Sponsored by:

removing antenna motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:06 PM
midlifetoy1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default removing antenna motor

I need to pull the antenna motor to remove a broken piece of the mast gear. Do I need to remove the bezel that's on the fender? If so, how is it removed? A thread on the forum gave the impression that I could open the motor without totally removing it from the car. True?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:45 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I don't think there is enough room to work on the motor while it is still in the car. It's pretty tight in there. Careful,,, it seems everything in that corner is really sharp.

GL
Old 03-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you remove the right most taillight I bet the whole power antenna would fit through the opening. I never tried it so I don't know for sure but it's pretty easy to give it a try! Let me know if it works, I'm curious. Good luck!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You go through the right taillamp. The whole thing comes out as one assembly with the two torex screws. Then unscrew the lamp assembly and set it aside.

On the inside remove the two net wing screws and pull out the inside carpet. The wires are attached to the side wall of the quarter panel with tabs just pull them out and pull the wires free, disconnect the cable assembly and ant cable. Push the grommet through the walls.

Remove the two ground wires. Be really careful with those nuts. Remove the two nuts holding the antenna and pull it out. The tip is just pushed through that opening in the fender. That grommet doesn't come out. Remove the antenna.

Transfer the bracket to the new antenna, reverse to install. Careful on tighten the ground wires they want to turn and break. I know about this.

Last edited by Jet-Jock; 03-26-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:29 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default If the mast is broken off inside the motor you must drill out the plastic rivets

Follow the instructions above by removing right taillight. I removed both taillights to get a better view. Once you have unbolted the motor and slipped the mast from the rear fender (have to unscrew the circular nut on top of where the mast comes out of the fender) don't disconnect the wiring but drill out the 3 plastic rivets and then CAREFULLY remove the components under the plastic housing.
Now you remove the broken plastic toothed part of the mast inside the motor.
Get a new mast from ANTENNAMASTSRUS.COM either at their website or on fleebay. Their website shows how to replace the broken mast. They are also very helpful on the 800 phone line. New mast costs less than $20. When finished removing the broken piece fron the motor carefully put things back the same way you removed them after using some lubricant in the internal motor. I used 3 self tapping screws to replace the motor cover where I drilled out the plastic rivets. You replace the new mast AFTER REPLACING the motor. Insert the new mast into the hole where the shaft exits the rear fender after turning the radio ON. Then turn it OFF and the mast will feed into the motor.
Turn radio on an off a few times to make sure the mast has completely entered the motor and runs completely up and down. Pat your self on the back for saving over $130 for a NEW motor.
BIGHANK

Last edited by bighank; 03-26-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To removing antenna motor

Quick Reply: removing antenna motor