Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

ECS 708 rwhp LS7 Vert by Tom Wong

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:57 PM
peelrubber
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECS 708 rwhp LS7 Vert by Tom Wong

A couple of years ago my LS7 conversion started out as a fully forged n/a h/c engine with 11.0 c.r. But in the back of my mind I always knew FI was a possibility that I couldn’t resist. Here are the recent mods to my Vert, performed of course by Tom Wong. I’m very happy with the results of 708rwhp and 651rwtq and peak boost of 8.8 PSI from ECS’ baby centri Paxton Novi 1500. Great bang for the $$$. This car is a DD and is very driveable despite the ton of power. (No more high-overlap cams with obnoxious fumes.) Note how much tq kicks in at 2500 RPM. This low-end tq rivals the older PD blowers. There is just the slightest hint of surging at very light throttle caused by blower reversion, but otherwise very well mannered, idles at 825 RPM. The wet-road MPG sucks at 12.2, and will probably settle at 10 MPG in summertime. Highway MPG is almost 24. Thanks to the General’s AHS for reigning in the car a few times already during both wet/dry conditions. I gotta learn to anticipate yaw at wet freeway speeds. (Note: this is not a high-end build such as the A&A YSI or ECS 2200, so you will see the power curve dip a bit at the high end. And I couldn’t wait any longer for a sensibly-priced twin-screw kit to come out.)

Original plan was to use standard 6-rib pulley and restrictor plate limiting boost to 6.5 PSI. That way I could avoid spending $1400 for an 8-rib to prevent belt slippage. With the restrictor plate the blower produced almost 8 PSI anyway and the belt slipped. So we had Blowerworks fab a slotted 6-rib. It seems to have solved the slippage issue except for a minor amount at 5900 RPM. I can live with that, and hope that belt durability will not be an issue. In the final outcome, we dispensed with the restrictor plate entirely and peaked at 8.9 PSI with a mere decrease of 0.5 PSI at the top-end.

ECS Paxton Novi SL1500
TIAL BOV
6-rib Blowerworks 3.25” pulley (just a hint of slippage at 5900RPM)
Custom blower cam ~224/244, 115LSA, 4 degrees overlap, XFI lobes
Patriot # 675 Springs
RPS Street Twin Carbon clutch/flywheel
ATI Balancer (std OD)
Bosch “044” supplemental fuel pump (“teed” into OEM regulated supply line)
Katech C5R Timing Chain
Z06 Bi-mode OEM mufflers (referenced to road speed)

Pics, dyno graph and video are below.

I’m done modding!!! Yes, believe it!! Except for the ECS Alky Control kit to help maintain ignition timing when the ambients increase in summertime.

See ya all at the shows this season.

Ray

Last edited by peelrubber; 03-11-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Added video.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:13 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by peelrubber
A couple of years ago my LS7 conversion started out as a fully forged n/a h/c engine with 11.0 c.r. But in the back of my mind I always knew FI was a possibility that I couldn’t resist. Here are the recent mods to my Vert, performed of course by Tom Wong. I’m very happy with the results of 708rwhp and 651rwtq and peak boost of 8.8 PSI from ECS’ baby centri Paxton Novi 1500. Great bang for the $$$. This car is a DD and is very driveable despite the ton of power. (No more high-overlap cams with obnoxious fumes.) Note how much tq kicks in at 2500 RPM. This low-end tq rivals the older PD blowers. There is just the slightest hint of surging at very light throttle caused by blower reversion, but otherwise very well mannered, idles at 825 RPM. The wet-road MPG sucks at 12.2, and will probably settle at 10 MPG in summertime. Highway MPG is almost 24. Thanks to the General’s AHS for reigning in the car a few times already during both wet/dry conditions. I gotta learn to anticipate yaw at wet freeway speeds. (Note: this is not a high-end build such as the A&A YSI or ECS 2200, so you will see the power curve dip a bit at the high end. And I couldn’t wait any longer for a sensibly-priced twin-screw kit to come out.)

Original plan was to use standard 6-rib pulley and restrictor plate limiting boost to 6.5 PSI. That way I could avoid spending $1400 for an 8-rib to prevent belt slippage. With the restrictor plate the blower produced almost 8 PSI anyway and the belt slipped. So we had Blowerworks fab a slotted 6-rib. It seems to have solved the slippage issue except for a minor amount at 5900 RPM. I can live with that, and hope that belt durability will not be an issue. In the final outcome, we dispensed with the restrictor plate entirely and peaked at 8.9 PSI with a mere decrease of 0.5 PSI at the top-end.

ECS Paxton Novi SL1500
TIAL BOV
6-rib Blowerworks 3.25” pulley (just a hint of slippage at 5900RPM)
Custom blower cam ~224/244, 115LSA, 4 degrees overlap, XFI lobes
Patriot # 675 Springs
RPS Street Twin Carbon clutch/flywheel
ATI Balancer (std OD)
Bosch “044” supplement fuel pump (“teed” into OEM regulated supply line)
Katech C5R Timing Chain
Z06 Bi-mode OEM mufflers (referenced to road speed)

Pics and dyno graph are below.

I’m done modding!!! Yes, believe it!! Except for the ECS Alky Control kit to help maintain ignition timing when the ambients increase in summertime.

See ya all at the shows this season.

Ray

Here is Rays dyno sheet:

This was a conservative tune up, its basically ECS's base blower kit making moderate boost at peak RPM and it breaks 700hp, not bad for a car that gets 24 MPG.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:23 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

You picked the best man in the business! Well done Tom!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:59 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,083 Likes on 655 Posts

Nice build guys, congrats!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts

Very nice!

It seemed like a short pull, only to 6K?

Done modding? Never!

Fixed.
Originally Posted by peelrubber
See ya all at the tracks this season.

Ray
Old 03-14-2010, 08:58 AM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

"There is just the slightest hint of surging at very light throttle caused by blower reversion, but otherwise very well mannered"

I'm curious regarding this comment as I'm think of SC for my C6.

This is the first time I've seen a bit of a downside comment to SC, is this something to expect in all applications?
Old 03-14-2010, 04:37 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CTD
"There is just the slightest hint of surging at very light throttle caused by blower reversion, but otherwise very well mannered"

I'm curious regarding this comment as I'm think of SC for my C6.

This is the first time I've seen a bit of a downside comment to SC, is this something to expect in all applications?
It is likely the "slight" surge is more from the camshaft than anything else, even though it is a small cam, it has a considerable amount of overlap that will cause the surge.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:55 PM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Tx's

Get notified of new replies

To ECS 708 rwhp LS7 Vert by Tom Wong

Quick Reply: ECS 708 rwhp LS7 Vert by Tom Wong