C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anybody running Edelbrock 170cc heads??

Old 01-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody running Edelbrock 170cc heads??

Now that i have my new 327 block with a blank stamp pad, i might as well upgrade to some nice heads.
Is anybody running edelbrock 60899 aluminum heads?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:34 PM
USALT1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, actually they are the 60739, the 70cc angle milled to 58cc. What do you want to know/
Old 01-31-2009, 05:37 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Do you like them? Are they worth the money?
I've read on some other forums that they flow very well even though their runners are smaller than the 180 afrs or trick flow heads.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2009, 07:51 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Why would you want such low flowing heads?? Didn't you have enough of this I want to play engine builder **** yet? I thought you were going to buy a GM crate motor?
Old 01-31-2009, 09:07 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

I just pulled my motor today and have a set of polished 64cc Edelbrocks waiting to go on. I can't wait.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:27 PM
USALT1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine bought these heads in the early '90's, but having the 70cc low compression chambers they didn't run that well. Another friend got them in a trade & had them angle milled to 58cc's. On my '71 LT1 shortblock with a retro LT1 cam they run pretty good. However, if I were buying new heads I'd spend the extra money for AFR's.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:32 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by USALT1
However, if I were buying new heads I'd spend the extra money for AFR's.

The advantage the Edelbrocks have over AFR's is that they have Heli-coils in all bolt holes and the use American made hardware. AFR's don't.

Jim
Old 01-31-2009, 11:45 PM
Tom Hewitt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Edelbrock heads are very efficient and fairly priced. I got 455 hp using the 64 cc heads and pistons set up for 11:1 +/-. The heads breath thru 4 48mm WEBER IDF carbs and the ci is 377 out of a WORLD aluminum block. The cam is a hydraulic roller from COMP Cams. Chevy Performance mag ran a test on these heads and found they out- flowed nearly all of the other manufacturer's offerings.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hitch
Why would you want such low flowing heads?? Didn't you have enough of this I want to play engine builder **** yet? I thought you were going to buy a GM crate motor?
I couldnt sell the shortblock 327 that was stamped incorrectly- not even for half price. So, i decided to keep the 327 instead of buying a crate engine. I had it decked to remove the incorrect numbers and now i am about to reassemble the blank pad block. This is the only engine i have ever had trouble with. I enjoy building them and even though i was down at times about this engine, i decided to stay persistant and not give up.
The edelbrock heads apparently put up great numbers regardless of their flow charts. i just wanted to get some first hand feedback.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:53 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkuzzy
I just pulled my motor today and have a set of polished 64cc Edelbrocks waiting to go on. I can't wait.
I put a 64 cc pair on my 327 2 years ago and they worked out great. Measured value of 10.25 CR (same as with the iron heads) I run the timing for the best performance without the pinging of the iron heads.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Corbrastang
I couldnt sell the shortblock 327 that was stamped incorrectly- not even for half price. So, i decided to keep the 327 instead of buying a crate engine. I had it decked to remove the incorrect numbers and now i am about to reassemble the blank pad block. This is the only engine i have ever had trouble with. I enjoy building them and even though i was down at times about this engine, i decided to stay persistant and not give up.
The edelbrock heads apparently put up great numbers regardless of their flow charts. i just wanted to get some first hand feedback.
I got it, I just hope you don't have any more problems with this motor it's painful to watch. Just my .02 I would think that the heads would limit you with such low volume. I guess if the flow numbers show something different go for it.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=Hitch;1568783513]I got it, I just hope you don't have any more problems with this motor it's painful to watch.

Amen to that!
Old 02-02-2009, 04:44 AM
ZLX
Instructor

The edelbrock heads apparently put up great numbers regardless of their flow charts.
"Now that my efficient wing design is complete.. I will
build my plane with something sturdy... concrete!!"

You also subscribe to a "Flat Earth" theory???......
Maybe if somebody on a Forum somewhere says the earth is flat
it's gotta be true.

Which of the below individuals has greater credibility

A. An Engineer or Serious Performance enthusiast who has measured
airflow capability of heads with scientific instrumentation....
(airflow which determines how much of the air/fuel mixture can
be delivered to equal power)

B. A Forum armchair "expert" who hasn't seen a dyno or flowbench
in his life but says "those heads are great!" because a car he
rode in seemed "fast" to him.... come on.

Brodix IK 180cc and RHS Aluminum 180cc's both flow better..both
cost less than the Edelbrocks..
If you want to run the Edelbrocks because you like the company
... fine.. those heads are capable of 440hp of theoretic airflow..nothing wrong with that.
But don't start proclaiming them "better than".. or taking the word of
generic guys on a forum somewhere or here as your comparison research.

