Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

What's the scoop for going to the Pikes Peak race?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 04:13 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default What's the scoop for going to the Pikes Peak race?

Attending this event is something on my car guy bucket list ....
Is Colorado Springs the best place to look for a hotel room? And if so, do you need to make a reservation months in advance?
Do you need to drive your car to Pikes Peak to watch them race, or is there an alternative (and better/less hassle) way of getting there from your lodging?
Once you pick a place to watch the race, are you basically stuck there for the entire day, or is there any way to move up or down the mountain to see the race from different vantage points?
Any other tips or things to know?
Thanks all for the advice and feedback

Last edited by wamara; 02-02-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:44 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

I would stay either in CS or Woodland Park.

You do have to drive up to your chosen spot on the mountain. Once the race starts you can not move.

I haven't been in a few years but we always enjoyed viewing from a spot on the mountain called the W's.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:07 PM
offroadr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

I agree with 7liter on the place to stay. Shouldn't need to reserve months out, but reservations are a good idea. If you go past the starting line which is a ways up the pikes peak road, (I want to say it starts around the campground at 9,000ft?) then, the only way down is to hike down... it's a long ways. If you park below the start line, then you can leave when ever. Yes, you can hike all over the mountain, if you'd like, but keep in mind at the altitude, if you aren't used to it, it'll be difficult. There are a good number of sheer walls, cliff, etc. which will hinder movement. If you have a medical need, then you can be evac'd but if it's alcohol related, you will be charged a hefty fee for the evac. Weather changes a lot, so be prepared for cold and hot weather, wet and dry, etc. Drink lots of water. I should be attending the race this year as well, before I deploy to afganistan so hopefully I'll see you out here.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:30 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks for the reply guys. I know that the road up the mountain is partly gravel - would it be okay to drive the vette, or is this not advisable? If need be, I could bring the "ordinary" car for this little adventure, but it would be fun to take the "long way" home through the mountains afterwards in the vette ....
Old 02-04-2010, 02:00 PM
offroadr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Part of it is paved, but most of it up there is just dirt. They maintain the road pretty well, I have seen a stock corvette up at the top of pike's peak... but if it's lowered - I don't know if it'll make it - it should, but you might have a good bit of dirt on the front.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the scoop for going to the Pikes Peak race?

Quick Reply: What's the scoop for going to the Pikes Peak race?