of rivetts along the metel portion of the box. Has anyone ever removed these rivetts to gain access to the flapper door, and install new foam. If so, how did you get the rivetts to crimp somewhat like the factory style?
When removing the heater box from under the dash, one of the studs broke off the end of the fiberglass heater box. Has anyone ever tried to repair a corner section where the stud is located?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You Chuck Isaac
The kits for the heater box come with new rivets and can be set with the tool that most vendors sell for about 10 bucks.

Dave
Old 07-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Trkdrvr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

Dave, one of mine was broken. I fixed by using a stud with fixed bar at one end. I dont know what they are called but are used for connecting sections of counter top together. Anyway , I just glassed it into the torn-out hole. Worked just fine. Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 corvette heater box

Quick Reply: 1966 corvette heater box