Compare with CFM numbers... For the money, unless you just
prefer the Edelbrock name, there are alot better deals out there.

You can get the Aluminum 180 IK's for $423 each/bare.. $846/pair then add the rockers/springs/valves you want...

LT4 springs are used for the ZZ4 and LT4 Hot Cam Kit
They are $34 and good to .525 lift.. GM PART # 12495494

Midwest Motorsports Stainless 4000 Valves will be about $100
http://www.midwestmotorsportsinc.com...mini.php?id=74

Rockers.. your choice.. plenty of good equipment out there/cheap.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

I never said they were better. Ive never owned anything made by edelbrock except an intake, so i dont know if they are good heads or not. I actually have AFRs on another car and i would prefer those heads over others, but spending the additional money might not be worth it for this build. I understand that the 170cc heads would not be a good buy for anything over 327 cubic inches and would be a waste of money, but they might be good for this build. I was just trying to see if anybody had feedback on them.
I have not looked into any heads except the the three that i mentioned. I will look at the ones that you mention now that i know they are available at an equal or better price
Thanks

Last edited by Corbrastang; 02-02-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:05 AM
TrickFlowTech
Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

For about $50 more you can get into our 175cc cylinder heads. Check out the link.

http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail....2&autoview=sku
Old 02-03-2009, 01:14 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Now that i have my new 327 block with a blank stamp pad, i might as well upgrade to some nice heads.
Is anybody running edelbrock 60899 aluminum heads?

Thanks!
Almost , I have Edelbrock Alum oval ports on my 66 427, The original heads need major $$$$$ work....... dont worry they are warm & safe in my basement, purchased the Edelbrocks for $ 1,450 6/7 years ago ...my big block is a tourque monster ocasionally run the 1/4 oldies day ........ very low 13s

The Dog ...................
Old 02-03-2009, 02:15 PM
loosecannonzs
Intermediate

Air velocity makes power. He is using a 327 ci motor, not a 383, 406, 427 etc. Dont you think the wider power band with just alittle less peak hp would be good on a street car? I have not ported heads in while, but when i left, all out was for loose converters, big cams, high compression, and slicks.

The point of my post is not that 180 cc runners are too big, just dont go over board thinking the brodix track ones with 230 cc intake runners is the head for you since they flow high numbers.

And yes I have used flow benches and we even did some weird experiments with epoxy making air diverters from the valve guide to just before the seat part of the bowl. They got the air moving in the direction of the spark plug and out the exhaust. Those heads puked on the flow bench but made incredible power on the dyno.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody running Edelbrock 170cc heads??

Old 02-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Early Edelbrock heads suffered from design flaws but, after Chapman porting service in Utah was hired by Edelbrock they were VASTLY improved. The earlier heads do have and advantage in that they can with some work be easily disguised as OEM Chevy heads as many casting features are the same (you just need to do some milling on the ends of the heads.) My 72 LT-1 Vette went 12.28@117MPH in the 1/4 mile with early heads but, I spent 30 hours on them re-working them so the flow numbers did'nt go down due to turbulence at 0.500-0.550 lifts and overall flow numbers are simular to Vortec cast iron heads.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:54 AM
ZLX
Instructor

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
Early Edelbrock heads suffered from design flaws but, after Chapman porting service in Utah was hired by Edelbrock they were VASTLY improved. The earlier heads do have and advantage in that they can with some work be easily disguised as OEM Chevy heads as many casting features are the same (you just need to do some milling on the ends of the heads.) My 72 LT-1 Vette went 12.28@117MPH in the 1/4 mile with early heads but, I spent 30 hours on them re-working them so the flow numbers did'nt go down due to turbulence at 0.500-0.550 lifts and overall flow numbers are simular to Vortec cast iron heads.
Chapman didn't port Performers.... that is the part number Cobrastang
mentioned. Chapman's service was available at an extra charge through
Edelbrock on their 215cc Raised Runner heads, 18 degree heads, and
semi finished heads... all racing oriented. He did not offer porting on
small runner street heads.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:16 AM
STING67RAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

cobrastang, to your original question. yes i have used the 60899 heads. they are on my 67 original block 327. i did'nt notice much if any difference between the 60899 over my original cast iron heads. could be the exhaust restriction of my stock 2" manifolds and 1 7/8" sidepipes. but that's a chore for another day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody running Edelbrock 170cc heads??